Film and television discussion thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 1 week ago

Things I've seen lately

The Dragon Prince -- Netflix animated series from the creators of The Last Airbender. Two seasons are up and it's a really lovely world that they've created, though probably not as rich as the last Airbender.

The Boys - Hairblues and pjhair gave me the recommendation. I found it to be pretty intelligent, the world felt lived in and detailed, which was nice. The black humor was the right humor for me, the jokes were funny without trying too hard and without ever distracting from the story.

Unbelievable - A one season dramatization of a real-life serial rape case told on Netflix. The first episode is one of the hardest hours of television that I've watched, there's a traumatic rape scene and its aftermath. Following that, the series veers into a different territory, with two brilliant police detectives eventually solving the case. The series actually does show "intelligence" in a competent manner, the detectives don't solve the crime by having access to the script, nor do they go on phones monologues like they would in an Alan Sorkin script.

Joker - I agree with Michael Moore (https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/joker ... 202179054/ ), this is an excellent movie. I hope that more of you see it and that we can discuss it. The acting (and thus casting), sound mixing, cinematography are all excellent, and the screenplay is really tight and leaves *a lot* up to interpretation without relying on any hack-like twists.

The Son of The White Mare - This is a restored Hungarian animation classic from the 1980s, based on Hungarian folktales, that is playing at various places. I didn't really like it, but others might. The animation and music are quite trippy:

I'm happy and feel richer to have seen all five of the above, and I enjoyed the first four.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by pjhair » 1 week ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 week ago
Joker - I agree with Michael Moore (https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/joker ... 202179054/ ), this is an excellent movie. I hope that more of you see it and that we can discuss it. The acting (and thus casting), sound mixing, cinematography are all excellent, and the screenplay is really tight and leaves *a lot* up to interpretation without relying on any hack-like twists.
I watched Joker last night. Loved it. It's not a comic book movie at all.

Also, if you get a chance, try Carnival Row and Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime. I enjoyed both shows. Carnival Row is a fantasy series but it's dark and addresses various real world social issues such as racism, xenophobia, immigration, etc.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Head & Shoulders caffeine shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 6 days ago

https://babylonbee.com/news/media-horri ... screenings
The Babylon Bee wrote:Journalists have already been shaken by many attacks on the press. Much of this has come from President Trump, but a lot also from reality, which has specifically gone after many of their hyped predictions and disasters.

Now that opinion writers' fears have been disproven, the pundits whose predictions were completely wrong and who have demonstrated they have no grasp of how reality actually works are expecting the harshest punishment for such a journalistic failure: absolutely nothing.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 6 days ago

Ah, I haven’t heard anything like this except for one article on Facebook about a theater in Long Beach Ca. And I didn’t even finish it when I realized they didn’t mean the town in New York.

Just here. Soo I don’t get it.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 6 days ago

I just saw it. It was good.

I don't feel like dressing up as a clown.

Think that was just media hype. A lot of senior citizens watched it.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 5 days ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 week ago
Things I've seen lately

The Dragon Prince -- Netflix animated series from the creators of The Last Airbender. Two seasons are up and it's a really lovely world that they've created, though probably not as rich as the last Airbender.

The Boys - Hairblues and pjhair gave me the recommendation. I found it to be pretty intelligent, the world felt lived in and detailed, which was nice. The black humor was the right humor for me, the jokes were funny without trying too hard and without ever distracting from the story.

Unbelievable - A one season dramatization of a real-life serial rape case told on Netflix. The first episode is one of the hardest hours of television that I've watched, there's a traumatic rape scene and its aftermath. Following that, the series veers into a different territory, with two brilliant police detectives eventually solving the case. The series actually does show "intelligence" in a competent manner, the detectives don't solve the crime by having access to the script, nor do they go on phones monologues like they would in an Alan Sorkin script.

The Son of The White Mare - This is a restored Hungarian animation classic from the 1980s, based on Hungarian folktales, that is playing at various places. I didn't really like it, but others might. The animation and music are quite trippy:

I'm happy and feel richer to have seen all five of the above, and I enjoyed the first four.

Things I've seen lately

Shrek

Shrek 2

Shrek the Third

Shrek forever after

I'm happy and feel richer to have seen all four of the above, and I enjoyed the first three.

:thumbup:
At Peace with the Piece 8-)

Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 5 days ago

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: None at this time.

Post by nameless » 5 days ago

Hey, Joker's a really good movie. It made me think about how the shooters at the Columbine Massacre were bullied before they went all homicidal.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 5 days ago

nameless wrote:
5 days ago
Hey, Joker's a really good movie. It made me think about how the shooters at the Columbine Massacre were bullied before they went all homicidal.
I think that it's not actually clear that those guys were even bullied that much.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 5 days ago

LMAO. oh god. movie about a guy who goes bald. lmao part of the commercial he's talking to a girl with concealer on and water gets on his scalp and starts melting the concealer :lol:

in hindi though, @pjhair do you understand hindi? can you translate?

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 4 days ago

Exodus wrote:
5 days ago

LMAO. oh god. movie about a guy who goes bald. lmao part of the commercial he's talking to a girl with concealer on and water gets on his scalp and starts melting the concealer :lol:

I don't think we need a translation, the plot is pretty clear anyway xD
I'm going to make a wild guess that 'bala' translates to 'bald' as well? :roll:
At Peace with the Piece 8-)

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 4 days ago

EvilLocks wrote:
4 days ago
yea i'm just curious what all theyre saying in the commercial :lol:

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 4 days ago

nameless wrote:
5 days ago
Does it make you want to dance and wave a gun in the air?

nameless
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: None at this time.

Post by nameless » 4 days ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
5 days ago
I think that it's not actually clear that those guys were even bullied that much.
I kind of looked into it and I'm also unsure if the shooters were actually bullied. But the original diagnosis way back when the incident happened was that the shooters were bullied and that is now being called into question by more recent authors. I can't tell what the truth is unless i do a major deep dive. I may do that someday, but not right now because I'm kind of busy.

Anyway, I do think it's possible that more recent revisionist historians are right that the shooters weren't bullied or the shooters were bullied and the newer authors who write about the issue are covering for the bullies bad behavior because they want to restore a respectable image to the alleged bullies.

Keep in mind that the original claims were that the bullies were the so-called "good kids" which means they were the students who were cool with faculty staff and followed the norms. it is possible that the more recent revisionist historians are coming to the defense of the bullies because the recent revisionist authors were also part of the so called good kids who were cool with faculty staff and followed the norms when they were kids. If that is the case then the more recent revisionist historians would identify with the bullies and be antagonistic towards people who were different, like the shooters.

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by pjhair » 4 days ago

Exodus wrote:
5 days ago

Yes, I understand Hindi. This movie looks hilarious. It also seems to have showcased the struggles of bald men perfectly. In the trailer, the protagonist, who goes bald, talks about how he was a really popular guy in his school when he had full head of hair. But when he lost his hair, he lost his looks, his confidence was crushed, he lost his identity. His girlfriend also left him. He tried various treatments including snake oils to grow his hair but nothing worked. He then resorted to wig and gets a girl. But he wants real hair so he looks into transplant. But doctors tells him that he has too little hair, including the chest and body hair, for a transplant. That's all I saw in the trailer. I will watch it when it comes out. The lead is a big Bollywood star and actually has crazy dense hair in real life.

Added in 4 minutes 6 seconds:
EvilLocks wrote:
4 days ago
Bala actually means strength in Hindi. But my guess is that they have chosen that title because either the main leads name is Bala or because the word is so close to Bald.
Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (209.41 KiB) Viewed 50 times