Film and television discussion thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by Hairblues » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:32 pm

Uncle Grandfather wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:12 pm
There's some key differences here. In the case of the NFL players kneeling, it's pretty hilarious because these guys are all millionaires and are incredibly out of touch with the average Joe (much like celebrities). Also the NFL portrays itself as a "patriotic" organization that supports veterans, and most football fans are, let's face it, middle aged white men of whom >50% probably voted for Trump. But at the end of he day, it's sports for Christ's sake, keep the politics out of it. Let these guys who had everything handed to them in a silver platter in college voice their "woke" opinions online, but don't let it interfere with the game.

Alex Jones wasn't just banned from Twitter, but was mass-banned across all social media platforms in what looks like a joint effort from the Silicon Valley giants. It's also immensely hypocritical too because these platforms all claim to be arbiters of free speech but let crazy, unhinged voices on the left go unfettered.

By the way, can you elaborate on this "social injustice?"
First off I used to date a Jet and trust me, he was no multi millionaire. I also dated a pro hokey player same shit and a boxer. None of them multi millionaires.
Most actors also are not multi millionaires

But regardless
Someone’s celebrity status and financial background shouldn’t dictate if they have something to say politically.
You don’t stop having an opinion about politics and the world because your famous or wealthy.

Now I would imagine that they feel a responsibility to the communities they cane out of due to their blessed lives to say something. I don’t know, to me that’s kind of admirable. Like they didn’t forget where they came from.

Another point is pro athletes over the years have been picked up and pulled over. There was one a few months ago. So they didn’t stop being black because they have money.

As far as the NFL and the patriotism it’s ‘fake’ it’s marketing bullshit. So I don’t know why it’s relevant.

The principle is when liberals boycott republicans lose their minds (laura Ingram bill oreilley)
When alt right boycott its ‘patriotism’

What it is, is hypocrisy.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:35 pm

Uncle Grandfather wrote:
There's some key differences here. In the case of the NFL players kneeling, it's pretty hilarious because these guys are all millionaires and are incredibly out of touch with the average Joe (much like celebrities). Also the NFL portrays itself as a "patriotic" organization that supports veterans, and most football fans are, let's face it, middle aged white men of whom >50% probably voted for Trump. But at the end of he day, it's sports for Christ's sake, keep the politics out of it. Let these guys who had everything handed to them in a silver platter in college voice their "woke" opinions online, but don't let it interfere with the game.

Alex Jones wasn't just banned from Twitter, but was mass-banned across all social media platforms in what looks like a joint effort from the Silicon Valley giants. It's also immensely hypocritical too because these platforms all claim to be arbiters of free speech but let crazy, unhinged voices on the left go unfettered.

You can google their perspective on social injustice. I’m not debating it with you. I’m sure you have all the arguments in the world against it. I’m not really interested in that debate with you. Same as I’m not interested in debates on climate change with people who don’t believe in them. Nothing I say is going to convince you and it would be an annoying waste of my time and yours.

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:46 pm

Hairblues wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:32 pm
First off I used to date a Jet and trust me, he was no multi millionaire. I also dated a pro hokey player same shit and a boxer. None of them multi millionaires.

But regardless
Someone’s celebrity status and financial background shouldn’t dictate if they have something to say politically.
You don’t stop having an opinion about politics and the world because your famous or wealthy.

Now I would imagine that they feel a responsibility to the communities they cane out of due to their blessed lives to say something. I don’t know, to me that’s kind of admirable. Like they didn’t forget where they came from.

Another point is pro athletes over the years have been picked up and pulled over. There was one a few months ago. So they didn’t stop being black because they have money.

As far as the NFL and the patriotism it’s ‘fake’ it’s marketing bullshit. So I don’t know why it’s relevant.

The principle is when liberals boycott republicans lose their minds (laura Ingram bill oreilley)
When alt right boycott its ‘patriotism’

What it is, is hypocrisy.
I wish you would stop claiming any kind of mass patriotism as fake.
The NFL does not promote "fake" patriotism as far as I'm concerned and the patriotism I feel before a game when I hear the Star Spangled Banner is as real as any emotion I've ever felt.

There is nothing quite like hearing a packed football stadium singing the American national anthem and sometimes this will even brind a tear.
So I really feel sorry for you if you don't feel this too, Hairblues.

I also support an individual's right not to participate in these events and conduct his, or her, own private, respectful protest.
It's unfortunate that there are issues in our societies prompting this kind of action but I would be a hypocrite to deny anyone this right.

God bless America!
For the white kids in Chiraq

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:50 pm

blackg wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:46 pm
I wish you would stop claiming any kind of mass patriotism as fake.
The NFL does not promote "fake" patriotism as far as I'm concerned and the patriotism I feel before a game when I hear the Star Spangled Banner is as real as any emotion I've ever felt.

There is nothing quite like hearing a packed football stadium singing the American national anthem and sometimes this will even brind a tear.
So I really feel sorry for you if you don't feel this too, Hairblues.

I also support an individual's right not to participate in these events and conduct his, or her, own private, respectful protest.
It's unfortunate that there are issues in our societies prompting this kind of action but I would be a hypocrite to deny anyone this right.

God bless America!
Dude. You’re Australian. Like I said. Fake patriotism.

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:58 pm

Hairblues wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:50 pm
Dude. You’re Australian. Like I said. Fake patriotism.
I'm a dual citizen and you let me down sometimes as a fellow American.

By the way, who was that New York Jet that you dated? Mark Gastineau?

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:16 pm

blackg wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:58 pm
I'm a dual citizen and you let me down sometimes as a fellow American.

By the way, who was that New York Jet that you dated? Mark Gastineau?

Dude how are you a dual citizen?

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:19 am

Hairblues wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:16 pm
Dude how are you a dual citizen?
I was born in Australia but raised on American culture and ideals via television and the early Internet.

That Guy
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2.5

Post by That Guy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:29 am

blackg wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:19 am
raised on American culture and ideals via television and the early Internet.
Lol

rclark
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas every day.
This is the hairline and entire vertex area.

Post by rclark » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:12 am

Uncle Grandfather wrote:

There not really that out of touch. They probably know, or are related to, people who
have been killed by violence.

Donald Trump dodged the Vietnam war, and never fought in a war. So, really, who is
he to tell anybody to be patriotic?

That, and the fact he is good friends with Russia, makes me wonder. There's stuff coming
out of his lawyer, and other people. I think Trump is full of shit.

But, Trumptards are mentally "unbalanced", for the most part. They probably don't care.

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:39 am

That Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:29 am
Lol
My upbringing is not a laughing matter.

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:40 am

rclark wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:12 am
There not really that out of touch. They probably know, or are related to, people who
have been killed by violence.
This part I really agree with.

That Guy
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2.5

Post by That Guy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:27 am

blackg wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:39 am
My upbringing is not a laughing matter.
All I'm saying is that you don't seem to voice a lot of opinions that are terribly reflective of American ideals.

Film and TV, especially since the 2000s, tend to push a lot of anti-american ideals which you do seem to support.

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:38 am

That Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:27 am
All I'm saying is that you don't seem to voice a lot of opinions that are terribly reflective of American ideals.

Film and TV, especially since the 2000s, tend to push a lot of anti-american ideals which you do seem to support.
I was speaking culturally.
Politically speaking, my ideas are more Libertarian than Republican neoconservatives.
And there are many movies that I simply can't watch because of their blatant anti-American narrative.

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:05 am

Hairblues wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:32 pm
Can you date a normal guy now? Can a woman be happy after dating a pro hockey player and a ripped boxer with a normal guy or you need to date up more? Serious question.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:29 pm

blackg wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:19 am
I was born in Australia but raised on American culture and ideals via television and the early Internet.
So you’re a groupie.