Film and television discussion thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by blackg » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:36 pm

JeanLucBB wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:32 pm
You never watched the final episode even? It was the middle of the series that was meandering in my opinion, the ending was top-tier. The show definitely lacked the succinctness of The Wire or Breaking Bad for example though.
The very last scene in the Sopranos last episode is a good one and the perfect way to finish it.

Also, Meadow Soprano was worth watching the average episodes for. She was smokin'!

Blow me.
Stop the caravans!

JeanLucBB
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JeanLucBB » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:38 pm

blackg wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:44 am
I agree with Fred to an extent. In my dealings with the local and state bureaucracies the odds seem to be stacked heavily in your favour if you happen to be indigenous or a recently arrived non-white immigrant.

But, on a social level (interacting with the local communities) the indigenous and non-whites do suffer a form of discrimination, especially in the dating sphere.

That's just my small sample to offer this debate.
Holy fuck, an honest comment about race in Australia from CuckG. You shouldn't let yourself get drunk enough that you break character again though its creepy.

JeanLucBB
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by JeanLucBB » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:49 pm

Uncle Grandfather wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:45 am
Most professional athletes are much more well off than the average person. That was my main point. Kind of surprising to hear about the hockey player, but not that surprising about the boxer. Still, my point stands.

Someone's status definitely does affect their credibility. They can't relate to the struggles of everyday people, among other similar things. I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinions, but I really can't take a rich person tackling "social issues" seriously when they live such pampered lives. I'd really like to see you say the same thing if the majority of celebrities & athletes were conservative, speaking in favor of strong borders, etc. (by the way, I'd still take their opinions just as seriously, which is to say not at all).

Can you give some examples of pro athletes being pulled over? Was it just because they were black, or were they actually disobeying the law (blacks are capable of committing crime, you know).

I know it's marketing bullshit. My point was that's the image they've painted for themselves, so it seems counterproductive to allow the kneeling.

Can you give some examples of Republicans "losing their minds" at liberal boycotts, other than the NFL kneeling? I sincerely doubt it's even remotely the same caliber as when a conservative gets "exposed" on social media. Or angry lefties burning down a college campus & causing millions in property damage.

Look, you seem like a sincere person and the truth is I would rather not argue with you. However, you can't throw out terms like "social injustice" and not provide any examples.

By the way, I firmly believe in climate change.
The way you say "By the way, I firmly believe in climate change." is so cucked I couldn't read it either. Not that it doesn't exist, but conservatives who think anthropogenic climate change is a serious, or well understood issue simply haven't looked at any data on the subject so shouldn't be fanning the flames on it.

I mean you spent the 90% of your comment complaining about a non-issue, and then end it by standing up for one in which lefties have wasted TRILLIONS of tax payer dollars for the sake of nothing but increasing energy prices, destabilising its supply and virtue signalling. Well done.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Following Ken Burns' The Vietnam War (one of the best documentaries that I've seen) I watched a lot of trash to recover. I'm now working through season 6 of Once Upon a Time. I'm likely to watch something more serious next, lol.

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:28 am

JeanLucBB wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:32 pm
You never watched the final episode even? It was the middle of the series that was meandering in my opinion, the ending was top-tier. The show definitely lacked the succinctness of The Wire or Breaking Bad for example though.
I watched it, but I just didn't like how it left people hanging. I also didn't like what happened
to Tony's friend's wife. It was kind of fucked up, in my opinion.

It was actually supposed to be a comedy. The first two seasons nailed it. The third season,
it kind of went down hill. And more so each season after.

That's kind of how I felt about Game of Thrones. It was good (excellent is a better word),
season six. Season seven kind of sucked, just wasn't really happening. I'm not excited
for season eight.

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:30 am

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:26 pm
I've watched all of the Vampire Diaries and The Originals. I'd rank them as neither amazing nor terrible, just enjoyable. It's widely regarded as trash, I don't know if that's true but if so then so be it. I'll probably try out Legacies.
So, did you think that Tom Cruise did a good job acting in that movie? I remember seeing it
when it actually came out.

The author actually apologized for Tom Cruise in the beginning of the movie, and there
were a lot of protests.

To me, that was not only disrespectful (her coming out and asking about her choice, and
apologizing in the movie), but it was not cool for her to do it there. Really, people just
hate him because he is a Scientologist, that's really the only reason. That, and he has
good hair (is why I hate him, to be honest).

Uncle Grandfather
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: 5% Minoxidil, 1 mg Finasteride, Nizoral

Post by Uncle Grandfather » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:38 am

JeanLucBB wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:49 pm
The way you say "By the way, I firmly believe in climate change." is so cucked I couldn't read it either. Not that it doesn't exist, but conservatives who think anthropogenic climate change is a serious, or well understood issue simply haven't looked at any data on the subject so shouldn't be fanning the flames on it.

I mean you spent the 90% of your comment complaining about a non-issue, and then end it by standing up for one in which lefties have wasted TRILLIONS of tax payer dollars for the sake of nothing but increasing energy prices, destabilising its supply and virtue signalling. Well done.
Good thing it was the last sentence in my post, then. Also when did I say I'm a conservative, or that I'm in favor of how much money gets poured into climate change research?
Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind

JeanLucBB
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by JeanLucBB » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Uncle Grandfather wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:38 am
Good thing it was the last sentence in my post, then. Also when did I say I'm a conservative, or that I'm in favor of how much money gets poured into climate change research?
I'd compare it to the guy that doesn't support gay marriage for example but ends his argument with "but I have gay friends". The basic idea of climate change isn't in dispute by ANYONE of any political persuasion either, the question is anthropogenic climate change and interaction of human influence on variables.

Uncle Grandfather
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: 5% Minoxidil, 1 mg Finasteride, Nizoral

Post by Uncle Grandfather » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:55 am

JeanLucBB wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:45 pm
I'd compare it to the guy that doesn't support gay marriage for example but ends his argument with "but I have gay friends". The basic idea of climate change isn't in dispute by ANYONE of any political persuasion either, the question is anthropogenic climate change and interaction of human influence on variables.
Fair enough.
Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:59 pm

I'm back to watching trash.

I've started Man in the High Castle season 3. So far, it is not as good as seasons 1 and 2 but I hope that this changes. I also don't like the direction of the show. Showing an alternate reality where the allies lost WWII was a great idea, but they're now digging deep into this alternate dimension parallel universe hopping science fiction shit, it's less interesting.

If people lived in that world, they wouldn't mostly be imagining a better world let alone our world let alone a lone hero changing everything. They'd be coming to terms with living in that world.

The world also feels small. John Smith is the head of the American reich in New York or the USA (which one?), he should be surrounded by a lot more staff.

Separately, I've started Van Helsing season 3. Episode 1 is the only episode out now. It was ok, they killed off a lot of characters (probably to prioritize storylines), so I wonder what they're going to do with the rest. Right now it's kind of a mish mash of other zombie / vampire apocalypse storylines, super-vampires are on the way along with human who want to dose themselves with vampire abilities while staying human. However, I enjoyed the first episode. It knows what it is.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling every 10 days

Post by Admin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:25 am

Recently I watched the whole Avatar - The Last Airbender TV show for the first time and I'd highly recommend it. The story relies on strong archetypal themes and it came out in 2005, a time when TV shows weren't yet contaminated by the social justice warrior ideology.

You can see proto-SJW elements here and there though: like when one of the kids tells a girl that looks like a boy: "if you're confident, it doesn't matter what others think, you can be whoever you want". One of the rare times I cringed while watching that show. The rest was pretty amazing and well-balanced: male characters can be benevolent, female character can be evil and all the characters are complex and have have real flaws, even Aang, the main character of the show.

Oh yeah, for once we have a bald hero, or so you'd think. He just shaves his head, they let his hair grow during almost a complete season to show you that "nooo, he's not a bald loser! What did you think? He's a hero!".

Other than that, here are some movies I watched recently and what my impressions were:

- End of Watch: pretty surprising cop movie mostly filmed through dashcams and bodycams. It came out 6 years ago and while watching it, I was thinking "a lot of this wouldn't make it in Hollywood these days", I don't think cops would ever be portrayed so friendly and relatable in 2018. And that brings me to the next movie.

- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: I really didn't like that one, the director clearly wants to play around with our sense of right or wrong, of morality, every character is so forcefully painted as good and evil at the same time that the realism of the movie gets damaged pretty quickly. The movie just had no real story, nothing touching, so it's very forgettable. And let's not even talk about its über-feminist main character and his string of idiotic and cartoonishly racist men. The director tries this common thing these days which is attribute traditionally male characteristics to the female characters (strong, kicks ass and balls, emotionally unshakable) and vice-versa. Hollywood is not even trying to be subtle about this inversion, one scene where the male cops were crying like little girls was particularly cringe-worthy.

- The Great Debaters: great movie based on historical events which portrayed how a group of black people managed to advance the fight for racial equality in the US through debate.

- Driving Miss Daisy: I saw some radical leftists say that this movie was racist while of course, the exact opposite is true. Very endearing and filled with comedic moments. The movie leaves you with a big smile on your face.

- Wonder: I cried. Yes, the story sounds cliche: the ugly kid who struggles to be accepted by society, but they pulled it off here. Very few SJW elements which is always appreciated, except maybe the sister of the main character who has to have a romance with a black guy... Ah well, why not? Very hard to believe that this choice was innocent these days.

Deadpool 2: aaand the movie succumbed to SJW ideology to an extent. You could argue that the movie was making fun of the ideology but it's hard to tell. In one of the rare serious scenes, one the main characters who is an overweight kid says: "How come there are no plus-size superheroes?!" I cringed. It's less funny than the first one overall, and you can tell that they tried not to go too far by fear of upsetting the Twitter mobs.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:57 pm

I finished Better call Saul

Still like it. It was a season that ends with some understanding of how Jimmy became Saul.
You also see Mike take a turn to darker side.
I think Mike’s arch could have been ‘more’—maybe next season they will dissect it a bit but I think Jimmy/Saul was interesting/telling.
I don’t know how many more seasons but will be bummed when it ends for good.

I was watching Yellowstone but missed finale and they don’t seem to have it available on demand yet.
It’s a good looking show scenically. I really like the damaged slutty daughter character/actress.

I still have to watch Ozark season 3.
I also have to binge season 2 of The Deuce (love that show).
Not sure if I should watch Mr Robot season 3 (anyone keep up with that)
I will watch Season 2 of Mrs Mazel when it airs.
Was a surprisingly a really good show.

Pat
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: Dutasteride, minoxidil, ketokonazole, dermarolling.

Post by Pat » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Hairblues wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:57 pm
I finished Better call Saul

Still like it. It was a season that ends with some understanding of how Jimmy became Saul.
You also see Mike take a turn to darker side.
I think Mike’s arch could have been ‘more’—maybe next season they will dissect it a bit but I think Jimmy/Saul was interesting/telling.
I don’t know how many more seasons but will be bummed when it ends for good.

I was watching Yellowstone but missed finale and they don’t seem to have it available on demand yet.
It’s a good looking show scenically. I really like the damaged slutty daughter character/actress.

I still have to watch Ozark season 3.
I also have to binge season 2 of The Deuce (love that show).
Not sure if I should watch Mr Robot season 3 (anyone keep up with that)
I will watch Season 2 of Mrs Mazel when it airs.
Was a surprisingly a really good show.
I've watched the season finale of Better Call Saul aswell. I like the show overall, it's not as good as Breaking Bad, but then again have an spin-off series ever been as good or better than the original? I do hope they show more of Gustavo Fring, he's my favorite character in both the original and the spin-off.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Pat wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:22 pm
I've watched the season finale of Better Call Saul aswell. I like the show overall, it's not as good as Breaking Bad, but then again have an spin-off series ever been as good or better than the original? I do hope they show more of Gustavo Fring, he's my favorite character in both the original and the spin-off.
Breaking Bad was like the best TV show ever. To be honest it’s my favorite ‘anything’ story/performance—film book tv show. Yeah, Gus is fantastic character.
I really like the actors who play Mike and Jimmy.
I’m curious to see what the show creators do next.
It’s sad because I liked the Kim and Jimmy relationship when it was good. I missed the 1st episode, how he initially reacted to his brothers death.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:33 pm

Admin wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:25 am
Recently I watched the whole Avatar - The Last Airbender TV show for the first time and I'd highly recommend it. The story relies on strong archetypal themes and it came out in 2005, a time when TV shows weren't yet contaminated by the social justice warrior ideology.
It's a really beautiful show, I hope to be able to watch it again sometime. I also liked the follow up, The Legend of Korra. I think that it wasn't as good as the The Last Airbender, but it was still very good. It had strong themes, character arcs, world-building, and animation. Where it failed (in my opinion) was that the comic relief characters were not as funny, they were actually annoying.

There's an animated series by the same creators on Netflix called "The Dragon Prince", I'd like to watch it.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/10/1755 ... der-writer

They're also making a live-action Avatar adaption for Netflix:
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/avatar ... 202946788/
I don't see the point though. The story is already well-made. I'd be interested in seeing different stories told in the same world, but the available story was already done very well.