Film and television discussion thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
JeanLucBB
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by JeanLucBB » 1 week ago

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
Okay, some of my all time favorite films:

#1, Jaws 3... in 3D!!! (1983)

It's the one where Jaws, or the son of, follows the Brody family to the Caribbean on their family vacation. Jaws soon starts causing havoc amongst the local population and even bites the leg off of Ellen Brody as she swims the warm blue waters.
Great scene!
He kills a few people as well.

#2, Attack of the Drones (2002)

Classic story telling drama and suitable for all ages but especially popular with males of all ages as it starred Natalie Portman dressed in a sexy tight white action suit.
But the best part? Millions of pre-programmed drones attacking everything in their path. Brilliant!
The story did get a bit complicated towards the end but it didn't matter.
Not with Natalie Portman and then all those drones causing complete chaos!

#3, Hebie Fully Loaded (2005)

This one was a real heart warmer, and if I had kids at the time of this film's release then I would have definitely taken them to see this flick.
I mean, who doesn’t love a story about a cute looking sentient German made car?

Very touching the relationship this car formed with the main protagonist.
Speaking of whom.. this film starred Lindsay Lohan (again good for a heterosexual male audience) and was shot in Southern California, so the cinematography was a standout.

You can't top these films in my eyes and no amount of pretentious dinner party conversations can convince me otherwise.
Fuck sake I meant your real one, I bet your real answers aren’t even that bad.

These are some of the more interesting reviews I’ve seen for some seriously bottom of the barrel films however, certainly better than the films themselves.

yettee
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 1 week ago

JeanLucBB wrote:
1 week ago
Good analysis, also Short Cuts makes me outright jizz. Although mentioning this sort of thing again The Player is not considered an all time great film, at least in comparison to Nashville (in my opinion legitimately a top 20 and critically almost rated as highly) nor Short Cuts or McCabe for Altman’s works. Probably because it lacks the emotional, humanist and transcendent core of something like Nashville and is more focused on ideas and itself as a work of art, although it it certainly has exhibits a moral centre even if it is one that talks down against commoditisation of art and audiences to some degree, but not the audience of this particular film itself.
I love Short Cuts. As you probably know it's based on the short stories of Raymond Carver, and I have to say that the stories are just amazing (and in my view even "better" than the film), so if you love the film and haven't read them please do. I'm talking about these 3 books:

Will you please be quiet, please?
What we talk about when we talk about love
Cathedral

I saw some of Nashville and it looked great, never finished it, should revisit it.

Hey Admin, you said you love Groundhog Day... it's a postmodern film, isn't it? It's widely considered to be one in critical articles, anyway.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 1 week ago

yettee wrote:
1 week ago
I love Short Cuts. As you probably know it's based on the short stories of Raymond Carver, and I have to say that the stories are just amazing (and in my view even "better" than the film), so if you love the film and haven't read them please do. I'm talking about these 3 books:

Will you please be quiet, please?
What we talk about when we talk about love
Cathedral

I saw some of Nashville and it looked great, never finished it, should revisit it.

Hey Admin, you said you love Groundhog Day... it's a postmodern film, isn't it? It's widely considered to be one in critical articles, anyway.
Groundhog Day, a postmodern film? You could see it that way, sure the postmodern artist often tries to play God, but here, it's to inspire the viewer to strive upwards. He doesn't create rules and try to deconstruct reality for the pleasure of destroying it or showing how pointless it is.

For that reason, it is a Christian movie to me ;) :

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/112381/
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp - Last hair transplant: ~1000 grafts on crown area (February 2019)

yettee
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 1 week ago

Admin wrote:
1 week ago
Groundhog Day, a postmodern film? You could see it that way, sure the postmodern artist often tries to play God, but here, it's to inspire the viewer to strive upwards. He doesn't create rules and try to deconstruct reality for the pleasure of destroying it or showing how pointless it is.

For that reason, it is a Christian movie to me ;) :

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/112381/
I hear you.
I think you might not be interested, as you hate it so much ;) . But I'd encourage you to watch "The Player" again, but this time as I feel Altman meant it - the police are the moral center of the movie and the only good, "real" people, every single other actor in the film, including the narrator at the end, is the embodiment of shallowness and evil. So from the point of view of the police I think it is also a Christian movie in the way that you mean it, as we are meant to sympathize and identify with the police, even though at the end evil triumphs. So it's definitely cynical/pessimistic about humankind, not at all uplifting like Groundhog Day (which I also love). But I think it's also "true"... people do sometimes get away with murder, at least in the short term.

Whoopi Goldberg mocks and despises the murderer