Grey hair and its proven solutions

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
Johnson
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by Johnson » 7 months ago

I started to lose hair at around 21 so to me hair loss didn't corelate to ageing. It made me look older but I never felt old because of it.

Recently I found my first grey hair nestled in the centre of my scalp. I'm in my mid 30s - a perfectly normal time to be showing age - and yet even though I know this, its a stark reminder that i'm no longer a young man.

Its kind of crazy to have spent many years worried about hair loss, to then go to a point of not really caring about it, and now suddenly being reminded that i'm getting old by a little grey hair.

Admin
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, hope.

Post by Admin » 7 months ago

I noticed my first white hair about 6 months ago, it freaked me out a bit, sent me to search if any grey hair cure was in the pipeline.

Then I completely forgot about it, until I saw this topic.

It's still on its own though, even though they're often difficult to notice.

Anyway, whether you leave it be or dye it, greying can't even compare to male pattern baldness when it comes to the impact it has on your looks, especially for a man.
:christian-cross: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

yettee
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 7 months ago

Minoxidil can apparently prevent hair from going grey. I'm pretty sure that I'd have more grey hair if I weren't using it... I see it as a bonus. :D

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 7 months ago

Johnson wrote: 7 months ago I started to lose hair at around 21 so to me hair loss didn't corelate to ageing. It made me look older but I never felt old because of it.

Recently I found my first grey hair nestled in the centre of my scalp. I'm in my mid 30s - a perfectly normal time to be showing age - and yet even though I know this, its a stark reminder that i'm no longer a young man.

Its kind of crazy to have spent many years worried about hair loss, to then go to a point of not really caring about it, and now suddenly being reminded that i'm getting old by a little grey hair.
That's what hair dye is for :D

Guest-2
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Guest-2 » 7 months ago

yettee wrote: 7 months ago Minoxidil can apparently prevent hair from going grey. I'm pretty sure that I'd have more grey hair if I weren't using it... I see it as a bonus. :D
me too, my friend is my colorist and she noticed I don't have many grey hairs at all.
I think it's the minoxidil.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride, RU58841, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 7 months ago

3 months later subject title - "Women love a silver fox- study shows"
6 months later subject title - "Toppik for grey hair?"
1 year obligatory hair transplant title - "Booked in with surgeon x"
Look, fat...

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 7 months ago

Hairblues wrote: 7 months ago me too, my friend is my colorist and she noticed I don't have many grey hairs at all.
I think it's the minoxidil.
For me it doesn't matter when I get grays. It will be covered by my hair piece anyways xD
That said my mom is 55 and has only a few grays. At the end of the day I don't give a fock these days

Char
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: Nothing.

Post by Char » 7 months ago

I call that turning Steve Martin.

Some of my hairs are lighter and I'm scared shitless that I may be turning grey too, but then I remember that my father is almost in his 50s and still has not too many grey hairs, but then again he is also receding like me.

Guest-3
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Guest-3 » 7 months ago

Johnson wrote: 7 months ago I started to lose hair at around 21 so to me hair loss didn't corelate to ageing. It made me look older but I never felt old because of it.

I noticed my first grey hair when I was still in my early twenties. But the process of greying was really slow. Then In my early thirties,I noticed that several hair at the side of my head were grey. I think the process got expedited as I went through an extremely stressful time. It then slowed again. I have noticeably grey hair at the sides now a days. It bothers me but others don't seem to notice until I point it out. Also, whenever my hair is wet, it's not noticeable at all.

My experience is that the pace of greying is not constant. Sometimes it moves at a rapid pace, other times it slows down. At the end, it's still infinitely better than balding.
Trump 2020

Johnson
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

pjhair wrote: 7 months ago I noticed my first grey hair when I was still in my early twenties. But the process of greying was really slow. Then In my early thirties,I noticed that several hair at the side of my head were grey. I think the process got expedited as I went through an extremely stressful time. It then slowed again. I have noticeably grey hair at the sides now a days. It bothers me but others don't seem to notice until I point it out. Also, whenever my hair is wet, it's not noticeable at all.

My experience is that the pace of greying is not constant. Sometimes it moves at a rapid pace, other times it slows down. At the end, it's still infinitely better than balding.
Hair loss hasn't been consistent for me though. I'd lose hair for a few month cycle and then nothing for a year or so.

In fairness, i'd agree with you that going grey is better than thinning hair. I'd imagine nearly every person on the planet would rather be a Clooney over an Agassi.

Added in 3 minutes 24 seconds:
Admin wrote: 7 months ago I noticed my first white hair about 6 months ago, it freaked me out a bit, sent me to search if any grey hair cure was in the pipeline.

Then I completely forgot about it, until I saw this topic.

It's still on its own though, even though they're often difficult to notice.

Anyway, whether you leave it be or dye it, greying can't even compare to male pattern baldness when it comes to the impact it has on your looks, especially for a man.
Is it still just one hair after 6 months?

I've seen people go almost completely grey in a year or two.

When I found mine I did a quick google around. Apparently its like hair loss: it can happen supremely fast or exceptionally slow and its largely genetics lead.

JLBB
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 7 months ago

My dad is late fifties and only recently have his begun to grey. I'd almost consider suggesting dyeing it, even at that point it seems to make a huge difference to visible age. My cousin's husband is late twenties and already fully grey, but with a full head of hair and a juvenile hair line.

Personally, my feeling is that even as a NW2-3 the greying can make someone appear significantly older and its very much worth dyeing it. However if you're a Clooneyesque silver fox or like the guy I mentioned with a full head of hair, it virtually makes no difference at all to perceived age or aesthetics. Even for a guy under 30, as long as they're a fullhead its leaning more towards something girls would notice and find attractive or interesting than a negative.

Johnson
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

JLBB wrote: 7 months ago My dad is late fifties and only recently have his begun to grey. I'd almost consider suggesting dyeing it, even at that point it seems to make a huge difference to visible age. My cousin's husband is late twenties and already fully grey, but with a full head of hair and a juvenile hair line.

Personally, my feeling is that even as a NW2-3 the greying can make someone appear significantly older and its very much worth dyeing it. However if you're a Clooneyesque silver fox or like the guy I mentioned with a full head of hair, it virtually makes no difference at all to perceived age or aesthetics. Even for a guy under 30, as long as they're a fullhead its leaning more towards something girls would notice and find attractive or interesting than a negative.
You're late 30's aren't you?

I'm mid 30s and willing to let it just go grey. Hopefully it takes years for it to even be noticeable though.

The beard going grey would be the strangest thing but I don't want to be one of those men who dye it.

JLBB
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Johnson wrote: 7 months ago You're late 30's aren't you?

I'm mid 30s and willing to let it just go grey. Hopefully it takes years for it to even be noticeable though.

The beard going grey would be the strangest thing but I don't want to be one of those men who dye it.
Im 25 LOL. Hopefully as in my dads case I have another thirty years before it greys but I'd probably not bother dyeing if it did, as someone with a NW1 after two transplants.

Interesting about the beard, my dads went grey maybe five years before the hair started and he started shaving it every day to avoid it showing.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Norwood: NW3.5
Regimen: Alcohol coping mechanism

Post by blackg » 7 months ago

JLBB wrote: 7 months ago Im 25 LOL. Hopefully as in my dads case I have another thirty years before it greys but I'd probably not bother dyeing if it did, as someone with a NW1 after two transplants.
You just used this opportunity to laud your NW1 over us in a display of narcissism.
You're now on ignore!
Me and my friends are like, double-whiskey-coke-no-ice.

JLBB
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

blackg wrote: 7 months ago You just used this opportunity to laud your NW1 over us in a display of narcissism.
You're now on ignore!
Certainly if you took the line out of context it looks grim. However it was clearly in reference to the previous post in which I suggested that if you have a full head of hair, then greying has a limited effect on aesthetics, and therefore I probably wouldn't dye it. If I was a NW3 and greying, I probably would.