Film and television discussion thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by Hairblues » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Admin wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:27 pm
I could frame my life as a gigantic victim if I wanted to, I can come up with a narrative now and it would be true. My best friend who's a lawyer and an executive in one of the top companies in Belgium says he's a victim and he's facing unfair discrmination because he's Muslim.

Because sometimes he gets odd looks (or so he thinks) and one time, he got turned down for a position of CFO. Is his opinion reliable? Not at all, some people just want to remain victims because it offers ready-to-use excuses for one's failures.

I'll address the other points later. For now I'd just advise you to stop pretending like there is no debate around some subjects. There is racism and unfair discrmination in the West, however, it's an anomaly, not the norm.

Taking the anomaly to assess a rule and say "most people in the West are bad and racist" is called splitting, which is part of the defense mechanisms narcissists (yes, again!) use to protect their unearned sense of superiority.
What about men who are discriminated against in the Me Too movement? Or by feminists?

Perspective is really important when you have empathy for what other people ‘might’ be going through that you can’t underarand.

I mean you can’t possibky be in someone else’s shoes. I can’t be a white man in my 20s in 2018...so how would I be able to understand that maybe they are indeed feeling discriminated on college campuses or entering the workforce. Like they are afraid to date because a woman may accuse them of something ans shame them.
I assure you it sounds absurd at first, but enough of you say it over the past two years I feel it has at least some validity.
Why can’t yoj do the same thing for black people? That perhaps you can’t possibly know what is is to be in their set of shoes their skin and maybe you can try to listen from their perspective to have some empathy.

C4L
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: dropped finasteride after almost 2 years

Post by C4L » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:08 pm

Checked the Black Mirror just recently.

Definitely one of the best tv show ever.

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:44 am

I agree with Fred to an extent. In my dealings with the local and state bureaucracies the odds seem to be stacked heavily in your favour if you happen to be indigenous or a recently arrived non-white immigrant.

But, on a social level (interacting with the local communities) the indigenous and non-whites do suffer a form of discrimination, especially in the dating sphere.

That's just my small sample to offer this debate.
For the white kids in Chiraq

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:35 pm

I’m watching Better call Saul....I’m on season 3 (current) I still like it. It’s a little more chill (slow) than B.B.
You’re definitely not on edge of seat. But ‘Jimmy/Saul’ is interesting so is Mike.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: big 3, microneedling for absorption

Post by koolaidshade » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:13 pm

I watched all of the vampire diaries and most of the originals. I'm not ashamed to say TVD was my favorite show, and I was pretty bummed for it to end, especially with how the ending could have been a bit better.

I might check out the Charmed reboot series this week. I've always been a fan of the more "feminine" shows, but they also happen to have more elaborate drama and character interactions. Most people who bash on these shows watch dumb stuff like anime or capeshit so its not like it matters anyways...

yettee
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:28 am

Hairblues wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:35 pm
I’m watching Better call Saul....I’m on season 3 (current) I still like it. It’s a little more chill (slow) than B.B.
You’re definitely not on edge of seat. But ‘Jimmy/Saul’ is interesting so is Mike.
Current season is the 4th season! I just finished ep 6, the most recent one. Excellent...

Something interesting for me about both this show and BB is that they dont get worse as they age, and arguably they even improve. I'm not a huge watcher of TV shows but from what I've seen virtually every show eventually ages poorly, including the all time great ones. The writing gets stale etc. After season 2 the sopranos goes downhill, last seasons of Seinfeld, Curb your E, Simpsons, Star Trek Next Generation etc etc. They kinda peter out. So it really says something about v. gilligan and the creators of these 2 shows that they stay at the same level. Theres a story to tell and they tell it, no tacking on anything extraneous.

rclark
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas every day.
This is the hairline and entire vertex area.

Post by rclark » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:13 am

yettee wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:28 am
Current season is the 4th season! I just finished ep 6, the most recent one. Excellent...

Something interesting for me about both this show and BB is that they dont get worse as they age, and arguably they even improve. I'm not a huge watcher of TV shows but from what I've seen virtually every show eventually ages poorly, including the all time great ones. The writing gets stale etc. After season 2 the sopranos goes downhill, last seasons of Seinfeld, Curb your E, Simpsons, Star Trek Next Generation etc etc. They kinda peter out. So it really says something about v. gilligan and the creators of these 2 shows that they stay at the same level. Theres a story to tell and they tell it, no tacking on anything extraneous.
The Sopranos did go down hill, and fast. That is true. The late, great James Gandolfini. Nobody
can fill his shoes.

Even Queen of the South has gone down hill. The best stories and seasons are usually the first,
sometimes the second.

yettee
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice

Post by yettee » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:07 pm

rclark wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:13 am
The Sopranos did go down hill, and fast. That is true. The late, great James Gandolfini. Nobody
can fill his shoes.

Even Queen of the South has gone down hill. The best stories and seasons are usually the first,
sometimes the second.
The worst for me on the Sopranos was all the drama involving the daughter and her boyfriend(s?). Probably that started in season 3, it was like they had no idea what to do with the story and family anymore so why not write endless conversations and fights with boyfriends. At that I stopped watching.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:25 pm

yettee wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:28 am

I’m watching current season also. I’m up to 5 and missed first 1. Got confused with seasons #

Yeah. It’s solid. I like it very much. I’m also starting to get into Fear The Walking Dead since they did some major cast reshuffling. It’s more cerebral than TWD less action.

I’m also watching the Kevin Costner series totally by accident but it’s pretty good. Yellowstone. It’s not super great but it’s good.

And I eventually have to start Ozark season 2 when I have the time to binge.

I finished Animal Kingdom which I like both man candy and Ellen’s barkin is super creepy in it. When she calls her adult sons ‘Baby’ it’s kind of chilling lol.

And I watched a teenage black comedy on Netflix that was okay-good. I was curious because it was accused of fat shaming. I didn’t think so at all. It’s just not P.C.

yettee
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice

Post by yettee » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:38 pm

Ya it is very solid.
I havent seen any of these other shows but Ellen Barkin is great. I think in Sea of Love shes incredible. Love that movie...

rclark
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas every day.
This is the hairline and entire vertex area.

Post by rclark » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:22 pm

yettee wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:07 pm
The worst for me on the Sopranos was all the drama involving the daughter and her boyfriend(s?). Probably that started in season 3, it was like they had no idea what to do with the story and family anymore so why not write endless conversations and fights with boyfriends. At that I stopped watching.
It did get old. One of her boyfriends was killed in the Mafia, then the racial issues on the show
with her other boyfriend, and then one wanted to make his way up in the Mafia.

I didn't even watch the last season of the Sopranos (a few episodes). It got really stupid.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:26 pm

koolaidshade wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:13 pm
I watched all of the vampire diaries and most of the originals. I'm not ashamed to say TVD was my favorite show, and I was pretty bummed for it to end, especially with how the ending could have been a bit better.

I might check out the Charmed reboot series this week. I've always been a fan of the more "feminine" shows, but they also happen to have more elaborate drama and character interactions. Most people who bash on these shows watch dumb stuff like anime or capeshit so its not like it matters anyways...
I've watched all of the Vampire Diaries and The Originals. I'd rank them as neither amazing nor terrible, just enjoyable. It's widely regarded as trash, I don't know if that's true but if so then so be it. I'll probably try out Legacies.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:07 pm

yettee wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:38 pm
Ya it is very solid.
I havent seen any of these other shows but Ellen Barkin is great. I think in Sea of Love shes incredible. Love that movie...
Sea of love was awesome.

She was hot. For a long time. Never pretty or beautiful but hot. Best body. Another hot one was with Dennis Quaid. The Big Easy. He’s was soooooooo cute when he was young. Breaking Away I watched so many times as a little girl lol.

Uncle Grandfather
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: 5% Minoxidil, 1 mg Finasteride, Nizoral

Post by Uncle Grandfather » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:04 pm

Hairblues wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:25 pm
Yeah I’m not reading all this sorry. I skimmed it.
Why do you take the time to read other's posts but not mine? Can you explain?
Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind

JeanLucBB
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JeanLucBB » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:32 pm

rclark wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:22 pm
It did get old. One of her boyfriends was killed in the Mafia, then the racial issues on the show
with her other boyfriend, and then one wanted to make his way up in the Mafia.

I didn't even watch the last season of the Sopranos (a few episodes). It got really stupid.
You never watched the final episode even? It was the middle of the series that was meandering in my opinion, the ending was top-tier. The show definitely lacked the succinctness of The Wire or Breaking Bad for example though.