Film and television discussion thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
C4L
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3.5
Regimen: none

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by C4L » 4 months ago

Chernobyl
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7366338/
is absolutely breathtaking
Russians must save Europe from the racist liberal elite.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 3 months ago

Fosse/Verdon

baldness comes up in this series a few times and the very honest effects it had on Bob Fosses early career aspirations of wanting to be the next Fred Astaire and how his early hair loss may have squashed this dream.

Instead he became a choreographer and made other people the stars including his wife Gwen. He became a legend but much later in life so that must have been emotionally painful or bittersweet.

He went on to be a fantastic film director (in my opinion) although unfortunately he didn’t make as many films as he could have due to an early death at 60 that seemed lifestyle induced (uppers downers drinking and chain smoking, fucked anything that moved).

He was also depressed and a workaholic and obsessive about having sex—how much did these things stem from his hair loss? I think significantly
He couldn’t seem to sustain happiness or self satisfaction for long. He came off in some ways (it’s kind of subtle more showing than telling by actors demeanor and actions) very insecure and needful.

He had a very unusual emotional and professionally collaborative relationship with his wife Gwen Verdon. Who remained close (maybe too close) after they split up.

The two of them seemed to know how to manipulate one another (this had both good and bad effects on their lives) but I think he’s the more vulnerable one many times due to his depression. She seemed to need him professionally and he seemed to need her mentally/emotionally like she was a solid rock to hang onto. I mean he fucked other women constantly so I don’t know how romantic his love for her was but he seemed to be so insecure about himself in so many ways and she didn’t seem to have an insecure bone in her body. She was manipulative for sure but she also pushed him to do some things that helped to cement him as a legend. Maybe love/hate.

But I think the baldness comes up a few times and I have to rewatch it one day but it felt ‘real’.
His wife even uses it to gut punch him at one point and they dont shy away from making her look cuntish in that moment (and a few other moments). They also don’t shy away from making him look like a prick at times either.

Their daughter executive produced it.

Anyway I don’t expect you guys to watch it, as a whole if not a Fosse Fan it may be dulll, but I thought you’ld like to know that they depict this vulnerability of baldness in a subtle and effective way. Maybe it wouldn’t be impactful on someone unaware of the emotional effects of balding but my take away?

I can’t help but wonder how much early hair loss contributed to a destructive lifestyle that led to his early death at age 60.
Attachments
4E98DD42-08EB-44C0-A295-422D2AEADC7C.jpeg
4E98DD42-08EB-44C0-A295-422D2AEADC7C.jpeg (61.79 KiB) Viewed 1276 times

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 3 months ago

Hairblues wrote:
3 months ago
Fosse/Verdon

baldness comes up in this series a few times and the very honest effects it had on Bob Fosses early career aspirations of wanting to be the next Fred Astaire and how his early hair loss may have squashed this dream.

Instead he became a choreographer and made other people the stars including his wife Gwen. He became a legend but much later in life so that must have been emotionally painful or bittersweet.

He went on to be a fantastic film director (in my opinion) although unfortunately he didn’t make as many films as he could have due to an early death at 60 that seemed lifestyle induced (uppers downers drinking and chain smoking, fucked anything that moved).

He was also depressed and a workaholic and obsessive about having sex—how much did these things stem from his hair loss? I think significantly
He couldn’t seem to sustain happiness or self satisfaction for long. He came off in some ways (it’s kind of subtle more showing than telling by actors demeanor and actions) very insecure and needful.

He had a very unusual emotional and professionally collaborative relationship with his wife Gwen Verdon. Who remained close (maybe too close) after they split up.

The two of them seemed to know how to manipulate one another (this had both good and bad effects on their lives) but I think he’s the more vulnerable one many times due to his depression. She seemed to need him professionally and he seemed to need her mentally/emotionally like she was a solid rock to hang onto. I mean he fucked other women constantly so I don’t know how romantic his love for her was but he seemed to be so insecure about himself in so many ways and she didn’t seem to have an insecure bone in her body. She was manipulative for sure but she also pushed him to do some things that helped to cement him as a legend. Maybe love/hate.

But I think the baldness comes up a few times and I have to rewatch it one day but it felt ‘real’.
His wife even uses it to gut punch him at one point and they dont shy away from making her look cuntish in that moment (and a few other moments). They also don’t shy away from making him look like a prick at times either.

Their daughter executive produced it.

Anyway I don’t expect you guys to watch it, as a whole if not a Fosse Fan it may be dulll, but I thought you’ld like to know that they depict this vulnerability of baldness in a subtle and effective way. Maybe it wouldn’t be impactful on someone unaware of the emotional effects of balding but my take away?

I can’t help but wonder how much early hair loss contributed to a destructive lifestyle that led to his early death at age 60.
I'm thinking about watching this series as its just about to start down here on cable. I don't have a streaming service for movies as it wouldn't be worth it.

Sam Rockwell is one actor I like watching. He was great in Moon and also Lawn Dogs.
Don't kneel because you feel

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » 3 months ago

blackg wrote:
3 months ago
I'm thinking about watching this series as its just about to start down here on cable. I don't have a streaming service for movies as it wouldn't be worth it.

Sam Rockwell is one actor I like watching. He was great in Moon and also Lawn Dogs.
Both actors give phenomenal performances. I think they are both going to be nominated and I’m going to guess they will both win.
Michelle Williams for sure because Gwen Verdon had a very unique way of speaking and moving and Michelle Williams was so spot on it was kind of eeerie at times. And Sam Rockwell definitely has that Fosse style in the way he moves and dances.

It’s a hard one to say if I recommend to people because I do think if you’re not a fan of him (Fosse) as a film director or a choreographer, it may be dull.

I LOVED some of his films as a kid because at that time, the style was really unique. It had a very intimate kind of feeling and his work was based on mostly real people. (Besides his musicals) Lenny was Lenny Bruce, All That jazz was based on Fosse himself and Star 80 was based on Dorothy Straten (playboy model/actress murdered by her husband) he was working on another film he was going to do with DeNiro when he died that was based on someone real also. Can’t recall who.

His work didn’t shy away from showing some raw ugliness. He wanted to show truth in his work and I think it shows in it often. Even his musical comedies he seemed fascinated with a kind of ugliness of human nature. Chicago tackles the American obsession with celebrity and fame and how we are suckers for a great comeback story because we like to be entertained, even when they are murderers.

Last night was the finale. He was casting for the lead of his film All that Jazz which was based on him and his life experience when he worked on both directing the film Lenny and choreographing and directing the musical Chicago and he had a heart attack during this process in real life and almost died.

Another hair reference came up.
he was casting the actor to play ‘him’
So his daughter asks him, who are you going to cast?
His answer was ‘Someone who looks like me and has a lot of hair.

A man who lived for his work to be so rawly honest in every way broke with this personal artistic standard to cast a full head in the role of himself. (Roy Schneider)
I think that tells how painful being bald was for him OR that was a studio thing and they gloss over it. But either way, again it’s representative of what the emotional reality is for bald men. Or at least this particular man. Who had the level of success I don’t think anyone else has had. He won oscars for best director and film the same year he won best director at tony and I think best director for an Emmy for a tv special. Still, baldness pained him until the end of his life it seems.

CaptainForehead
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: Avoid mirrors and other reflective surfaces

Post by CaptainForehead » 2 months ago

**** you Hollywood

Watching Shazam.

Father and brother are both NW2.

Evil sibling is NW7 bald.

:pepe-rage:

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 months ago

I'm working my way through the 26-part, 1970s-era, BBC documentary on world war 2, called "The World at War". I picked it up as it's often rated as among the best English-language documentaries on the subject.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_at_War

It's not bad and I am learning some things. They were able to do things in the 1970 that cannot be done today, for example they interview sone of the relevant people such as Albert Speer, who was Hitler's minister of armaments. They interview a lot of senior soldiers. That makes for a very different learning experience then just watching footage of those people with a historian's voice overplayed on them.

So far it's very informative though it does have a British bias. An unbiased documentary series would focus half if its episodes on the Russo-German component of the war, because that was half or more of the war. Japan also gets comparatively little attention.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Head & Shoulders caffeine shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 2 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 months ago
I'm working my way through the 26-part, 1970s-era, BBC documentary on world war 2, called "The World at War". I picked it up as it's often rated as among the best English-language documentaries on the subject.
My fiancée and I gave it to my grandfather for his 90th birthday.

He's been through World War II as a teenager and it deeply touched him, it's his favorite subject and yet he had never seen The World at War.

He's already watched it like 5 times (it's 35 hour long) in a year.

It's not at the top of my watchlist but I definitely plan to watch him someday.

I watched bits of it with him when I visited my grandparents and it made me think that it should be quite the antidote for people who still dare to believe that some of it didn't really happen. But of course it wouldn't move them one bit.

I wish similar footage could be found for what happened on "the other side", the Holodomor and other communist atrocities. Sadly, it makes the threat that the far left represents less real in our the Western collective unconscious, and I see evidence every day that we've only learned half the lesson that the 20th century was supposed to teach us.

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Post by Arjen » 2 months ago

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8398600/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Binged this one, after it had been recommend to me by "cow girl" - she does know my taste. :problem:

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Stranger Things Season 3 was a lot of fun, but it felt like it had less content than previous seasons. It might have just been shorter, I'm not sure.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » 2 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 months ago
Stranger Things Season 3 was a lot of fun, but it felt like it had less content than previous seasons. It might have just been shorter, I'm not sure.
I dug it but yeah, it did feel short.
Spoiler
Show
I didn’t like that they made the ice cream girl gay. They are hinting at Will being gay which I find more interesting, the girl being gay felt forced and it can dilute the significance of wills story if they are indeed making it that he’s gay
Did you watch the last Jessica Jones season?
I didn’t care for 2nd season, this one was better.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Hairblues wrote:
2 months ago
I dug it but yeah, it did feel short.
Spoiler
Show
I didn’t like that they made the ice cream girl gay. They are hinting at Will being gay which I find more interesting, the girl being gay felt forced and it can dilute the significance of wills story if they are indeed making it that he’s gay
Did you watch the last Jessica Jones season?
I didn’t care for 2nd season, this one was better.
I have not watched any of JJ, would you recommend it? I want to start something new. Feel free to recommend anything on Netflix or Prime, and if i have not watched it, I'll be likely to watch it.

I'm neutral to the girl being gay, though she doesn't look gay. Do you remember when the concept of gaydar went popular in the 1990s? I had, at the time, no idea how anybody could tell. But in hindsight it's obvious. Lesbians tend to look somewhat masculine, and likewise for gay men. That actress doesn't look gay. And damn I want to lick her legs lol.

It might take away from Will's journey, but that's partly because he did nothing.

I think that they went a little more feminist this season, possibly due to criticism over the previous seasons. At various points, girls were the ones making the better decisions. I don't mind that much but I do wish that they were a bit more subtle about it. I did like the little black girl though.

Do you believe that Hopper is dead?

CaptainForehead
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: Avoid mirrors and other reflective surfaces

Post by CaptainForehead » 2 months ago

Last edited by CaptainForehead 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » 2 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 months ago
I have not watched any of JJ, would you recommend it? I want to start something new. Feel free to recommend anything on Netflix or Prime, and if i have not watched it, I'll be likely to watch it.

I'm neutral to the girl being gay, though she doesn't look gay. Do you remember when the concept of gaydar went popular in the 1990s? I had, at the time, no idea how anybody could tell. But in hindsight it's obvious. Lesbians tend to look somewhat masculine, and likewise for gay men. That actress doesn't look gay. And damn I want to lick her legs lol.

It might take away from Will's journey, but that's partly because he did nothing.

I think that they went a little more feminist this season, possibly due to criticism over the previous seasons. At various points, girls were the ones making the better decisions. I don't mind that much but I do wish that they were a bit more subtle about it. I did like the little black girl though.

Do you believe that Hopper is dead?
I think he’s Alive for sure.

I love Jessica Jones season 1. It’s worth watching

So is Russian Doll BUT I went in blind so it was partially just being surprised by the storyline. I don’t know if it lives up to the hype but I liked it.

Marvelous Mrs Mazel is really good.

Dead to me was good.

Billions is good

Umbrella Academy is really good.

I’m digging Yellowstone.

Sneaky Pete is good.

Can’t think of anything else off top of head.

Guest-1
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: none

Post by Guest-1 » 1 month ago

C4L wrote:
4 months ago
Chernobyl
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7366338/
is absolutely breathtaking
It is great show. I whished they would speak russian all along though.

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by pjhair » 1 month ago

pas wrote:
1 month ago
It is great show. I whished they would speak russian all along though.
Welcome Pas!! You have been missed :D :D