Scientific truth and religious truth

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Marki
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Re: Scientific truth and religious truth

Post by Marki » 1 year ago

pjhair wrote:
1 year ago
Islam is still going on. So yeah, just because a religion is going on for a long time, it doesn't mean it's claims are 100% valid.
I'm sure it's complicated to explain why Islam is still going, I don't pretend to be an expert at it, wish there was more time in the day to explore, but such is life.

But I would say majority of hooky religions don't stand the test of time, how many - beats me.

Marki
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by Marki » 1 year ago

pjhair wrote:
1 year ago
The only problem with your explanation is that Krishna repeated these kinds of miracles throughout his life. He even resurrected the dead. What you are doing is engaging in a behavior that I see all too often among religious people, which is, "my religion is right and everyone else is wrong". You are using logic to raise questions on Krishna's divinity but when it comes to Jesus, you abandon all logic and are ready to take a "leap of faith". The real issue here is that you are biased towards your religion hence you have no problem accepting it. But your attachment to your faith is not an evidence for objective superiority of it over others.

I have no problem with Christianity actually and I like Jesus as a person. However, I don't think it's any better than religions such as Judaism, Hinduism, Jainism, etc. Christianity is definitely better than Islam though and I will love it if all Muslims convert to Christianity(or any religion for that matter).
Don't know enough about Krishna to comment, except didn't the Beatles see him in the 60's. Maybe he even gave them song ideas.

But could the devil sustain him to deceive followers of Christ - who knows.

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by pjhair » 1 year ago

Marki wrote:
1 year ago

But could the devil sustain him to deceive followers of Christ - who knows.
That's a good strategy to reject other religions. When confronted with the fact that religious leaders of other religions have performed miracles too, just claim that "their miracles were performed by devil whereas Christ's miracles were actually by Christ". Miracles don't come with a stamp. I can turn around and claim that miracles of Christ were actually devil inspired. Muslims use similar reasoning to reject other faiths claiming that other religions have been spoiled by devil and only they have one true faith.

And that's exactly why I agree 100% with Sam Harris.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 1 year ago

I don’t really care about religion itself but a lot of people who devote themselves to religion and have the need to spread their religion, I find them to be very arrogant (not all), and have a superiority in their belief. I grew up catholic in catholic school and my experience was the most devout people didn’t have the need to shove it down other people’s throats or use it as an identity to feel ‘above’ the rest. Marky is a nice guy I’m sure, but some of his posts ring of a superiority about his faith vs people who don’t share it. It may be something he is not even aware of. (Again no reflection of him as a person, may just be the way he was taught to worship or how it comes across when he writes his posts)
Religion shouldn’t be used as an identity for self. You can hold values and have faith but I feel like some people lose themselves in it kind of like a drug. Maybe it’s a drug you can function lead a decent life but it’s like who are you really outside of your religion? Where do you draw the line of morality of what you instinctively know is wrong vs what a god or church tell you. If God all of a sudden told followers to do things that most of us would believe lacking morals, would these people of faith follow blindly? Uh yeah Bible is full of that I believe. God testing followers to do some questionable things in his name.

Just to be controversial here is the much missed voice of Christopher Hitchens on religion. It’s a short one.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 3 months ago

pjhair wrote:
1 year ago
Some studies in the past few years have shown that quantum mechanics is used by some birds in navigation. Plants also use it in photo synthesis. So quantum mechanical events can indeed take place in living systems, according to them. I am not an expert on Physics so I am not sure if the studies are drawing valid conclusions.

https://phys.org/news/2011-01-quantum-robins.html
For having a small brains, birds can accomplish quite a lot of tasks. Crows have been known to use tools, and
manipulate tools to do things. So they are able to figure out how things work. Considering that their brains are
around the size of their eye sockets, that's very amazing.

I realize this isn't the most scientific website and it's 2018, but this is definitely not the only study done on
crows.

https://gizmodo.com/neat-experiment-sug ... 1827182584