Film and television discussion thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by pjhair » 2 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
I gave not seen it yet, what's it about?

I just finished Cobra Kai, and loved it. It is hard to move on from that series as the season two finale was such a cliffhanger.
It's a very dark take on superheroes. Sort of messed up version of justice league. In the show, they claim to help humanity but are actually working for a profit driven organization. They murder people, commit sexual assault, do drugs and many other fucked up things. Sort of reminded me of Watchmen.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 2 weeks ago

pjhair wrote:
2 weeks ago
It's a very dark take on superheroes. Sort of messed up version of justice league. In the show, they claim to help humanity but are actually working for a profit driven organization. They murder people, commit sexual assault, do drugs and many other fucked up things. Sort of reminded me of Watchmen.
It is really good. A few episodes dragged but overall one of the best shows.

Added in 36 minutes 33 seconds:
I also really liked the Umbrella Academy.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Head & Shoulders caffeine shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 1 week ago

I know it's early, but dat IMDB rating :soyboy-jahns: :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7286456/

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » 1 week ago

Admin wrote:
1 week ago
I know it's early, but dat IMDB rating :soyboy-jahns: :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7286456/
I’ve been excited about this film for months.

For me, when I first started watching the trailer I was sucked in and didn’t even realize it was the actual ‘joker’ until towards the end of it. That alone has me super curious. I hope it has that gritty feel I got watching the trailer and doesn’t turn cartoonish (meaning light and unbelievable) . Sometimes trailers can be deceiving. Don’t get me wrong I can enjoy cartoonish films but this was just really more interesting to me and reminded me of darker films of the 70s and 80s.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 1 week ago

I used to track IMDB ratings, and I found that for "nerd" properties they often start off really high, and then take a year to settle down.

But I'll watch the Joker. It got the grand prize at the Venice Film Festival, that's no small feat for a film from an IP.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 1 week ago

Anyone watch Dark? I just binged the first season. I usually steer clear of shows where I’m forced to read subtitles but it looked way too interesting. Crazy show.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

kj6723 wrote:
1 week ago
Anyone watch Dark? I just binged the first season. I usually steer clear of shows where I’m forced to read subtitles but it looked way too interesting. Crazy show.
I will give it a go. Just finished Bates Motel. Was so good.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 1 week ago

Hairblues wrote:
1 week ago
I will give it a go. Just finished Bates Motel. Was so good.
I would like to know your opinion on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
As we are both past our prime, I think you will enjoy this film as much as I did.
Don't kneel because you feel

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 1 week ago

Let me guess...
The Joker's back story is that of a transgendered mutant who is the "son" of a proud lesbian couple, he also never new his refugee father as he was wrongly deported on terrorism charges?

Viva wokeness!
Don't kneel because you feel

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
Let me guess...
The Joker's back story is that of a transgendered mutant who is the "son" of a proud lesbian couple, he also never new his refugee father as he was wrongly deported on terrorism charges?

Viva wokeness!
If only. If that was the case, it would have been praised by far-left Vox. No, it's about the exact opposite, a straight white male incel who cannot cope with the tragedy and evil in his own life and ends up genocidal as a result.

Woke critics are saying that the movie is irresponsible because the movie does not agree with their politics. Joker should be about an incel who ends up transcending his misery by checking his privilege, becoming an ally and joining Antifa.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
I would like to know your opinion on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
As we are both past our prime, I think you will enjoy this film as much as I did.
Funny I joked to a guy I was passed my prime and he looked at me like I had 3 heads. But whatever.

I haven’t seen it. I don’t usually enjoy Quentin Tarantino films. Rarely a Leonardo DiCaprio film (I loved Revolutionary Road) and even rarer a brad pitt film so I will wait for it to be on cable.

I liked Mind Hunter. First season was awesome. Second season not awesome but still better than a lot of shows. It has a scene with Charles Manson.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Admin wrote:
1 week ago
If only. If that was the case, it would have been praised by far-left Vox. No, it's about the exact opposite, a straight white male incel who cannot cope with the tragedy and evil in his own life and ends up genocidal as a result.

Woke critics are saying that the movie is irresponsible because the movie does not agree with their politics. Joker should be about an incel who ends up transcending his misery by checking his privilege, becoming an ally and joining Antifa.
I'm really annoyed with the arguments that I'm seeing against The Joker. They're quite bad and ironically, very problematic.

First, I think that every kind of fictional narrative should be allowed, there might be some extreme exceptions that I'm not thinking of, but this is not one of them. The story of the Joker seems to be that he's a loser who loses it and goes crazy and violent. Yeah, that's rough, but that is a part of the human condition, so it should be fertile ground for exploration. Given that we have a million movies about winners, we should have a few movies about losers, lol.

Another issue is that the SJW-wing of Film Twitter is, for all of its lamentations of being progressive, extremely supportive of Marvel and Disney in general (with a few exceptions), which is ironic. The first is that Disney is nearing monopoly status, its power will mean lost jobs in the industry, and they're likely to shut down a lot of relatively experimental film production, to focus more on brands. The whole thing is not just anti-leftist, it's a childish caricature of conservatism brought to life.

I also don't consider the Marvel movies to be particularly progressive. All of them implicitly advocate for the point of view that violence is an effective solution to problems, and that evil is an extrinsic perturbation to the world that can be defeated, rather than an intrinsic part of all of us that needs to be managed, and that we all have the potential for.

Johnson
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by Johnson » 1 week ago

The new Netflix film Escape Room is a nice, little popcorn horror film. Its an original concept in a genre that has a habit of repeating itself again and again.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

yettee wrote:
1 week ago
What documentary? I saw a good one a few days ago on Netflix... Homme Less. :thumbup:
I saw the documentary Streetwise, it's a 1984 documentary on homeless youth in Seattle. It was played at a local theater that plays non-Blockbusters due to a recent article, that followed up on the kids 35 years after the fact.
I think that it's this article:
https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... dreams-on/
Might also be this:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/revie ... se-1225511
Some history here:
https://time.com/3896742/mary-ellen-mark-streetwise/
I felt a lot of sympathy for some of the youths, and it was also interesting to see how different things were due to it being 1984. A lot of things have changed, for example nobody uses public phones anymore. Unfortunately, I had a hard time following the documentary because I have a lot of things on my mind lately.

Added in 10 hours 5 minutes 25 seconds:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/s ... st-century

I have not seen a lot of those movies.

Some of them I have seen, and for a minority of those, I don't see them as being in the top 100.

If I made the list, I'd add in:

Room
Far From Men
Nightingale
Amour
City of Life and Death
The Wind Rises
Europa Report
Nightcrawler

Inception
Rush
Snowpiercer
Token Marvel movie, either Ragnarok or Infinity War
Frozen

Probably many more, but I'm tired right now.

I didn't actually love Frozen personally, bit I'm including it due to its transformative effect on the film industry, and how it moved audiences.

Edited to add: Mad Max Fury Road.