Film and television discussion thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
C4L
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: dropped finasteride after almost 2 years

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by C4L » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:43 am

I checked Netflix "Maniac" recently... Shittiest show ever. What the clowns.

NO ACTION AT ALL

imdb 8+

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:31 am

The walking dead has jumped a shark for me. I’m out.

I’m digging The Deuce season 2

yettee
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:44 am

C4L wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:43 am
I checked Netflix "Maniac" recently... Shittiest show ever. What the clowns.

NO ACTION AT ALL

imdb 8+
I like maniac. But it gets kinda worse later in the season. So if you hate the first few, you'd really hate the last few.

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: finasteride, min

Post by kj6723 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:43 am

I’m watching the Haunting of Hill House :o and also season 2 of Big Mouth :lol:

Season 3 of The Man in the High Castle was almost completely uninteresting. A huge disappointment after the first 2 seasons. Literally nothing interesting happened in 10 hour long episodes

I’ve been watching more documentaries lately. @Afro_Vacancy will be pleased to hear I went back and finished season 1 of Roman Empire, and I watched the Vietnam War(took fucking forever to finish)

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:57 pm

kj6723 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:43 am

Season 3 of The Man in the High Castle was almost completely uninteresting. A huge disappointment after the first 2 seasons. Literally nothing interesting happened in 10 hour long episodes

I’ve been watching more documentaries lately. @Afro_Vacancy will be pleased to hear I went back and finished season 1 of Roman Empire, and I watched the Vietnam War(took fucking forever to finish)
I keephearing of haunting if hill house that it’s good. You like? Or is it hype?

I’m watching the current season off the Deuce
Here/there I’ve caught some of Shameless and I want to catch up on ‘You’ which is surprisingly good.
It was originally a book Stephan King praised. It’skind of eerily interesting with modern day ease of adapting yourself to fit someone’s taste and preference from their social media accounts. It kind of touches on some stuff we all discuss here about women, social media, obsession and dating for 20 somethings. A thing it touches upon is the way ‘we’ want to imagine someone vs the reality of who they actually are.
It’s on lifetime BUT doesn’t seem like a typical Lifetime show. Reminds me more like what you see on Netflix, CW or TNT etc.
still have Ozark season 2 to watch.
I’ve been so busy so I’m watching a fraction of tv compared to last year at this time. I don’t see it lightening up for a long time.

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by kj6723 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:16 pm

Hairblues wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:57 pm
I keephearing of haunting if hill house that it’s good. You like? Or is it hype?

I’m watching the current season off the Deuce
Here/there I’ve caught some of Shameless and I want to catch up on ‘You’ which is surprisingly good.
It was originally a book Stephan King praised. It’skind of eerily interesting with modern day ease of adapting yourself to fit someone’s taste and preference from their social media accounts. It kind of touches on some stuff we all discuss here about women, social media, obsession and dating for 20 somethings. A thing it touches upon is the way ‘we’ want to imagine someone vs the reality of who they actually are.
It’s on lifetime BUT doesn’t seem like a typical Lifetime show. Reminds me more like what you see on Netflix, CW or TNT etc.
still have Ozark season 2 to watch.
I’ve been so busy so I’m watching a fraction of tv compared to last year at this time. I don’t see it lightening up for a long time.
I've watched 3 episodes and so far it's pretty riveting

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:03 am

kj6723 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:43 am

How did you find the two documentaries?

I agree on season 3 of man in the high castle. I don't see what the point of the season was. I also don't care for the parallel universe dimension-hopping shit. I'd rather they just explore one universe and see how it goes.

I'm watching season 3 of van Helsing and I'm enjoying it. It's a well done vampire/zombie apocalypse show.

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by kj6723 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:53 am

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:03 am
How did you find the two documentaries?

I agree on season 3 of man in the high castle. I don't see what the point of the season was. I also don't care for the parallel universe dimension-hopping shit. I'd rather they just explore one universe and see how it goes.

I'm watching season 3 of van Helsing and I'm enjoying it. It's a well done vampire/zombie apocalypse show.
I enjoyed the docs. They take a bit more concentration for me but I am trying to force myself to become more informed about history among other thing, so I’m enjoying the process and plan to continue watching many more.

With man in the high castle it’s almost like they got greedy trying to use creative scenarios. The “allies lost the war” thing was more than enough to create lots of riveting drama and storylines, but they basically forgot why the show was interesting and are now deadset on making this “nazis and sci-fi” thing the new focal point of the story. Midway through the season I was literally not interested in anything any of the main characters were doing, but I stuck with it hoping there would be some kind of payoff in the end....there wasn’t. I probably won’t bother with season 4 when it comes out unless it gets amazing reviews

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:12 pm

kj6723 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:53 am
I enjoyed the docs. They take a bit more concentration for me but I am trying to force myself to become more informed about history among other thing, so I’m enjoying the process and plan to continue watching many more.
They're very different. I think that Roman Empire was more "enjoyable", but I learned more in the Vietnam War doc. That's partly because it's longer, but also since it's recent history, and photography and video were actually invented, we actually know more.

What did you learn?
For Roman Empire, did you prefer season 1 or season 2? I think that I learned more in season 1, but I enjoyed season 2 more.

kj6723 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:53 am
With man in the high castle it’s almost like they got greedy trying to use creative scenarios. The “allies lost the war” thing was more than enough to create lots of riveting drama and storylines, but they basically forgot why the show was interesting and are now deadset on making this “nazis and sci-fi” thing the new focal point of the story. Midway through the season I was literally not interested in anything any of the main characters were doing, but I stuck with it hoping there would be some kind of payoff in the end....there wasn’t. I probably won’t bother with season 4 when it comes out unless it gets amazing reviews
It looks like we agree.

I was totally uninterested in Juliana Crane, who is nominally the main character. I'd prefer if they focused on the politics rather than the people.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:19 pm

I'm enjoying van Helsing season 3.

I'll be trying out Legacies, a new show from the CW.

Daredevil season 3 is great so far. I love how they're writing Wilson Fisk -- he's a brilliant man in the show. There's also a lot of social commentary on government corruption. I don't know how to describe it without spoiling it. Vincent D'Onofrio's acting is on point. Meanwhile, so is that of Deborah Ann Woll's, and she's also fucking stunning.

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by kj6723 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:16 am

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:12 pm
They're very different. I think that Roman Empire was more "enjoyable", but I learned more in the Vietnam War doc. That's partly because it's longer, but also since it's recent history, and photography and video were actually invented, we actually know more.

What did you learn?
For Roman Empire, did you prefer season 1 or season 2? I think that I learned more in season 1, but I enjoyed season 2 more.

It looks like we agree.

I was totally uninterested in Juliana Crane, who is nominally the main character. I'd prefer if they focused on the politics rather than the people.
I actually enjoyed Vietnam more but the length kind of got to me...by the end I was ready for it to be done so I could move on to something else.
I only watched season 1 of Roman Empire so far

In High Castle I think they should've done more with John Smith, and his growing position in the Nazi party simultaneously with his growing conflicted thoughts due to his family situation. I think there could have been a lot of potential there to create something interesting....actually I kind of assumed they would do something with it with how season 2 ended

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: big 3, microneedling for absorption

Post by koolaidshade » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:31 am

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:19 pm
I'm enjoying van Helsing season 3.

I'll be trying out Legacies, a new show from the CW.

Daredevil season 3 is great so far. I love how they're writing Wilson Fisk -- he's a brilliant man in the show. There's also a lot of social commentary on government corruption. I don't know how to describe it without spoiling it. Vincent D'Onofrio's acting is on point. Meanwhile, so is that of Deborah Ann Woll's, and she's also fucking stunning.
I feel like Legacies will probably be like a pg-13 mix of harry potter, teen wolf, and supernatural.

I'm still gonna watch it because i enjoy the TVD universe and dont really want the whole thing to end.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:28 am

Okay 2 episodes in Hill House...I’m sleeping with lights on and looking at my cat a little side eye.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: big 3, microneedling for absorption

Post by koolaidshade » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:35 am

watched the first 2 episodes of altered carbon.

Its alright so far, but the dialogue audio is complete shit. the background/music is louder than the dialogue and its hard to hear what the characters are saying/mumbling.

I havent figured out how to turn on subtitles on my roommate's blue ray whatever thingy, and i cant really turn up the volume too loud for obvious reasons

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:37 am

koolaidshade wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:35 am
watched the first 2 episodes of altered carbon.

Its alright so far, but the dialogue audio is complete shit. the background/music is louder than the dialogue and its hard to hear what the characters are saying/mumbling.

I havent figured out how to turn on subtitles on my roommate's blue ray whatever thingy, and i cant really turn up the volume too loud for obvious reasons
I watch nearly everything with subtitles.