A thread for books

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
JLBB
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Re: A thread for books

Post by JLBB » 1 month ago

Murkey Thumb wrote:
1 month ago
You will not be disappointed by these books. Although with Camus & Nietzsche its worth reading a synopsis first.

0_GuEKJUTdR24Yg86G_.jpg
These are very good, but in my opinion The Road is very overrated and a minor Mcarthy. Suttree and Blood Meridian are stunning in comparison and even other minor works like Child of God are more interesting.

Murkey Thumb
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW4

Post by Murkey Thumb » 1 month ago

JLBB wrote:
1 month ago
These are very good, but in my opinion The Road is very overrated and a minor Mcarthy. Suttree and Blood Meridian are stunning in comparison and even other minor works like Child of God are more interesting.
I love everything he writes and it was a difficult choice but 'The Road' is the only book i can remember immediately starting again from the beginning after i had read the last line. I know it is a short book but the descriptive bleakness really had me transfixed. I haven't read Suttree or Blood Meridian yet but will on your recommendation.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 1 month ago

Stephen King - Pet Sematary

stephen-king-pet-sematary.jpg
stephen-king-pet-sematary.jpg (352.47 KiB) Viewed 430 times

Viktor E. Frankl - Man Search for Meaning

viktor-e-frankl-man-search-for-meaning.jpg
viktor-e-frankl-man-search-for-meaning.jpg (20.42 KiB) Viewed 430 times

Christopher R. Browning - Ordinary Men

christopher-r-browning-ordinary-men.jpg
christopher-r-browning-ordinary-men.jpg (129.7 KiB) Viewed 430 times

Alexandr Solzhenitsyn - The Gulag Archipelago

aleksandr-solzhenitsyn-the-gulag-archipelago.jpg
aleksandr-solzhenitsyn-the-gulag-archipelago.jpg (325.63 KiB) Viewed 430 times

Jordan B. Peterson -12 Rules for life - An Antidote to Chaos

jordan-peterson-12-rules-for-life.png
jordan-peterson-12-rules-for-life.png (375.6 KiB) Viewed 430 times

Jordan B. Peterson - Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief

jordan-peterson-maps-of-meaning.png
jordan-peterson-maps-of-meaning.png (27.58 KiB) Viewed 430 times

The Bible

the-bible.png
the-bible.png (205.67 KiB) Viewed 430 times

Xexos
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1.25 MG ED .. Tea Tree Shampoo 3x a week

Post by Xexos » 1 month ago

Admin wrote:
1 month ago
Stephen King - Pet Sematary

stephen-king-pet-sematary.jpg

Viktor E. Frankl - Man Search for Meaning

viktor-e-frankl-man-search-for-meaning.jpg

Christopher R. Browning - Ordinary Men

christopher-r-browning-ordinary-men.jpg

Alexandr Solzhenitsyn - The Gulag Archipelago

aleksandr-solzhenitsyn-the-gulag-archipelago.jpg

Jordan B. Peterson -12 Rules for life - An Antidote to Chaos

jordan-peterson-12-rules-for-life.png

Jordan B. Peterson - Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief

jordan-peterson-maps-of-meaning.png

The Bible

the-bible.png
I'm actually planning to read the Bible but after finishing the Talmud and Old Testament and then i'll read the Bible and then study Islam.

I wanna study the Abrahamic religions by order.

Murkey Thumb
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Stan22 wrote:
1 month ago
I'm actually planning to read the Bible but after finishing the Talmud and Old Testament and then i'll read the Bible and then study Islam.

I wanna study the Abrahamic religions by order.
You would be better off studying The History and philosophy of religion to get a better world view. I think religion is always better studied with a historic eye as much has changed in the past couple of thousands of years and a lot of the rise of religious thought comes from the requirement to control mass populations.

Xexos
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Murkey Thumb wrote:
1 month ago
You would be better off studying The History and philosophy of religion to get a better world view. I think religion is always better studied with a historic eye as much has changed in the past couple of thousands of years and a lot of the rise of religious thought comes from the requirement to control mass populations.
I'll study both, but i'd like to start with religion.

And the claim that "religion is used to control the masses" is honestly retarded said by nearly all atheists and has nothing to back it up. Call them prophets or whatever, but the people who brought religions to the people from God (Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, etc) were actually always oppressed by their people and the system back then, some were killed or kicked out of their countries, some were tortured, etc. People rarely followed them back then or even cared about them.

And it honestly baffles me when i see atheists always dismissing conspiracies because they're "silly" and "stupid", but ironically believe that religions were the biggest conspiracy from governments to control the masses for some reason.

Murkey Thumb
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Stan22 wrote:
1 month ago
I'll study both, but i'd like to start with religion.

And the claim that "religion is used to control the masses" is honestly retarded said by nearly all atheists and has nothing to back it up. Call them prophets or whatever, but the people who brought religions to the people from God (Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, etc) were actually always oppressed by their people and the system back then, some were killed or kicked out of their countries, some were tortured, etc. People rarely followed them back then or even cared about them.

And it honestly baffles me when i see atheists always dismissing conspiracies because they're "silly" and "stupid", but ironically believe that religions were the biggest conspiracy from governments to control the masses for some reason.
That is not actually factually correct though Stan that is why you have to study the history of religion first. Christianity was not popularized until the roman emperor Constantine adopted it although he spent most of his life as a pagan. Muhammad was a poet, political leader and warrior who united the Arab tribes though battles and marriage. I have no problem with the teachings of Moses, Jesus or Muhammad but organised religion has always been susceptible to manipulation.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 1 month ago

Murkey Thumb wrote:
1 month ago
but organised religion has always been susceptible to manipulation.
Just like politics (no example needed), science (anti-vaxxers, climate change, fat causing heart disease), philosophy (sophism, postmodernism) or any human endeavor.

It's all about manipulating reality itself. Yes, religion can go wrong, just like anything, I believe it's a weak argument to discredit religion as a fundamental part of a human life.

Xexos
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Murkey Thumb wrote:
1 month ago
That is not actually factually correct though Stan that is why you have to study the history of religion first. Christianity was not popularized until the roman emperor Constantine adopted it although he spent most of his life as a pagan. Muhammad was a poet, political leader and warrior who united the Arab tribes though battles and marriage. I have no problem with the teachings of Moses, Jesus or Muhammad but organised religion has always been susceptible to manipulation.
Wrong.

First, Constantine adopted Christianity THREE centuries after it existed, and he wasn't actually Christian, he was a Heathen, What Constantine did was trying to end the conflict between different Christianity sects, and that happened in First Council of Nicaea.

Muhammad wasn't a poet because he actually couldn't read and write. His people knew that and when they opposed him they accused him of using magic because the Quran was such a miracle no one would capable of, never mind an illiterate. I'm sure he wasn't involved in politics either because he was a merchant and wasn't a part of "the Arabic elite" back then, actually they tried to kill him and forced him and the Muslims to get out of Mecca.

Battles and marriage existed far before Islam did, because there were Jews, Christians, Heathens, etc. And they all had different traditions and customs, so it's not marriage that would make them leave their whole religion and join Islam, that's a really dumb argument actually (no offence).

And why would they want to manipulate people anyways ? I'm gonna ask you some questions. Wouldn't it had been easier for Muhammad or Jesus to invent a religion that matches what their people want ? They could have claimed that they were sent by those statues people worshipped back then and people would have liked it and they would have had much more followers. They were offered money and status from their people to give up their beliefs and they refused, so they didn't want money or something similar. Instead they chose to oppose their people and got tortured, killed, kicked out of their country, insulted, etc. For what exactly all of that ? What did they gain from suffering like this ? Were they Billionaires ? Did they own the world back then ? If they knew that it's all fake they would know that it's over once you die and there's no point in doing this if you're going to die anyways.

Also why did they make their religion too hard to follow ? Islam for example you can't drink, have pre martial sex, eat pork, use usury, listen to music, etc. Why did they make their religions so hard to follow ? Wouldn't that be unattractive to people and would make them get tired easily and quickly ?

What about their closest followers too ? Were they also participating in that conspiracy/scheme ? What did they gain as well ? Being tortured and killed in battles and kicked with their families to help someone else manipulating people they're never gonna even see because they would be dead ?

I wish atheists weren't just too brainwashed by anti-religion propaganda and used their brains for a bit and asked some questions similar to that and they would reach the truth much easier. Every atheist i debate or see say the same repeated shit like a carbon copies of each others. They believe what they heard from the media or were taught in school and they never even bothered to give it a min of thought (because if everyone does it, it must be true/right!). Atheists choose blissful ignorance and like to bury their heads in the sand and ignore God and the truth because they hate God and have personal problem with him (some feel disappointed and some feel angry at him), or they're just too prideful or lazy to follow him.

As i said before, it's not that you CAN'T believe in God, it's that you DON'T want to believe in him because deep down you have a serious problem with him.

Murkey Thumb
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

But i do believe in God and I am a church going Catholic. However i am not blind to the failings of organised religion. Do i blindly believe everything i was taught by the priest hood? No i don't. Do i follow the teachings of Jesus? Yes i do. There is a difference and to know the difference you have to have the historic background otherwise uncomfortable truths cannot be addressed.

Xexos
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Murkey Thumb wrote:
1 month ago
But i do believe in God and I am a church going Catholic. However i am not blind to the failings of organised religion. Do i blindly believe everything i was taught by the priest hood? No i don't. Do i follow the teachings of Jesus? Yes i do. There is a difference and to know the difference you have to have the historic background otherwise uncomfortable truths cannot be addressed.
Sorry for doubting you then and being kinda harsh.

And i agree with you, we should take religion from it's original source, not from some people who claim to speak the word of God when they only care about their own selfish interests.

Exodus
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 1 month ago

well its hard to recommend anything if i dont know your favorite genres. but i'll guess i'll give some i think you would like based on your personality

a great intellectual type book thats accessible is "brave new world". i think you would relate to it a lot seeing as you're "degeneracy" and loose social morals and all. legit i feel like the book has predicted quite a bit about the modern world

harry potter is accessible as well and very very good if you're into fantasy. i've read through the series like 4 times now, its sort of a tradition of mine to reread it every now and then. legit cry everytime reading it :smirk:

if you like fantasy and/or sci fi then artemis fowl is great as well. its like harry potter + science fiction + action movies. its about this genius who discovers a secret hyper advanced underground civilization of fairies. the twist being theyre just another natural species but high tech, the only magic they have is the ability to heal

i would recommend 1984 as well but cope already did

my favorite science fiction i've read is i robot. interesting thought experiments concerning artificial intelligence and robots. by the way the movie isn't much like the book. the book is a series of shorts focusing on progressively more advanced robots.

all of these recommendations are easy to read . i like all these despite me having a hard time reading as it gives me a headache and i have difficulty visualizing based on descriptions.

C4L
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: dropped finasteride after almost 2 years

Post by C4L » 5 days ago

For those who like 20-century history, I'd recommend this book about Goebbels aka Nazi incel by David Irving. This is a better insight of incel life than even Eliot Rodger's manifesto.

Just read a few chapters, it could be easily found and downloaded from the google.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 5 days ago

C4L wrote:
5 days ago

For those who like 20-century history, I'd recommend this book about Goebbels aka Nazi incel by David Irving. This is a better insight of incel life than even Eliot Rodger's manifesto.

Just read a few chapters, it could be easily found and downloaded from the google.
David Irving is a holocaust denier so I'd rather say "for those who like 20th century fiction".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Irving

C4L
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: dropped finasteride after almost 2 years

Post by C4L » 5 days ago

Admin wrote:
5 days ago
David Irving is a holocaust denier so I'd rather say "for those who like 20th century fiction".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Irving
He is, yet this book isn't about the Holocaust. I mean, Richard Wagner was an obstinate antisemite nonetheless he produced beautiful music.

David Irving is one of the most profound researchers of Nazi characters and it's a shame that he stained himself in the Holocaust denies.

I'm reading Goebbels diaries simultaneously (the short version is 2.5k pages in German) and so far David didn't alter anything.