Film and television discussion thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by Hairblues » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:37 pm

Admin wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:13 am
They never define it on the left and it's a term you can play around with indefinitely.

It basically means that life is unfair because some people have more than others in some areas.

So yeah, they can take any characteristic and say "well look, some people are fitter than others, that's thin privilege, we need to fight that!"

Any advantage you have can be weighted and will potentially translate in increased social status and ultimately money.

I'm tall so in theory (and it will remain theory for me :p), I make 10% more money than shorter men.

So one day, since they haven't used that one yet (but don't worry, it's coming), they will say: "well it's not fair, why should those guys earn more just because they're taller! SOCIAL INJUSTICE!"

So this expression "social justice" can mean anything, and it's basically used to shame those who do better in life, and it's really almost all about resentment, envy and jealousy, not always though and I'll come back to that later.

The social justice warriors types can go as far as telling you that you're doing well because you were fortunate enough to have loving parents and other people didn't, so they should get preferential treatment, or that Asians are naturally more gifted when it comes to IQ so they should put the bar higher for them (it has already been put into practice in American colleges, and they are currently suing the universities).

Sometimes resentment about not being able to make it (or make it easily) is justified. Some people were really unfortunate and found themselves having an average IQ, and if those people are for some reason expected by their parents to make it at university, they won't be able to, no matter how much they torture themselves.

And we also have a good example that floats around on hair loss forums: being short, bald, ugly or a combination of the three as a man. Then surprisingly, even the social justice warrior types will have no hesitation to tell those guys to suck it up and tell them that their disadvantages are all in their heads.

Those are extreme cases of course. But I know that the most intense resentment I've ever felt in my life were in moments that people were holding me to impossible standards given my personality make-up or genetic traits. Imagine someone telling you: "well I know why you lost your hair, you were not taking care of it properly and you didn't really want to keep it, that's why you went bald!"

You can get mad at that injustice, fair enough. But saying "I'm prone to anxiety so I need more time to complete my exams!" I'm sorry but, no.

These guys took it way too far:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/22073/be ... frank-camp

CK has been clear from his perspective what he is protesting.

If you disagree with why he protesting or how he’s doing it doesn’t really matter.

He’s American and he has a right to protest. NFL also has a right not to sign or support him. He made a choice nd that’s it.

The main point is he is not protesting the military. And we all know it. Trump did a great Svengali job to make it about something else
But that is his sole talent. Branding.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling every 10 days

Post by Admin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Hairblues wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:37 pm

If you disagree with why he protesting or how he’s doing it doesn’t really matter.

He’s American and he has a right to protest. NFL also has a right not to sign or support him. He made a choice nd that’s it.

The main point is he is not protesting the military. And we all know it. Trump did a great Svengali job to make it about something else
Yeah I know, he protests over the supposedly unfair treatment of minorities, as if it was based on thin air and there was not more way violence on average in the black community.

Different continent, same debate than in Europe with Arab people, it's unfair that we're weary of them, that the old lady crosses the street when an Arab is coming her way and that cops search them way more.

Reality remains reality, a very large proportion of all the crimes in Belgium are committed by Arab people, while they only make up for 8% of the population so yeah, that's saying a lot.

In both cases, what the (radical) left is telling people is that: what you see is not real, what you hear is not real, and if you talk about it, it's like you're the one making the problem happen.

Anyway, we can see right now where telling people they are fools leads to: Trump and the rise of right-wing governments all over Europe. And instead of leaning from their huge mistakes, the left and center-left stubbornly keeps on using the same tactics.

They're doing it right now in Belgium as the municipal elections are coming up next month. The themes that are now looping: Belgians are all racist, look at the racist comments we can still find on the internet, look at that handful of extremists who posted a racist meme! You're all racist I'm telling you, fall in line! We need diversity! What? You're against it? It's because you're a bigoted racist!

I'm not necessarily pleased with the backlash, but it's mind-boggling to see the left vigorously saw the branch on which they're sitting. Some people still don't see this and even my boss thinks that there could be a "blue wave" in the next US mid-terms. Watch closely, because it's going to happen again, and it will as long as the left doesn't get its act together.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:14 pm

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:50 pm
@Hairblues do you know any people with a lot of experience at CBS and connections to Les Moonves? What's your reaction to the spiraling allegations against him? Have you read Linda Thomason's article?
I worked for a show that aired on CBS but I didn’t work for cbs. I worked there for a few years I was paid by the studio they filmed and I worked on set. I don’t think I ever met CBS executives. I knew producers on the show. Maybe at parties and events but I don’t recall.
No one ever harassed me. Some married men asked me out here/there I said no, but I never felt harassed by them.

I’m not following it. I follow more the 12 on/12 off. And Slates for Sara. These things are much more important subjects to me personally. Because I have been in much more physically dangerous situations due to negligence and have almost fallen asleep driving many many times from exhaustion vs sexual harassment.

I know two crew women who said they had Harvey encounters they came out AFTER everything broke. I don’t know their personal details. They are just crew not actresses. A Unit production manager and a set decorator. I had no clue.

I have been sexually harassed badly by an indie director and it sucks balls. So I’m not minimizing it.
I’ve also been harassed/humiliated/abused which was not sexual as far as I know by an Oscar winning DP.
The sexual harassment was actually easier to stop than the mentally abusive situation. (Oscar has a lot of clout -an indie director doesn’t)
Other than this i have only been ‘annoyed’ by extras hanger ons, tech advisors. Which I don’t feel is harassment it’s just annoying as fuck and usually you tell someone to fuck off, it stops.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:15 pm

Admin wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:00 pm
Yeah I know, he protests over the supposedly unfair treatment of minorities, as if it was based on thin air and there was not more way violence on average in the black community.

Different continent, same debate than in Europe with Arab people, it's unfair that we're weary of them, that the old lady crosses the street when an Arab is coming her way and that cops search them way more.

Reality remains reality, a very large proportion of all the crimes in Belgium are committed by Arab people, while they only make up for 8% of the population so yeah, that's saying a lot.

In both cases, what the (radical) left is telling people is that: what you see is not real, what you hear is not real, and if you talk about it, it's like you're the one making the problem happen.

Anyway, we can see right now where telling people they are fools leads to: Trump and the rise of right-wing governments all over Europe. And instead of leaning from their huge mistakes, the left and center-left stubbornly keeps on using the same tactics.

They're doing it right now in Belgium as the municipal elections are coming up next month. The themes that are now looping: Belgians are all racist, look at the racist comments we can still find on the internet, look at that handful of extremists who posted a racist meme! You're all racist I'm telling you, fall in line! We need diversity! What? You're against it? It's because you're a bigoted racist!

I'm not necessarily pleased with the backlash, but it's mind-boggling to see the left vigorously saw the branch on which they're sitting. Some people still don't see this and even my boss thinks that there could be a "blue wave" in the next US mid-terms. Watch closely, because it's going to happen again, and it will as long as the left doesn't get its act together.

I think it’s different because the context of history.
Arabs are choosing to come to your country. They aren’t there because their ancestors were abduxted and forced to your continent and sold into slavary where even just 40-60(?) years ago they didn’t have the same rights to sit at a counter, take a seat on a bus, vote etc.

You can disagree with social injustice in USA as defined by ‘whoever’...but the context of history has a place in that kind of debate (meaning what’s happening in Europe vs USA, more precisely the Arab immigrants in Europe vs blacks born USA citizens)

Edit

Yeah you can definitely debate the cause of the racial profiling. It’s definitely due to higher level of crimes committed by black people. Okay. But that’s denied by police and more police unions.

Here’s my personal beef. It’s the police unions. I think They are so afraid of litigation, they never just admit to mistakes...so they often justify what to most people seems unjustified...it’s a mistake...okay own the mistake. They show no remorse. And I think part of the cold way they handle these mistakes is why they get the backlash.
Their just seems to be such a cold lack of remorse. That’s what bothers me personally the most. And I think the reason they do it like that, is they don’t want to be held civil liable.

Also innocent black people are not responsible for criminal black people. It’s not fair that the innocent have to pay for the guilty because they share the skin color. The same way men shouldn’t be held responsible for those who are rapists. You share a gender sure, but it’s not fair to profile all men as potential rapists either just because rape is committed by men.

You don’t want innocent men to be profiled for this at college campuses...it’s not the same level, I’m definitely not saying it is, im just trying to show you or point out is the emotional impact to the people who are actually innocent. For those people it at least ‘feels’ like injustice. And that’s where they protest it to bring awareness to an issue that’s important to them.
Agree or disagree, doesn’t really matter (I’m talking NFL and racial profiling etc).

(Back to the knee)
End of day it’s not about the troops or loving the country which is what the right keep misinterpreting it as. I guess because it makes them feel morally superior. Once they invoke the troops, it causes moral outrage.
The police is not the military.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Hairblues wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:15 pm
I think it’s different because the context of history.
Arabs are choosing to come to your country. They aren’t there because their ancestors were abduxted and forced to your continent and sold into slavary where even just 40-60(?) years ago they didn’t have the same rights to sit at a counter, take a seat on a bus, vote etc.

You can disagree with social injustice in USA as defined by ‘whoever’...but the context of history has a place in that kind of debate (meaning what’s happening in Europe vs USA, more precisely the Arab immigrants in Europe vs blacks born USA citizens)

Edit

Yeah you can definitely debate the cause of the racial profiling. It’s definitely due to higher level of crimes committed by black people. Okay. But that’s denied by police and more police unions.

Here’s my personal beef. It’s the police unions. I think They are so afraid of litigation, they never just admit to mistakes...so they often justify what to most people seems unjustified...it’s a mistake...okay own the mistake. They show no remorse. And I think part of the cold way they handle these mistakes is why they get the backlash.
Their just seems to be such a cold lack of remorse. That’s what bothers me personally the most. And I think the reason they do it like that, is they don’t want to be held civil liable.

Also innocent black people are not responsible for criminal black people. It’s not fair that the innocent have to pay for the guilty because they share the skin color. The same way men shouldn’t be held responsible for those who are rapists. You share a gender sure, but it’s not fair to profile all men as potential rapists either just because rape is committed by men.

You don’t want innocent men to be profiled for this at college campuses...it’s not the same level, I’m definitely not saying it is, im just trying to show you or point out is the emotional impact to the people who are actually innocent. For those people it at least ‘feels’ like injustice. And that’s where they protest it to bring awareness to an issue that’s important to them.
Agree or disagree, doesn’t really matter (I’m talking NFL and racial profiling etc).

(Back to the knee)
End of day it’s not about the troops or loving the country which is what the right keep misinterpreting it as. I guess because it makes them feel morally superior. Once they invoke the troops, it causes moral outrage.
The police is not the military.
Using slavery as an excuse to act morally superior to white people in the US is a strategy, and make no mistake, Arabs manage to use it in Europe too.

There was no slavery you'll tell me, oh but when you want to portray yourself as a victim, there are infinite ways to do so. What Arab people in Belgium do (even though they come from Morocco) is to blast at you: "and the colonization?!".

It's almost entirely a tactic to shame and silence your opponents and to continue to gain unearned power and moral superiority. We get it, all civilizations in the world were guilty of horrendous crimes at a point in their history, but as far as I can tell, only white people are ever shamed for the lowest acts they've committed in the past.

Arabs sold black slaves, the Ottoman empire omitted horrible genocides, black tribes genocided other black tribes many times to name a few examples, yet you never hear that they should feel guilty and walk on eggshells all the time.

So yeah, I'd say that it's mostly a power trip. Is there really a point to reminding a group of people "you know we're not all the same and some of us are nice?" Of course we do and that's not what we are talking about when we say that there is a problem with Muslims in Europe.

We're just at least trying to address the problem, just like some intellectuals (and some of them are black themselves like Thomas Sowell) are trying to at least have a discussion abut the obvious problems in the black community in the US.

I almost never judge an Arab guy on his ethnicity, barely anyone does, and I think it's the same with black guys in the US. It's almost entirely the left who's obsessed with racism (because they're projecting) and since there's almost none left, they're manufacturing it.

Look, fighting against racism, for the rights of women, gay rights were once very noble fights, and the people in those fights deserved praise, hell believe it or not but in Europe, the fight just resumed. Yes it had been won but now Islam is growing in Europe so people have to fight that fight all over again! We even have to remind Muslims that blasphemy laws have been abolished like a century ago and we have no intention of inviting the new Arab inquisition into our countries.

After writing all the above, I remember what I always think when I see part of America pretending that there is a huge problem with the black community in the US. This one looks partly solvable to me: less single motherhood on its own would do wonders. And at least there is a discussion about that subject going on in the US, and it's possible because you won't risk being beheaded if you do.

Anyway, it's quite interesting to compare those two issues as I think that there are similarities, particularly in the victimhood culture narrative that Arab people adhered to very naturally. I'd say that whether it's for black people in the US or Arab people in Europe, the fight has already largely been won when it comes to racism, and I mean real racism, not picking apart the handful of racist comments you'd always get on any publication as a proof that America/Europe is racist to the core. That's it, they've won. But a lot of leftist authoritarians are now thinking "but I want to keep fighting, gimme some racists! Look! A cartoon of Serena Williams! REEEEEE!"
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:02 pm

Hairblues wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:37 pm

I support Colin Kapernick's right to kneel.
He has personally taken a major hit to his livelyhood and his reputation and this has to be admired.
Stop the caravans!

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:26 pm

Admin wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:08 pm
Using slavery as an excuse to act morally superior to white people in the US is a strategy, and make no mistake, Arabs manage to use it in Europe too.

There was no slavery you'll tell me, oh but when you want to portray yourself as a victim, there are infinite ways to do so. What Arab people in Belgium do (even though they come from Morocco) is to blast at you: "and the colonization?!".

It's almost entirely a tactic to shame and silence your opponents and to continue to gain unearned power and moral superiority. We get it, all civilizations in the world were guilty of horrendous crimes at a point in their history, but as far as I can tell, only white people are ever shamed for the lowest acts they've committed in the past.

Arabs sold black slaves, the Ottoman empire omitted horrible genocides, black tribes genocided other black tribes many times to name a few examples, yet you never hear that they should feel guilty and walk on eggshells all the time.

So yeah, I'd say that it's mostly a power trip. Is there really a point to reminding a group of people "you know we're not all the same and some of us are nice?" Of course we do and that's not what we are talking about when we say that there is a problem with Muslims in Europe.

We're just at least trying to address the problem, just like some intellectuals (and some of them are black themselves like Thomas Sowell) are trying to at least have a discussion abut the obvious problems in the black community in the US.

I almost never judge an Arab guy on his ethnicity, barely anyone does, and I think it's the same with black guys in the US. It's almost entirely the left who's obsessed with racism (because they're projecting) and since there's almost none left, they're manufacturing it.

Look, fighting against racism, for the rights of women, gay rights were once very noble fights, and the people in those fights deserved praise, hell believe it or not but in Europe, the fight just resumed. Yes it had been won but now Islam is growing in Europe so people have to fight that fight all over again! We even have to remind Muslims that blasphemy laws have been abolished like a century ago and we have no intention of inviting the new Arab inquisition into our countries.

After writing all the above, I remember what I always think when I see part of America pretending that there is a huge problem with the black community in the US. This one looks partly solvable to me: less single motherhood on its own would do wonders. And at least there is a discussion about that subject going on in the US, and it's possible because you won't risk being beheaded if you do.

Anyway, it's quite interesting to compare those two issues as I think that there are similarities, particularly in the victimhood culture narrative that Arab people adhered to very naturally. I'd say that whether it's for black people in the US or Arab people in Europe, the fight has already largely been won when it comes to racism, and I mean real racism, not picking apart the handful of racist comments you'd always get on any publication as a proof that America/Europe is racist to the core. That's it, they've won. But a lot of leftist authoritarians are now thinking "but I want to keep fighting, gimme some racists! Look! A cartoon of Serena Williams! REEEEEE!"

No. Slavary set up a construct of society in this country where these people for many years were born into. That’s not the same as a country people choose to migrate into. Apples and oranges.
You can debate the relevance of the construct in today’s modern society in USA and that is a part of the on going debate. But you can’t equate it to your Arab situation.
I mean you can do it but seems odd comparison to me and you actually in my opinion weaken your legitimate point by trying to find parallels to the USA black American citizens issues.

We were discussing on the television thread about NFL and how Trump twisted the football players who kneel as being unpatriotic to our military and somehow we wind up on Arabs in Belgium and their is a paralalle how exactly?

I get it conversations evolve. But it just seems like a huge leap.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Hairblues wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:26 pm
No. Slavary set up a construct of society in this country where these people for many years were born into. That’s not the same as a country people choose to migrate into. Apples and oranges.
You can debate the relevance of the construct in today’s modern society in USA and that is a part of the on going debate. But you can’t equate it to your Arab situation.
I mean you can do it but seems odd comparison to me and you actually in my opinion weaken your legitimate point by trying to find parallels to the USA black American citizens issues.

We were discussing on the television thread about NFL and how Trump twisted the football players who kneel as being unpatriotic to our military and somehow we wind up on Arabs in Belgium and their is a paralalle how exactly?

I get it conversations evolve. But it just seems like a huge leap.
Not a huge leap in my opinion, widespread victim mentality in both cases. At least, that's what they want to sell us in both cases. And unsurprisingly, a lot of people in those minorities don't hesitate for one second to jump on the bandwagon.

I mostly see it as buying cheap virtue, non-fights against non-problems because really trying to find solutions to complex problems is often just too damn hard.

So people "take the knee" and go to the local women's march. Or in Belgium, they protest "against racism and discrimination" like they did last week-end. 200 people attended. Less and less people go along this nonsense.

Arab people didn't even choose to migrate to Europe by the way, we invited them! Europe needed to be rebuilt after the second World War and they helped us to do that. And of course it's something that they like to hold over our heads when you criticize Islam: "Oh yeah, well Muslims built your public transport infrastructures!"

What is the problem here exactly, what are we even talking about when it comes to the black community in the US? I don't know what these people are fighting for, what kind of problem there is, what they want to do about it and what they expect to change. It really seems that keeping it vague is part of the plan, as the more you dig, the more you realize there's barely anything there.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:31 pm

It's weird to see people who are not American, have not lived in the USA, and are otherwise unfamiliar with the USA deliver grand prognostications on the status of American society, particularly that of American Blacks (in this case).

It is fine, and normal, if you're not familiar, but in that case you should be content to read and to ask questions, rather than to deliver answers. The latter approach is not only arrogant, but narcissistic (the most popular term on here), as it assumes that one is so intelligent that they can arrive at correct conclusions in the absence of underlying knowledge.

The situation for Blacks in the USA is abysmal, and it is one that they are born into without a choice. Their schools are less well funded and less well managed. Banks refuse to lend to Blacks (that's called "redlining"), employers refuse to hire them, and courts will give them longer jail sentences for the same crimes. They are routinely executed without cause by police officers, and are thus required to live in a constant state of fear. They have lesser access to social services, job, and basic necessities.

In my second year in the USA, I lived in a Black neighborhood. There was often an excess of police cars driving around and making noise but doing nothing. The place was a food desert, with no good food nearby, the grocery stores mostly sold junk. Most restaurants refused to deliver.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Hairblues wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:14 pm
I worked for a show that aired on CBS but I didn’t work for cbs. I worked there for a few years I was paid by the studio they filmed and I worked on set. I don’t think I ever met CBS executives. I knew producers on the show. Maybe at parties and events but I don’t recall.
No one ever harassed me. Some married men asked me out here/there I said no, but I never felt harassed by them.

I’m not following it. I follow more the 12 on/12 off. And Slates for Sara. These things are much more important subjects to me personally. Because I have been in much more physically dangerous situations due to negligence and have almost fallen asleep driving many many times from exhaustion vs sexual harassment.

I know two crew women who said they had Harvey encounters they came out AFTER everything broke. I don’t know their personal details. They are just crew not actresses. A Unit production manager and a set decorator. I had no clue.

I have been sexually harassed badly by an indie director and it sucks balls. So I’m not minimizing it.
I’ve also been harassed/humiliated/abused which was not sexual as far as I know by an Oscar winning DP.
The sexual harassment was actually easier to stop than the mentally abusive situation. (Oscar has a lot of clout -an indie director doesn’t)
Other than this i have only been ‘annoyed’ by extras hanger ons, tech advisors. Which I don’t feel is harassment it’s just annoying as fuck and usually you tell someone to fuck off, it stops.
I had not heard of those two movements, but they both seem wonderful. "12on12off" has a lot of analogues in other fields, for example a lot of medical residents are pushing back against the absurdly long shifts that they work.

I'm sorry about what's happened to you. I've never been sexually harassed, I have been bullied and harassed in other means, and it's pretty awful.

Almost falling asleep while driving is something that has happened to me as well. One time it was work related, I did a night shift (at a telescope, makes sense) and the nearby hotel had a policy of no checkouts after 11:00am. So I drove for four hours after that, in traffic and on highways, after having only slept for three hours. It was dangerous, and I wrote a long report telling them that they were negligent, endangering safety, and that people could die. The hotel subsequently had a policy that late checkout was permitted at a cost of $25/hour.

The US has a major problem with traffic fatalities: ~40,000 Americans die on the road every year. That's ridiculous.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:45 pm

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:31 pm
It's weird to see people who are not American, have not lived in the USA, and are otherwise unfamiliar with the USA deliver grand prognostications on the status of American society, particularly that of American Blacks (in this case).

It is fine, and normal, if you're not familiar, but in that case you should be content to read and to ask questions, rather than to deliver answers. The latter approach is not only arrogant, but narcissistic (the most popular term on here), as it assumes that one is so intelligent that they can arrive at correct conclusions in the absence of underlying knowledge.

The situation for Blacks in the USA is abysmal, and it is one that they are born into without a choice. Their schools are less well funded and less well managed. Banks refuse to lend to Blacks (that's called "redlining"), employers refuse to hire them, and courts will give them longer jail sentences for the same crimes. They are routinely executed without cause by police officers, and are thus required to live in a constant state of fear. They have lesser access to social services, job, and basic necessities.

In my second year in the USA, I lived in a Black neighborhood. There was often an excess of police cars driving around and making noise but doing nothing. The place was a food desert, with no good food nearby, the grocery stores mostly sold junk. Most restaurants refused to deliver.
It's quite insulting to say that I have no right to express myself over that above subject just because I've never lived in the US. I'd say that I probably know more about politics and societal problems in the US than on my own continent.

Is the knowledge about the state of American societies not publicly available? I can't read it? Try to understand it? I never claimed to know the truth or that my analysis was right. You are the one making that conclusion here, and that is what is narcissistic here, as it's projection.

Your main argument here is that you know better because you've lived in a black neighborhood, and fair enough, I use the same argument when people say it's not that bad in Belgium. But it can only get you so far in the debate.

I know you engage in that sort of behavior when you're uncomfortable with what you're reading. You're trying to paint me as one of those crackpots who doesn't know what he's talking about. All the arguments you cite, I've heard them ad nauseum, and there is a flip side to all of them, when they're not exaggerations.

The police the US routinely kills black for no reason? Really? That's the adverb you find appropriate? Why do some people not trust black people? Is it irrational? Why do some restaurants refuse to send their employees in neighborhoods they perceive as dangerous?

Ok, let's ask questions then: what do you think are the various causes of those phenomenons, and how do you think they could be solved?

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:48 pm

Admin wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:45 pm
It's quite insulting to say that I have no right to express myself over that above subject just because I've never lived in the US. I'd say that I probably know more about politics and societal problems in the US than on my own continent.
We all have the right to express yourself on any subject, including the subjects on which we know little to nothing. However, in those cases, it is better to read and to ask questions.

My knowledge, research, and interactions are sufficient to reach a firm conclusion on this subject: American Blacks face tremendous discrimination, which is a major hindrance to their well-being, and a causal factor to their outcomes. I know that well. The uncertainty is in the details, but to deny the big picture is on par with denying evolution, thermodynamics, global warming, geology, vaccines, etc.
Admin wrote:
Is the knowledge about the state of American societies not publicly available? I can't read it? Try to understand it?
You could learn more if you wanted to. However, it is the case that you'll never get far on this subject unless you listen to Black voices themselves, rather than white people analyzing other white people's writings on Blacks.
Admin wrote:
Your main argument here is that you know better because you've lived in a black neighborhood, and fair enough,
Nope, that was just one supporting anecdote.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:48 pm
We all have the right to express yourself on any subject, including the subjects on which we know little to nothing. However, in those cases, it is better to read and to ask questions.

My knowledge, research, and interactions are sufficient to reach a firm conclusion on this subject: American Blacks face tremendous discrimination, which is a major hindrance to their well-being, and a causal factor to their outcomes. I know that well. The uncertainty is in the details, but to deny the big picture is on par with denying evolution, thermodynamics, global warming, geology, vaccines, etc.

You could learn more if you wanted to. However, it is the case that you'll never get far on this subject unless you listen to Black voices themselves, rather than white people analyzing other white people's writings on Blacks.

Nope, that was just one supporting anecdote.
You just cannot help yourself, can you? Stating that I know little to nothing on the subject. And that patronizing tone, sorry Afro, it doesn't work on me.

Everyone faces discrimination of some sort, and it's unpleasant, not only is that part of life but there is nothing you can do about it.

I don't think that in the West, there are a lot of people who judge someone based on their skin color. Which leads me to your statement that I should listen to Black people themselves about this. I don't judge people's opinion based on their skin color, sorry.

I'd advise you if I may to look into the work of Thomas Sowell to get another point of view (which is way more balanced and valid in my opinion) on this subject.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:13 pm

Admin wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:05 pm
Which leads me to your statement that I should listen to Black people themselves about this. I don't judge people's opinion based on their skin color, sorry.
They're the ones who experience discrimination, as such they'd be more likely to give you a reliable answer.

If you want to know more about vanilla ice cream, are you going to ask the people who have tasted ice cream, or the people who have never tasted ice cream? Obviously the former, on average they're more likely to give you a reliable opinion.

Some recommendations:
The 13th, a documentary
The New Jim Crow, a book by Michelle Alexander
Black Like Me, by John Howard Griffin
Admin wrote:
Everyone faces discrmination of some sort, and it's unpleasant, not only is that part of life but there is nothing you can do about it.
Corrected:
People face varying levels of discrimination, which contributes to different life outcomes. It is a part of life and people should strive to do better and be better.
Admin wrote:
I don't think that in the West, there are a lot of people who judge someone based on their skin color.
You are allowed to think any incorrect belief that you wish.

I wasted years debating the theories of evolution and global warming (on other forums) -- no more. At some point, it's a waste of time. There are in fact some truths in the world, and my interest is to understand them better, not to debate their existence.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:27 pm

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:13 pm
They're the ones who experience discrimination, as such they'd be more likely to give you a reliable answer.

If you want to know more about vanilla ice cream, are you going to ask the people who have tasted ice cream, or the people who have never tasted ice cream? Obviously the former, on average they're more likely to give you a reliable opinion.

Some recommendations:
The 13th, a documentary
The New Jim Crow, a book by Michelle Alexander
Black Like Me, by John Howard Griffin

Corrected:
People face varying levels of discrimination, which contributes to different life outcomes. It is a part of life and people should strive to do better and be better.

You are allowed to think any incorrect belief that you wish.

I wasted years debating the theories of evolution and global warming (on other forums) -- no more. At some point, it's a waste of time. There are in fact some truths in the world, and my interest is to understand them better, not to debate their existence.
I could frame my life as a gigantic victim if I wanted to, I can come up with a narrative now and it would be true. My best friend who's a lawyer and an executive in one of the top companies in Belgium says he's a victim and he's facing unfair discrmination because he's Muslim.

Because sometimes he gets odd looks (or so he thinks) and one time, he got turned down for a position of CFO. Is his opinion reliable? Not at all, some people just want to remain victims because it offers ready-to-use excuses for one's failures.

I'll address the other points later. For now I'd just advise you to stop pretending like there is no debate around some subjects. There is racism and unfair discrmination in the West, however, it's an anomaly, not the norm.

Taking the anomaly to assess a rule and say "most people in the West are bad and racist" is called splitting, which is part of the defense mechanisms narcissists (yes, again!) use to protect their unearned sense of superiority.