Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1541
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 3357
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling
Location: Belgium
Age: 29
Contact:

Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Post by Admin » 10 months ago

Hello everyone,

I thought we could have thread where everyone could make their suggestions regarding the forum features, what functions they would like to see, what they would like to change, etc.

Here's what I already added that I thought would be useful:µ

- A reputation system (it would be great if you could tell me if it's working properly for you)
- A custom "Norwood level" field on the profile: we know it's something some of us would have really found useful on the other forums. What is that person's actual level of hair loss? It will help us not to take the NW1.5's who say that hair loss is no big deal seriously
- A custom field 'Regimen', that was a given

I also thought about a field to talk about how many hair transplants you've had, but I don't want to overload the board.

So if you have any ideas, don't hesitate, shoot! I will also keep you updated on the new features I add in this thread so you can give me your opinion on them.

Admin

User avatar
Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 824
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 1345
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Re: Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Post by Arjen » 10 months ago

I‘ve just tried to award a „reputational point“. Maybe it‘s because I‘m on my cell, but it wouldn‘t let me.

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1541
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 3357
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling
Location: Belgium
Age: 29
Contact:

Re: Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Post by Admin » 10 months ago

Arjen wrote:
10 months ago
I‘ve just tried to award a „reputational point“. Maybe it‘s because I‘m on my cell, but it wouldn‘t let me.
I just upvoted your post on my smartphone (Android with Chrome), can you see it?

I'm going to see if it's a matter of permissions on the forum, check out the setting a little.

Thanks for the report!

User avatar
Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 824
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 1345
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Re: Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Post by Arjen » 10 months ago

When I click on your zero, I get a message, but no option to upvote - so it‘s probably a matter of permission...or my blindness.;)

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1541
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 3357
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling
Location: Belgium
Age: 29
Contact:

Re: Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Post by Admin » 10 months ago

Arjen wrote:
10 months ago
When I click on your zero, I get a message, but no option to upvote - so it‘s probably a matter of permission...or my blindness.;)
I changed the settings, can you try it out now and tell me if it works? Thanks!

Edit: it works! Thank you!

User avatar
pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 426
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 1190

Re: Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Post by pjhair » 10 months ago

I also can't post reputation even though I tried several times in the past few days. At first I thought may be I have to make certain number of posts in order to have access to that feature but now I am wondering if it's some kind of setting.

As this thread is about suggestions to improve the site, I have a couple:

(1) People are attracted to good looking things. That partly explains why iPhone became so popular. So I think focusing on improving the form factor of
this site will be helpful.

(2) Have more sub forums that may draw more people such Hair Transplant Results, New research, etc. These are something hair loss sufferers
search for which may eventually lead them to this forum. Alternatively, like Afro_Vacancy suggested in one of his posts, you can expand the scope of
this site beyond hair loss to the impact of aesthetics in general. Another feature of this site can be offering suggestion and advise to people who are
struggling in dating. I think(hope?) many of us have realistic view on these things so our suggestions can be helpful to some people.

These are some things I can think of as of now. If I think of something else, I will let you guys know.

User avatar
pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 426
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 1190

Re: Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Post by pjhair » 10 months ago

Just an update, now I can post reputations.

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1541
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 3357
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling
Location: Belgium
Age: 29
Contact:

Re: Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Post by Admin » 10 months ago

pjhair wrote:
10 months ago
1) People are attracted to good looking things. That partly explains why iPhone became so popular. So I think focusing on improving the form factor of
this site will be helpful.

(2) Have more sub forums that may draw more people such Hair Transplant Results, New research, etc. These are something hair loss sufferers
search for which may eventually lead them to this forum. Alternatively, like Afro_Vacancy suggested in one of his posts, you can expand the scope of
this site beyond hair loss to the impact of aesthetics in general. Another feature of this site can be offering suggestion and advise to people who are
struggling in dating. I think(hope?) many of us have realistic view on these things so our suggestions can be helpful to some people.

These are some things I can think of as of now. If I think of something else, I will let you guys know.
(1) I will try to keep this website as simple as possible so I think the native theme of the phpbb board will do for now. I will see if I have time to tweak the design in the future but clarity and especially quality content will be my main goals for the time being.

(2) I wanted the forum to remain simple, at least at first, I don't necessarily want to create a clone of Hairlosstalk. But you're right, a dating advice subforum given the history of the impact section was a given, so I added it. With that section added, I think "impact of aesthetics" would be redundant. Improving your aesthetics = improving your chances on the dating scene. I also want to avoid turning this forum into sluthate/lookism. I want guys to think "how can I become better at dating" since it includes factors outside of looks, rather than "need to looksmax and become Chad to have a chance!" :p.

Thank you for your suggestions pjhair :).

User avatar
blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1152
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 1521

Re: Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Post by blackg » 10 months ago

Admin wrote:
10 months ago
(1) I will try to keep this website as simple as possible so I think the native theme of the phpbb board will do for now. I will see if I have time to tweak the design in the future but clarity and especially quality content will be my main goals for the time being.

(2) I wanted the forum to remain simple, at least at first, I don't necessarily want to create a clone of Hairlosstalk. But you're right, a dating advice subforum given the history of the impact section was a given, so I added it. With that section added, I think "impact of aesthetics" would be redundant. Improving your aesthetics = improving your chances on the dating scene. I also want to avoid turning this forum into sluthate/lookism. I want guys to think "how can I become better at dating" since it includes factors outside of looks, rather than "need to looksmax and become Chad to have a chance!" :p.

Thank you for your suggestions pjhair :).
Hi Fred.
When I tap on to a thread that has some fresh submissions (new comments) added, my phone doesn't automatically take me straight to the first unread post.
It just takes me to the top of the page/thread.
Then I have to scroll down and actively find the fresh posts with my own eyes.

This will prove very problematic as these threads grow and grow.
Do you think this a hardware problem or maybe it could be my phone?

I'm using an android with chrome.

All the best.
Let's pay the slaves

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1541
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 3357
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling
Location: Belgium
Age: 29
Contact:

Re: Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Post by Admin » 10 months ago

blackg wrote:
10 months ago
Hi Fred.
When I tap on to a thread that has some fresh submissions (new comments) added, my phone doesn't automatically take me straight to the first unread post.
It just takes me to the top of the page/thread.
Then I have to scroll down and actively find the fresh posts with my own eyes.

This will prove very problematic as these threads grow and grow.
Do you think this a hardware problem or maybe it could be my phone?

I'm using an android with chrome.

All the best.
Hey blackg, you have to click on the red icon that's on the left of the post's title to automatically display the posts that you haven't read yet. I hope this helps.

Admin

User avatar
blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1152
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 1521

Re: Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Post by blackg » 10 months ago

Admin wrote:
10 months ago
Hey blackg, you have to click on the red icon that's on the left of the post's title to automatically display the posts that you haven't read yet. I hope this helps.

Admin
Ahh... Thanks.
Let's pay the slaves

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1541
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 3357
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling
Location: Belgium
Age: 29
Contact:

Re: Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Post by Admin » 10 months ago

So I added some new "features" to the forum:

- A top 10 of the most 'popular' members on the homepage based on their reputation
- Google Adsense ads (sorry guys, I am an evil capitalist after all :p)
- A donate button in the footer of the forum (really evil! Not gonna e-beg though)
- You can now tag/mention other members in a post by using @ , they will receive a notification that they've been mentionned. Edit: it should work now.
- I added some kind of banner, so here it is: a before/after of Prince William. I think it really drives home the impact of hair loss. No tricks either, like "he looks retarted in the after pic, he's not smiling, he's not dressed well etc.". If the banner doesn't display properly for you, just empty the cache of your browser. I suspect the majority of the members here visit the forum on their smartphones so they won't see the banner anyway :p. But I thought it would add a nice touch.

User avatar
Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 824
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 1345
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Re: Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Post by Arjen » 10 months ago

Admin wrote:
10 months ago
So I added some new "features" to the forum:

- A top 10 of the most 'popular' members on the homepage based on their reputation
- Google Adsense ads (sorry guys, I am an evil capitalist after all :p)
- A donate button in the footer of the forum (really evil! Not gonna e-beg though)
- You can now tag/mention other members in a post by using @ , they will receive a notification that they've been mentionned. Edit: it should work now.
- I added some kind of banner, so here it is: a before/after of Prince William. I think it really drives home the impact of hair loss. No tricks either, like "he looks retarted in the after pic, he's not smiling, he's not dressed well etc.". If the banner doesn't display properly for you, just empty the cache of your browser. I suspect the majority of the members here visit the forum on their smartphones so they won't see the banner anyway :p. But I thought it would add a nice touch.
But...he's more pale and his lips don't show as well :P

swingline747
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 13
Norwood: NW3
Contact:

Re: Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Post by swingline747 » 10 months ago

@Admin

Most of the self descriptives could just be left up to your profile page honestly.
I would just make a few more forums sections/sub sections but that all depends on your personal goals really.

User avatar
pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 426
Joined: 10 months ago
Reputation: 1190

Re: Forum features - updates, suggestions and bug reports

Post by pjhair » 10 months ago

Admin wrote:
10 months ago
So I added some new "features" to the forum:

- A top 10 of the most 'popular' members on the homepage based on their reputation
- Google Adsense ads (sorry guys, I am an evil capitalist after all :p)
- A donate button in the footer of the forum (really evil! Not gonna e-beg though)
- You can now tag/mention other members in a post by using @ , they will receive a notification that they've been mentionned. Edit: it should work now.
- I added some kind of banner, so here it is: a before/after of Prince William. I think it really drives home the impact of hair loss. No tricks either, like "he looks retarted in the after pic, he's not smiling, he's not dressed well etc.". If the banner doesn't display properly for you, just empty the cache of your browser. I suspect the majority of the members here visit the forum on their smartphones so they won't see the banner anyway :p. But I thought it would add a nice touch.
Excellent banner choice.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests