Film and television discussion thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 weeks ago

JLBB wrote:
2 weeks ago
It sounds simple, but he was one of the few people that spoke in an inspired way about cinema and people he looked up to rather than name off people involved in the project or some social cause, which was every single other winner. The references sounded genuinely heartfelt and the directing category was stacked.

They were definitely clapping for his talent and the way he expressed himself without restraint. Even if they were embarrassed or shocked to some degree.
I was actually laughing at the fact that he had less to say about Phillips and Mendes.

So does everybody else who is not their wives, but it's still funny to see it in that context.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

I had a hair transplant operation with the clinic of Dr. Emrah Cinik in Istanbul, with 2750 grafts being mostly placed in the front. It was a success both for general aesthetics and general well-being, and I encourage others to do the same.

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 2 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
I was actually laughing at the fact that he had less to say about Phillips and Mendes.

So does everybody else who is not their wives, but it's still funny to see it in that context.
Totally, I was wondering while watching whether he’d mention them at all. Still, despite lack of filling the auteur label or having a substantive aesthetic Mendes has a very impressive filmography, and Phillips likely earned the nomination. I’m sure Phillips and Mendes would both understand regardless that they’re not in the same league.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 weeks ago

JLBB wrote:
2 weeks ago
Totally, I was wondering while watching whether he’d mention them at all. Still, despite lack of filling the auteur label or having a substantive aesthetic Mendes has a very impressive filmography, and Phillips likely earned the nomination. I’m sure Phillips and Mendes would both understand regardless that they’re not in the same league.
Do you consider Phillips to be a good director? What is it that made Joker a good film, other than Phoenix's performance and Goransson's musical score?

I wonder what Phillips will want to do next. Almost certainly he wants to make another non-canonical comic book movie, but the Joker movie that he made does not lend itself to an obvious sequel. I think that a Lex Luthor film, where Superman is portrayed as an out of control alien that undermines humanity, would be a good choice.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

I had a hair transplant operation with the clinic of Dr. Emrah Cinik in Istanbul, with 2750 grafts being mostly placed in the front. It was a success both for general aesthetics and general well-being, and I encourage others to do the same.

Guest-2
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Guest-2 » 2 weeks ago

I binged Locke and Key--and I really liked it.

Also watching The Outsider and I like that too.

films
IT 2 and The Joker..liked both.
The Joker is a better film and performance was fantastic, but I 'enjoyed' IT 2 more, found it fun.

Other than that I'm having a hard time finding time and focusing on TV/films.