What would you rate youself?

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

What would you rate youself?

Post by Arjen » 5 months ago

In terms of intelligence: 7.5

In terms of craftsmanship: 2

In terms of social skills: 7

In terms of ambitiousness: 5

In terms of financial stability: 7

Feel free to extend the list.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Re: What would you rate youself?

Post by Rudiger » 5 months ago

Looks status and social life: Mediterranean 1k Likes and Party/10
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 5 months ago

In terms of intellectual aptitude: 8

In terms of intellectual curiosity: 9

In terms of craftsmanship: 5

In terms of social skills: 6

In terms of ambitiousness: 7

In terms of financial stability: 6

In terms of looks: 4

In terms of health: 4

Bklyn_23
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: Nizoral

Post by Bklyn_23 » 5 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
5 months ago
In terms of intellectual aptitude: 8

In terms of ambitiousness: 7

In terms of looks: 4
Selling yourself short on these few at least, from what I've been able to gather about you from your posts. I'd say 8.5-9.0 for the first, at LEAST an 8 for the second (you have or are currently pursuing your doctorate, correct? That takes rare ambition and dedication). And for the last you're at least in the 5.5-6.5 range from the pics I've seen. Regarding intellectual aptitude, I'd wager that the reason you're inclined to rate yourself an 8 - aside from modesty - is that I've noticed that the more intelligent someone is, the more likely they are to compare themselves to the true outliers intellectually and not to the real "average person." There's almost no way that if you lined up 100 random people, 20 would be more intelligent than you.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 5 months ago

Bklyn_23 wrote:
5 months ago
Selling yourself short on these few at least, from what I've been able to gather about you from your posts. I'd say 8.5-9.0 for the first, at LEAST an 8 for the second (you have or are currently pursuing your doctorate, correct? That takes rare ambition and dedication). And for the last you're at least in the 5.5-6.5 range from the pics I've seen. Regarding intellectual aptitude, I'd wager that the reason you're inclined to rate yourself an 8 - aside from modesty - is that I've noticed that the more intelligent someone is, the more likely they are to compare themselves to the true outliers intellectually and not to the real "average person." There's almost no way that if you lined up 100 random people, 20 would be more intelligent than you.
You're right on the intelligence thing. I've met plenty of genuinely brilliant people.

I've met a man with an IQ of 200+ who actually thinks about science full-time, and actually works -- whereas most people with that intelligence are lazy as fuck. When I read emails from him, it's like ... unbelievably lucid.

My best friend growing up got a 1580/1600 SAT score, he was studying everybody from Godel to Pinker in high school. He dropped out of his masters in physics program to go into business. A few years later he co-founded a private equity investment firm in solar electricity. He's now moving into financial technology. He also knows how to play the guitar, how to play bridge, and how to bake.

One guy that I knew in undergrad was already fluent in 12 languages. They let him teach a course on ancient Sumerian. He was a Math major with a 4.0 GPA. He was doing research in cryptography and linguistics. He was an excellent programmer. He was also an outstanding tennis player and ran marathons. Though he had some gaps, one time we were discussing geography and he asked "which one is the Pacific, and which one is the Atlantic?"

I know multiple people who work or have worked at each of Harvard, Google, Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase, etc. The guy that I knew at Google/Facebook ... he had a Flash programming firm in undergrad, he was an excellent pool player, he regularly got top grades in math, physics, and physiology, he got a PhD in neuroscience, etc. He read "The Emperor's New Mind" as a 19 or 20 year year-old in a summer and went through many of the references.

My graduate adviser was a child prodigy. He's done work in dark matter, extrasolar planets, the anthropic principle, roman history, etc. However, after undergrad he was tired of being an intellectual and so he spent time in the private sector. He lied to a corporation on Wall Street on a job application, he told them that he knew how to program in Fortran. So he taught himself how to program in Fortran in the weekend before starting the job.

So yes, I've known some genuinely brilliant people. I'm smart, but I'm not brilliant. Not like them. If the first guy is a 10, and others are a 9, then I'm an 8 at best. On the bright side, I think I rank a little better for curiosity, non-dogmatism, inquisitiveness, and originality. My publications are technically adequate but never technically extraordinary or impressive. People appreciate my research because I think outside the box and stimulate discussion. Probably a lot like my posts here lol.

Johnson
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by Johnson » 5 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
5 months ago
You're right on the intelligence thing. I've met plenty of genuinely brilliant people.

I've met a man with an IQ of 200+ who actually thinks about science full-time, and actually works -- whereas most people with that intelligence are lazy as fuck. When I read emails from him, it's like ... unbelievably lucid.

My best friend growing up got a 1580/1600 SAT score, he was studying everybody from Godel to Pinker in high school. He dropped out of his masters in physics program to go into business. A few years later he co-founded a private equity investment firm in solar electricity. He's now moving into financial technology. He also knows how to play the guitar, how to play bridge, and how to bake.

One guy that I knew in undergrad was already fluent in 12 languages. They let him teach a course on ancient Sumerian. He was a Math major with a 4.0 GPA. He was doing research in cryptography and linguistics. He was an excellent programmer. He was also an outstanding tennis player and ran marathons. Though he had some gaps, one time we were discussing geography and he asked "which one is the Pacific, and which one is the Atlantic?"

I know multiple people who work or have worked at each of Harvard, Google, Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase, etc. The guy that I knew at Google/Facebook ... he had a Flash programming firm in undergrad, he was an excellent pool player, he regularly got top grades in math, physics, and physiology, he got a PhD in neuroscience, etc. He read "The Emperor's New Mind" as a 19 or 20 year year-old in a summer and went through many of the references.

My graduate adviser was a child prodigy. He's done work in dark matter, extrasolar planets, the anthropic principle, roman history, etc. However, after undergrad he was tired of being an intellectual and so he spent time in the private sector. He lied to a corporation on Wall Street on a job application, he told them that he knew how to program in Fortran. So he taught himself how to program in Fortran in the weekend before starting the job.

So yes, I've known some genuinely brilliant people. I'm smart, but I'm not brilliant. Not like them. If the first guy is a 10, and others are a 9, then I'm an 8 at best. On the bright side, I think I rank a little better for curiosity, non-dogmatism, inquisitiveness, and originality. My publications are technically adequate but never technically extraordinary or impressive. People appreciate my research because I think outside the box and stimulate discussion. Probably a lot like my posts here lol.
Jesus, man. That's incredible.

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » 5 months ago

Arjen wrote:
5 months ago
In terms of intelligence: 7.5

In terms of craftsmanship: 2

In terms of social skills: 7

In terms of financial stability: 7

Feel free to extend the list.
And your looks? This site is all about looks from top to bottom and you don't mention it?
Intelligence I would give you an 8,5 at least. From what you write you are ahead of 95% of Swiss guys here.

Bklyn_23
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: Nizoral

Post by Bklyn_23 » 5 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
5 months ago

Again, though, you're comparing yourself to a select group of people, not to the general population. :) So yes, in that context, among folks like that, you may be an 8 (or maybe even a 7.5 going by some of those stories lol). Impressive group of associates you have there. For what it's worth, I got a 1540 on my SAT - and that was in 1994, before all the re-norming took place. :P

How I'd rate myself on the dimensions cited:

In terms of intellectual aptitude: 9+ (relative to the general population; probably an 8-8.5 on Afro Vacancy's scale)

In terms of intellectual curiosity: 9+ (I'm a true Gemini, which is my astrological sign)

In terms of social skills: 8+ (I'm never awkward, at a loss for words, or unsure of how to comport myself in any given situation)

In terms of ambitiousness: 6 (used to be around a 4 until a couple of years ago - I've matured in this regard)

In terms of financial stability: 6 (fairly high pay currently and high earning potential / employability but extremely poor financial habits)

In terms of looks: 7.5-8.0 currently, approaching a 9 in prime

In terms of health: 6-7 (all objective health markers look excellent, e.g. blood work; however, I have terrible aerobic conditioning and lack general flexibility)
Last edited by Bklyn_23 5 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Arjen » 5 months ago

JasonStatham wrote:
5 months ago
And your looks? This site is all about looks from top to bottom and you don't mention it?
Intelligence I would give you an 8,5 at least. From what you write you are ahead of 95% of Swiss guys here.
For me it was purposely not about (my) looks for once, but while I‘m flattered by your remark, a 7.5 is me being reasonably generous. Although yes, just like with looks, one only tends to compare oneself to the elite, forgetting about a significant part of the population, I also know that my qualities tend to make me look better/smarter than those of, say, a mathematician who may very well be more intelligent than me overall. Also, the overanalyzing I often fall victim to is not nevessarily a sign of intelligence, especially without meaningful conclusions and actions deriving from it. Still, I‘d sacrifice one point in intelligence for one more in looks, so they‘d be +- on par - now this can be done without being a 7+ at maths. :p

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » 4 months ago

My looks are around a 2 and my intellect is about a 1.5.
I'm happy nonetheless.
Ban the lipstick tax!

pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by pjhair » 4 months ago

Here is how i would rate myself.

In terms of intelligence: 5

In terms of social skills: 5

In terms of financial stability: 2

I am really bad at financial management. If it wasn't for my large income, I will go broke in a jiffy. Also, I have scored really high in standardized tests such as SAT and GRE (99th percentile), however these tests are learnable and not an accurate measure of raw intelligence. Hence I rate myself at 5. I am probably average or a little above average.

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » 4 months ago

pjhair wrote:
4 months ago

I am really bad at financial management. If it wasn't for my large income, I will go broke in a jiffy. Also, I have scored really high in standardized tests such as SAT and GRE (99th percentile), however these tests are learnable and not an accurate measure of raw intelligence. Hence I rate myself at 5. I am probably average or a little above average.
So you're mediocre. (joking, mate)
Ban the lipstick tax!

pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by pjhair » 4 months ago

blackg wrote:
4 months ago
So you're mediocre. (joking, mate)
That I am :D

Johnson
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by Johnson » 4 months ago

Income is hard to judge - myself and five of my closest friends all have above mean national incomes but only one of us owns our own home (we're all early 30s). This probably says a lot about the housing market (and also two of us live abroad so we're not going to buy unless we go home). This simply means we are now middle class in terms of wages and lifestyle but we're kind of paupers in terms of real assets. I'm not sure if this is a generational thing though and we're more likely to buy in our mid 30s.

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Arjen » 4 months ago

pjhair wrote:
4 months ago

I don‘t know how old you are, but people in long relationships split costs, save for a family, whereas I‘ve even now, during my thirties, been induldging in expensive stuff just because your lack of relationship-stability allows or even asks for it. Plus, the more you earn, the more you are tempted and likely to spend, so yeah, I have stability in terms of some back-up but more so by knowing I could curb or redirect my spendings quite easily.

I doubt many people could achieve your results even by studying a lot, so either you upgrade your rating or I‘ll have to lower mine - please adjust yours, thank you:p.