Film and television discussion thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Guest-1
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: none

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by Guest-1 » 2 months ago

pjhair wrote:
2 months ago
Welcome Pas!! You have been missed :D :D

Thanks PJ :) hope you are well

Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 2 months ago

I was reminded of this really striking movie i watched in early 90s. It left such an impression on me even all these years later since I’ve seen it. I’m curious how it stands the test of time to younger viewers.

Has anyone watched this?
Attachments
0ECD24C5-0C59-4DB3-9D76-AD50E2B1FC6D.jpeg
0ECD24C5-0C59-4DB3-9D76-AD50E2B1FC6D.jpeg (96.22 KiB) Viewed 1156 times

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 2 months ago

Hairblues wrote:
2 months ago
I was reminded of this really striking movie i watched in early 90s. It left such an impression on me even all these years later since I’ve seen it. I’m curious how it stands the test of time to younger viewers.

Has anyone watched this?
This was one of my favourite films when I was like 15. Watched a few scenes after you mentioned it and not sure I'd relate to it in the same way anymore, I might see meandering emptiness where before I saw depth. The dialogue and particularly its rhythm and the editing still stunning though.

I think I prefer Secrets and Lies as my favourite Mike Leigh film. Would be nice to watch both of these in a cinema again.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by Hairblues » 2 months ago

JLBB wrote:
2 months ago
This was one of my favourite films when I was like 15. Watched a few scenes after you mentioned it and not sure I'd relate to it in the same way anymore, I might see meandering emptiness where before I saw depth. The dialogue and particularly its rhythm and the editing still stunning though.

I think I prefer Secrets and Lies as my favourite Mike Leigh film. Would be nice to watch both of these in a cinema again.
I never saw that one I will check it out. I do recall it but just never saw it for some reason.

Guest-1
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: none

Post by Guest-1 » 2 months ago

Hairblues wrote:
2 months ago

Has anyone watched this?
I never saw this movie Hairblues, but I think this guy is the actor in the last season of Fargo, and he is brilliant in it!
Fargo is a good show. I liked the movie, so I was afraid the show was going to be a disappointment, but it was not.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 1 month ago

A Korean movie that came out this year, Long Day’s Journey Into Night, apparently has a take, shot entirely in 3D, that is nearly 60 minutes long.

That sounds like a triumph of filmmaking skill. It makes me want to see it.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

This is shocking to me.

A comic book movie -- The Joker -- has won the award for best film at the Venice Film Festival.

That's not supposed to happen.

I plan on seeing it out of curiosity now. I don't know if it's actually going to be good, but I think that the controversy will possibly be more interesting than the movie itself.

My understanding is that the Joker is basically an incel, and the fact that a movie about incels is getting made is pissing off a lot of "film Twitter", which in turn is invigorating professional Hollywood.

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by pjhair » 1 month ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago
This is shocking to me.

A comic book movie -- The Joker -- has won the award for best film at the Venice Film Festival.

I plan on seeing it out of curiosity now. I don't know if it's actually going to be good, but I think that the controversy will possibly be more interesting than the movie itself.

My understanding is that the Joker is basically an incel, and the fact that a movie about incels is getting made is pissing off a lot of "film Twitter", which in turn is invigorating professional Hollywood.
I can't wait to watch the Joker.I am tired of watching formulaic superhero movies like End Game or Spiderman. Joker seems to be offering something different.

By the way, have you watched the new Amazon series The Boys? It's simply fantastic. Probably the best tv show I watched this year.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

pjhair wrote:
1 month ago
I can't wait to watch the Joker.I am tired of watching formulaic superhero movies like End Game or Spiderman. Joker seems to be offering something different.

By the way, have you watched the new Amazon series The Boys? It's simply fantastic. Probably the best tv show I watched this year.
I gave not seen it yet, what's it about?

I just finished Cobra Kai, and loved it. It is hard to move on from that series as the season two finale was such a cliffhanger.

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 1 month ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago
This is shocking to me.

How is being a psychopathic schizophrenic an incel? :|

Closest comic book character that I can think of offhand to an incel is spiderman

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Exodus wrote:
1 month ago
How is being a psychopathic schizophrenic an incel? :|

Closest comic book character that I can think of offhand to an incel is spiderman
I have not seen the movie, but it's something that people are mentioning. The screenplay has long been widely available and many people have seen the movie. You can do a Google search for "joker incel".

Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by Hairblues » 1 month ago

A film I’m interested in seeing is ‘Monos’
Last edited by Hairblues 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.

Char
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shave, wiggy or hatty.

Post by Char » 1 month ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago
I have not seen the movie, but it's something that people are mentioning. The screenplay has long been widely available and many people have seen the movie. You can do a Google search for "joker incel".
I suggest taking what the liberal media proclaims with a grain of salt. These are the same people that were puzzled why in Far Cry 5 the republicans were not depicted as evil motherfuckers. I google searched what you suggested, saw 'toxic masculinity' in one of the headlines and it became case closed for me.

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 1 month ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago
Yea so people mention it therefore its legit ??? :lol:

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Char wrote:
1 month ago
I suggest taking what the liberal media proclaims with a grain of salt. These are the same people that were puzzled why in Far Cry 5 the republicans were not depicted as evil motherfuckers. I google searched what you suggested, saw 'toxic masculinity' in one of the headlines and it became case closed for me.
I am taking it with a grain of salt, that's part of why I want to see the movie.