Amount of hair loss related to age

Discuss how hair loss has affected you, someone you know, or a public figure.
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1974
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 5008
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.
Location: Belgium
Age: 30
Contact:

Amount of hair loss related to age

#364

Post by Admin » 1 year ago

Uncle Grandfather wrote:
1 year ago
What do you mean? You're always your own worst critic. Unless a serious cosmetic flaw is pointed out to you (either directly or indirectly), chances are it's all in your head.
I can confirm, even when I was 22 and had like 500 sickly hairs left on my NW5, people would tell me (sometimes aggresively):

"I don't understand, you have hair, I see hair everywhere, why don't you let it grow?"

* sigh *

Now that I'm lightyears away from that state after my two hair transplants, I get comments like "damn, it's so dense" from my girlfriend. Lol, no it's not, it's more than acceptable I would say, but not 'dense'.

We are our own worst critic indeed, and it's important to acknowledge that the general population will never be as harsh as us, unless they're narcissists. Those people have a personality disorder which make them believe that only perfect is acceptable, in every area, otherwise they or people they project their insecurities on are despicable and unworthy of love.

Thankfully those people are rare (1-2% of the population). That's why negative comments about my hair were so rare for me. They could still happen now since my hair is not perfect. It was the same on the different forums when I posted the results of my first hair transplant: 99% of positive comments and 1% of people saying it looked like shit.

In doubt, trust the 99%, even though it's tough since our brains are wired to focus on errors. If 99% of people say that it looks good and the other 1% that it looks like shit, something's not right there.
"But Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be silent, and come out of him!” - Mark 1:25 :christian-cross:

User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1341
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1807
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dustasteride 0.5 milligrams daily, Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Amount of hair loss related to age

#1614

Post by rclark » 1 year ago

In my own experience, most of the hair I lost was in my twenties.

In my own opinion, I don't think people should wait and do nothing, when it comes to hair loss.

I think that's what a lot of people, myself included, are doing. I used Minoxidil, but it didn't have
lasting effects for me.

If I could go back in time, I would have used some anti androgen.

That said, age will make everyone look uglier eventually (less muscular looking face, lower metabolism).

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 222
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 339
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Amount of hair loss related to age

#1666

Post by supremegentleman » 1 year ago

I started worrying when I was 16 but I didn't do anything about it until I was 20/21 which is now. I visited a doctor back then and he told my it was hereditary and that medications are expensive. That was the first time I saw the names Regaine and Propecia but I couldn't afford any and parents wouldn't sponsor me. They were always very dismissive about my hair loss and my mother was telling me that I am not balding whenever I told her about.

She admitted that I am in fact balding when it become noticeable and started shifting the blame on my father and told me to thank him for the genetics. My father is bald and my older brother is balding as well. I am the only one doing anything about it so I am curious to see myself in comparison to my brother in couple years time as he is not taking any pills and makes fun of me for doing so.

Balding prematurely runs on both sides of my family. Recently I talked with my uncle (mothers brother) who is norwood 4 and been shaving his head in his 20s, always big on accepting it etc and now he is 35 grows his hair out and considers hair transplant and asked about me about my treatment. He even complemented my hair.

It's really cruel how some people shame baldies. I remember on some family and friends gathering my father was the only bald guys and someone started commenting on it and making fun of him and everyone was laughing except of me. My father tried to laugh it off but I know that deep inside he was hurt. Sometimes we talk about hair transplants and he always says he will get one but never does. He is in his mid 40s and Norwood 6.

I think that balding at young age in late teens or early twenties is the massive hit on anyones self-esteem whether it is NW2 or more and is worrying. I guess for those starting balding at late 20s it is also worrying if they had a fullheads up to then. I think I started balding in my 30 I would be more accepting. Not that I wouldn't do anything about it but it would seem more natural to me. I'm really butthurt that it started so young for me but at least I am more aware, know my enemy and the tools to fight with it.
Last edited by Admin 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Lisibility

User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1341
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1807
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dustasteride 0.5 milligrams daily, Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Amount of hair loss related to age

#1675

Post by rclark » 1 year ago

supremegentleman wrote:
1 year ago
I started worrying when I was 16 but I didn't do anything about it until I was 20/21 which is now. I visited a doctor back then and he told my it was hereditary and that medications are expensive. That was the first time I saw the names Regaine and Propecia but I couldn't afford any and parents wouldn't sponsor me. They were always very dismissive about my hair loss and my mother was telling me that I am not balding whenever I told her about.

She admitted that I am in fact balding when it become noticeable and started shifting the blame on my father and told me to thank him for the genetics. My father is bald and my older brother is balding as well. I am the only one doing anything about it so I am curious to see myself in comparison to my brother in couple years time as he is not taking any pills and makes fun of me for doing so.

Balding prematurely runs on both sides of my family. Recently I talked with my uncle (mothers brother) who is norwood 4 and been shaving his head in his 20s, always big on accepting it etc and now he is 35 grows his hair out and considers hair transplant and asked about me about my treatment. He even complemented my hair.

It's really cruel how some people shame baldies. I remember on some family and friends gathering my father was the only bald guys and someone started commenting on it and making fun of him and everyone was laughing except of me. My father tried to laugh it off but I know that deep inside he was hurt. Sometimes we talk about hair transplants and he always says he will get one but never does. He is in his mid 40s and Norwood 6.

I think that balding at young age in late teens or early twenties is the massive hit on anyones self-esteem whether it is NW2 or more and is worrying. I guess for those starting balding at late 20s it is also worrying if they had a fullheads up to then. I think I started balding in my 30 I would be more accepting. Not that I wouldn't do anything about it but it would seem more natural to me. I'm really butthurt that it started so young for me but at least I am more aware, know my enemy and the tools to fight with it.
I'm really sorry to hear that, and the issues your father is running into. I can definitely relate to the age part, as I'm
even older than that (I'm near fifty years old). I am only a Norwood 4, but I would be a five or six if I didn't start agressively treating
it in my early forties.

I used Minoxidil 5% for decades, but it didn't do much. Maybe gave me a year or two on my hair.

Both my parents suffered from androgen alopecia, my dad was a Norwood six, but it wasn't until his fifties that he reached that point.

When I started agressively treating it, with Progesterone and Finasteride, things started to reverse. I even used topical
Estrogen (small amount, topically .1%, not very much), for three months but saw side effects.

You really need to start Finasteride right away, and I'm serious about that. The earlier the better. You see,
waiting a long time before treatment will only set the clock further ahead. And there will come a point were you cannot
reverse it, and the follicles will be permanently dead. Do not wait for that time to come.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 222
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 339
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Amount of hair loss related to age

#1678

Post by supremegentleman » 1 year ago

I am on Finasteride. I have been on it for 3 months now. I actually treated myself on my 21st birthday with 6 months supply :D I ve been using minoxidil since beginning of this year so 6 months roughly. Hoping to maintain what I have and maybe regrow something before I get a transplant. Hopefully when I graduate. It will be my present for myself to get a good start into an adult life :D

User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1341
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1807
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dustasteride 0.5 milligrams daily, Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Amount of hair loss related to age

#1733

Post by rclark » 1 year ago

supremegentleman wrote:
1 year ago
I am on Finasteride. I have been on it for 3 months now. I actually treated myself on my 21st birthday with 6 months supply :D I ve been using minoxidil since beginning of this year so 6 months roughly. Hoping to maintain what I have and maybe regrow something before I get a transplant. Hopefully when I graduate. It will be my present for myself to get a good start into an adult life :D
You are smart for not being in denial about early treatment, and being proactive
about it.

That will definitely go a long way as you maintain your hair. You will notice the difference
between you and your brother, (who I assume is not treating it?), as far as hair loss.

User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1341
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1807
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dustasteride 0.5 milligrams daily, Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Amount of hair loss related to age

#11183

Post by rclark » 1 year ago

swingline747 wrote:
1 year ago
At what point in ones life should you really be worrying? Like 20 = NW2 (example) I know there are guys who get frantic when they get some minimal temple recession in their late 20s and the rest of the NW3 21 years olds get up in arms about it but where would you say a good age/loss range is to begin to REALLY worry.
I would take into account family genetics as well, but maybe as a sub discussion. Like if you are NW 1.5 at 22 but your dad was NW5-6 by 31 maybe that grants you bonus bitching points.
This has been my own experience, dealing with people in the 40+ age range daily. Most of them are either Norwood four (50%),
some are full heads, around 25%, and there is the other 25%, which are either Norwood five are higher, or Norwood 3/2 range.

User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 591
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1887
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Amount of hair loss related to age

#11207

Post by EvilLocks » 1 year ago

Admin wrote:
1 year ago
I can confirm, even when I was 22 and had like 500 sickly hairs left on my NW5, people would tell me (sometimes aggresively):

"I don't understand, you have hair, I see hair everywhere, why don't you let it grow?"

* sigh *
Damn, the anger I feel when I hear something like this. That's something people will tell you when they don't know what else to say to comfort you, either that or they're actually trying to convince themselves ''it's not that bad!"
The amount of times I have heard this is staggering, and not only from people in my personal life but also from professionals like doctors and dermatologists. Only when I reached NW5 territory did people admit that ''yeah, you were right, it is a little thin"
A LITTLE??! I probably have 1/5th of the hair I used to have on top of my head, but yeah...
I think you can understand my frustration as a woman and not be believed about my hair loss for literally YEARS before people finally saw what I had seen all along, from the first time I found those three vellus hairs on my scalp in front of my mirror that day in 2012. No, I did not expect people to see my hair loss with three vellus hairs, but people really need to check their eyesight when they see a young woman with the hair of a middle aged man and tell her ''it's not that bad!", "your hair is probably just changing, nobody has the same hair like when they were young you see!"
OMG. I would agree had I been a 70 year old woman past her menopause, but I was in my early 20s at the time and everyone around me, I repeat EVERYONE (girls) had the exact same hair they had when they were teens and children. My hair could not possibly morph from an insanely thick Wella mane in my childhood and teens to that of a post-menopausal elderly in the matter of a couple of years naturally. Give me a break. When people finally believed me it was the biggest relief of my life, because I no longer felt like the crazy one. They actually did make me feel crazy, professionals told me I was in a psychosis and put me on meds for schizophrenics that time I was in the mental hospital over this. The amount of BS I'd had to endure over this is insane. I feel like all those people including my family owe me an apology but yet I never got one. Anyway, it's over now so what does it matter :wtf:

User avatar
JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 865
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2039
Norwood: NW3.5

Amount of hair loss related to age

#11218

Post by JasonStatham » 1 year ago

EvilLocks wrote:
1 year ago
Damn, the anger I feel when I hear something like this. That's something people will tell you when they don't know what else to say to comfort you, either that or they're actually trying to convince themselves ''it's not that bad!"
The amount of times I have heard this is staggering, and not only from people in my personal life but also from professionals like doctors and dermatologists. Only when I reached NW5 territory did people admit that ''yeah, you were right, it is a little thin"
A LITTLE??! I probably have 1/5th of the hair I used to have on top of my head, but yeah...
I think you can understand my frustration as a woman and not be believed about my hair loss for literally YEARS before people finally saw what I had seen all along, from the first time I found those three vellus hairs on my scalp in front of my mirror that day in 2012. No, I did not expect people to see my hair loss with three vellus hairs, but people really need to check their eyesight when they see a young woman with the hair of a middle aged man and tell her ''it's not that bad!", "your hair is probably just changing, nobody has the same hair like when they were young you see!"
OMG. I would agree had I been a 70 year old woman past her menopause, but I was in my early 20s at the time and everyone around me, I repeat EVERYONE (girls) had the exact same hair they had when they were teens and children. My hair could not possibly morph from an insanely thick Wella mane in my childhood and teens to that of a post-menopausal elderly in the matter of a couple of years naturally. Give me a break. When people finally believed me it was the biggest relief of my life, because I no longer felt like the crazy one. They actually did make me feel crazy, professionals told me I was in a psychosis and put me on meds for schizophrenics that time I was in the mental hospital over this. The amount of BS I'd had to endure over this is insane. I feel like all those people including my family owe me an apology but yet I never got one. Anyway, it's over now so what does it matter :wtf:
@EvilLocks do you think as a woman, you will have a harder time overcome hair loss than men? My observation in general is that society is way nicer to women with ANY physical "problem" than men. For men it's the usual: "Just man up bruh its not so bad".

But hair loss is very rare in women and I can understand that you felt like some menopause elderly lady. Horrible. Men at least see balding/bald guys on daily basis and can "cope" a little. It never worked for me personally, but if I would only see Norwood 1 all day, I'm sure I would have gone even crazier.

But those doctors telling a young woman that loses her hair: "It's not so bad sister...women up!" it's beyond me. Do they even live in the same society as we do?

User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 591
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1887
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Amount of hair loss related to age

#11219

Post by EvilLocks » 1 year ago

JasonStatham wrote:
1 year ago
@EvilLocks do you think as a woman, you will have a harder time overcome hair loss than men? My observation in general is that society is way nicer to women with ANY physical "problem" than men. For men it's the usual: "Just man up bruh its not so bad".

But hair loss is very rare in women and I can understand that you felt like some menopause elderly lady. Horrible. Men at least see balding/bald guys on daily basis and can "cope" a little. It never worked for me personally, but if I would only see Norwood 1 all day, I'm sure I would have gone even crazier.

But those doctors telling a young woman that loses her hair: "It's not so bad sister...women up!" it's beyond me. Do they even live in the same society as we do?
Nah, I think it's relative. However I believe it is generally "worse" for women to lose their hair (at a young age) than it is for men, because it is much rarer and you feel much more alone and like a misfit, because 99.9% of other young women or even older has all their hair.
Still I have come to the conclusion (after a lot of deliberation) that you can't really say it's worse for either or, because we're all so different and cope with things differently.
When baldness hit me it ruined my life, and I mean it ruined it; I slipped into a depression so deep that I lost my motivation to do anything, I could no longer work, and I had to quit my studies after only one year. I lost many friends and also my boyfriend at the time. My relationship with my family became strained, because I was so angry and depressed and on top of this felt misunderstood and alone, I lashed out at them all the time.
Baldness is hard on anyone I think, especially a young person, but another woman with the same problem might have dealt with it ''better'' than me. I have seen women who just ''have fun'' with their wigs, trying on different looks and styles, it was never for me though. And I have also talked to men that were just as depressed as me, that's why I can't say that I had it worse than anybody else!
Bottom line, baldness sucks, but the extent of how much it affects us differs from person to person, and doesn't really have that much to do with our sex.

Added in 4 minutes 11 seconds:
JasonStatham wrote:
1 year ago
My observation in general is that society is way nicer to women with ANY physical "problem" than men. For men it's the usual: "Just man up bruh its not so bad".
This part is true and for me the silver lining of being a bald woman. It sucks in so may ways, but at least I am met with understanding instead of ridicule when I tell someone I wear a hair piece. They understand because it is not normal to be bald as a woman, and in a way bald women are expected to cover it up. I think I would be met with more negativity had I chosen to showcase my baldness in all it's glory. So in that way I am glad I'm not a bald man, because if a bald man chooses to cover up his baldness with a wig, he'll often be ridiculed or shamed.

Baldingat20
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 80
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Propecia

Amount of hair loss related to age

#11428

Post by Baldingat20 » 1 year ago

I think you should start to worry when your hair loss is causing you to become below average and stand out negatively. There are some good looking 20 year olds who can pull of being bald as well as fullheaded 30 year olds that don’t look good at all. I think it’s to personal and depends on a lot of things .

Standing out negatively is a big one. If your hairloss is causing you to be singled out you should treat it. Blending in is a more reasonable goal than being attractive. Most of us can successfully blend in. When you successfully blend in you are seen as normal by girls and other people. I’ve come to realize I’m very average in that I don’t stand out in any way negatively or positively other than being short. It used to bother me cause I wanted to be attractive but now I’m coming to think of it as a blessing. When you blend in the focus becomes on other things like your personality.

User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1341
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1807
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dustasteride 0.5 milligrams daily, Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Amount of hair loss related to age

#13301

Post by rclark » 1 year ago

After visiting a lot of colleges in the past year, and looking at hundreds of scalps in auditoriums (sitting in
the back of course), I have come to following conclusion.

The majority (at least eighty percent) of white males are between Norwood five to six in their late forties/fifties.

This is not to say that Asian and Blacks aren't going bald in that age group, because they definitely are.
However, the sample size only was only ten two twelve percent non whites, so for that reason, the sample
size wasn't good enough for me to make any determinations. That said, the black and Asian men in that age
group were in the same range (between Norwood five and six).

What is interesting is there is around two to five percent are natural full heads. And it appears that only a small
fraction are using any hair treatments at all. (I came to the assumption that any 45-59 year old male that was
a Norwood two at that age was using hair treatments, because the number was very small).

I made the assumption, that the small amount that is Norwood two at that age group, which was less than one
percent, are using treatments. In other words, either they don't care, or they just gave up at that age.

That said, there were five to ten percent of females that were on the Ludwig scale, at a Norwood two to
three at that age group as well.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post