Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Re: Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Post by Admin » 4 months ago

CaptainForehead wrote:
4 months ago
I remember reading that all posts can be deleted on request, if that's the case why not allow unlimited user delete?

This time limited freezing makes me quite uncomfortable.
I just explained, because someone could get into a fight and be like "fuck it, I'm deleting all my content!" on a whim.

Even a forum as huge as HairlossTalk refused to delete my posts (I asked through a member here) because it would create a huge hole on the website and on Google. Almost all forums out there don't allow any editing or deleting of any sort.

I'm trying to give as much freedom and control as possible here. If you want specific posts to be deleted, you can always ask me and unless there's a very good reason not to (like it would make a 20 page thread disappear or unintelligible), I'll do it.

I'm going to add those rules to the forum guidelines so everything is clear.

CaptainForehead
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: Avoid mirrors and other reflective surfaces

Post by CaptainForehead » 4 months ago

Admin wrote:
4 months ago
Even a forum as huge as HairlossTalk refused to delete my posts (I asked through a member here) because it would create a huge hole on the website and on Google. Almost all forums out there don't allow any editing or deleting of any sort.
Man, that is wrong. Ban a user and refuse to delete his content.

Still do not like that my posts become property of impactofhairloss after one week.
Admin wrote:
4 months ago
If you want specific posts to be deleted, you can always ask me and unless there's a very good reason not to (like it would make a 20 page thread disappear or unintelligible), I'll do it.
Does this mean the policy has changed from earlier where you said you would delete user content on request?

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

CaptainForehead wrote:
4 months ago
Man, that is wrong. Ban a user and refuse to delete his content.

Still do not like that my posts become property of impactofhairloss after one week.

Does this mean the policy has changed from earlier where you said you would delete user content on request?
I've never banned anyone, but people have asked me to ban them and delete all their posts only to change their minds a few days later, that's why I don't think it's a good idea.

I just said, it wouldn't become the propriety of impactofhairloss in one week because you can always ask me to delete specific posts. Do I really have to repeat the reason why I don't give full control (again like almost every other forum out there) to the users here?

The policy hasn't changed, I will delete specific posts on request. Isn't it understandable that I won't delete a member's complete post history especially if they have like 500 posts? The whole forum could become a huge mess after taking such action.

Anyway, I'm adding those elements to the forum guidelines, my bad, the rules should have been clearer.

CaptainForehead
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Admin wrote:
4 months ago
I've never banned anyone, but people have asked me to ban them and delete all their posts only to change their minds a few days later, that's why I don't think it's a good idea.
I was referring to you getting banned on that other forum
Admin wrote:
4 months ago
Do I really have to repeat the reason why I don't give full control (again like almost every other forum out there) to the users here?
The other forum allows it...ref Dante.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

CaptainForehead wrote:
4 months ago
I was referring to you getting banned on that other forum
Oh OK :p. I have to say Roberto and the HairlossTalk Admin have always been helpful when it came to deleting the posts I wanted deleted (God knows I've posted some very personal anecdotes and hum, pictures on that board), but I understand their rationale here, especially now that I'm running my own forum.
CaptainForehead wrote:
4 months ago
The other forum allows it...ref Dante.
True, and Dante was as, if not more popular than me, so there must be some grudges mixed into this. This is not the only area where the HairlossTalk staff has been incoherent.

CaptainForehead
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Admin wrote:
4 months ago
Oh OK :p. I have to say Roberto and the HairlossTalk Admin have always been helpful when it came to deleting the posts I wanted deleted (God knows I've posted some very personal anecdotes and hum, pictures on that board), but I understand their rationale here, especially now that I'm running my own forum.

True, and Dante was as if not more popular than me, so there must be some grudges mixed into this. This is not the only area where the HairlossTalk staff has been incoherent.
To the best of my knowledge, Dante deleted the posts himself

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

CaptainForehead wrote:
4 months ago
To the best of my knowledge, Dante deleted the posts himself
I really don't think so, he had around 8000 posts and now he has 1900, so it's very unlikely unless he spent days and nights deleting his posts (well, it's Dante, you never know :p):

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/m ... 92.126359/

And all his threads except the last one he made disappeared, and you can't delete your own threads on HairlossTalk (you could a few years ago but they disabled that for obvious reasons).

So it's a request he sent to the mods or the Admin and they obliged.

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Post by Arjen » 4 months ago

Admin wrote:
4 months ago
I just extended the limit to edit one's post to one week. And members now also have a 15 minute window to delete a post
I welcome this. More than once did I create another post instead of editing mine and always had to rely on you deleting it.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 4 months ago

Admin wrote:
4 months ago
I really don't think so, he had around 8000 posts and now he has 1900, so it's very unlikely unless he spent days and nights deleting his posts (well, it's Dante, you never know :p)
No I'm pretty sure he actually did, sunchyme might be best for a Dante chronicle but I remember around the start of this year, over a weekend Dante went down from like over 6000 posts to nearer 4000 (or something to that effect). Mainly he would be seen dropping a few hundred posts here and there however, but I have definitely seen that 8000 number drop a lot at some point.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Is there an auto-type function on here that makes you look totally retarded? I'm on a Lenovo phone 99% of the time I post here, and it auto corrects words like 3-4 words on after I've typed it (so not only does it fuck up your sentences, you don't even notice as it's fucking things up, because you've read on from that part).

I rarely re-read my posts before posting, but sometimes when I read them again it's like "fuck, I definitely did not make that little sense".

I'm not sure if it's just this phone or the site on Android?

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

It's actually worse than I thought! In that last post I wrote "auto-type" but it changed it to "auto-reply", twice, I had to go back twice and correct even after I'd typed several words on.

I hit submit and there it was, auto-reply again! Fuck, it must have changed even after I corrected it twice. Ridiculous.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rudiger wrote:
4 months ago
Is there an auto-type function on here that makes you look totally retarded? I'm on a Lenovo phone 99% of the time I post here, and it auto corrects words like 3-4 words on after I've typed it (so not only does it fuck up your sentences, you don't even notice as it's fucking things up, because you've read on from that part).

I rarely re-read my posts before posting, but sometimes when I read them again it's like "fuck, I definitely did not make that little sense".

I'm not sure if it's just this phone or the site on Android?
No, there is no built-in autocorrect function, it must come from your smartphone as far as I can tell.

Some people keep this activated on their smartphone and it always drives me nuts. You can see if this tutorial is helpful to turn it off:

https://www.wikihow.tech/Turn-Off-Autoc ... on-Android

The only thing close to that is a list of word that are automatically replaced as it helps the newbies and the referencing of the forum on Google.

For example:

Word_replacement.jpg
Word_replacement.jpg (44.07 KiB) Viewed 383 times

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Admin wrote:
4 months ago
It's actually worse than I thought! In that last post I wrote "auto-type" but it changed it to "auto-reply", twice, I had to go back twice and correct even after I'd typed several words on.

I hit submit and there it was, auto-reply again! Fuck, it must have changed even after I corrected it twice. Ridiculous.

No, there is no built-in autocorrect function, it must come from your smartphone as far as I can tell.

Some people keep this activated on their smartphone and it always drives me nuts. You can see if this tutorial is helpful to turn it off:

https://www.wikihow.tech/Turn-Off-Autoc ... on-Android

The only thing close to that is a list of word that are automatically replaced as it helps the newbies and the referencing of the forum on Google.

For example:

Word_replacement.jpg
Hahaha, why on earth would you change S.T.F.U. to shut the fuck up?

I just realised actually it might be my chrome browser, never noticed the word suggestion bar that's always on it. Its only on incognito and I only use that for here so that would make sense as to why I never noticed this problem anywhere else. Though I also run in to trouble searching for that all that gadget prone I love so much.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rudiger wrote:
4 months ago
Hahaha, why on earth would you change S.T.F.U. to shut the fuck up?
I don't know, I guess it looks cleaner to me :p. I add those on the fly based on what I see written on the forum.

On another subject, I have a question for the creative members on here. I want to create forum ranks with progression bars according to the members' number of posts.

You know, something like 1 post = hair loss newbie, 50 posts = junior member, 500 posts = hair loss expert, 1000 = hair loss guru, etc.

So yeah if anyone has ideas, don't hesitate, I will then implement the best suggestions :).

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Admin wrote:
4 months ago
I don't know, I guess it looks cleaner to me :p. I add those on the fly based on what I see written on the forum.

On another subject, I have a question for the creative members on here. I want to create forum ranks with progression bars according to the members' number of posts.

You know, something like 1 post = hair loss newbie, 50 posts = junior member, 500 posts = hair loss expert, 1000 = hair loss guru, etc.

So yeah if anyone has ideas, don't hesitate, I will then implement the best suggestions :).
Maybe rank them on extremities of hair loss treatments. In the same way you get deep in to treatments it reflects how deep in to the forum you get. 1 post- biotin, 100 posts- nizoral, 10,000 posts- tranny drugs

Maybe not "tranny drugs" but y'know what I mean. Although "tranny drugs" would be funny too.