Am I suffering from hair loss?

Discuss how hair loss has affected you, someone you know, or a public figure.
Gidle
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: Nothing

Am I suffering from hair loss?

Post by Gidle » 2 weeks ago

Hi. I’m a 16 year old male.

Ethnicity: Cuban Persian Mixed

Both my parents and everyone on my families side has full heads of hair except my uncle who lost his hair due to super nervous except it wasn’t as bad as me.

Occasional to Moderate to High Stress. Varies on the situation I’m in. I just had a recent stressful event. Long story short I was bullied and got told a bunch of stuff and got a bit sad. I’ve moved on since then and am better. As for my hair I do not have a itchy scalp. The volume of my hair has stayed relatively the same more or less.

I went to the doctors today for some lab tests. Got tested for Anemia, Thyroid etc and I have just noticed my hair being thinner. Its still relatively the same but even the littlest cam change badly. Over the past couple of days it has barely changed. I lost anywhere from 50-10 hairs a day but honestly I don’t keep good track maybe I’m losing more.

I am not too sure exactly what I got tested on but my doctor just said I’ll do “all of it” so many various tests they took almost 4 tubes of my blood. Keep in mind I’m still trying to learn all this so be patient with me. This is all the information I have. I’ve attached pictures. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Ask me any questions you need.
Attachments
ED7C519A-835D-4526-9868-F5A735DEA828.jpeg
ED7C519A-835D-4526-9868-F5A735DEA828.jpeg (79.73 KiB) Viewed 454 times
31514BB3-C795-4A98-B032-06CAD4737B86.jpeg
31514BB3-C795-4A98-B032-06CAD4737B86.jpeg (270.83 KiB) Viewed 454 times
B2954D98-F818-4E34-94BC-5209F0B7EA81.jpeg
B2954D98-F818-4E34-94BC-5209F0B7EA81.jpeg (232.42 KiB) Viewed 454 times
FE478B42-959D-49E6-A4E5-70DDB1342B19.jpeg
FE478B42-959D-49E6-A4E5-70DDB1342B19.jpeg (273.33 KiB) Viewed 454 times
EF9855F2-42D0-439A-90FB-599EDF97DEB3.jpeg
EF9855F2-42D0-439A-90FB-599EDF97DEB3.jpeg (235 KiB) Viewed 454 times
ECD33527-896C-4C12-9DA0-083E6B9D4766.jpeg
ECD33527-896C-4C12-9DA0-083E6B9D4766.jpeg (271.92 KiB) Viewed 454 times
A0279E63-047B-4E0D-923C-3E9D092000C7.jpeg
A0279E63-047B-4E0D-923C-3E9D092000C7.jpeg (889.99 KiB) Viewed 454 times
22002063-67C6-4453-8647-DEA72923EA54.jpeg
22002063-67C6-4453-8647-DEA72923EA54.jpeg (307.69 KiB) Viewed 454 times

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Am I suffering from hair loss?

Post by EvilLocks » 2 weeks ago

Gidle wrote:
2 weeks ago
Hi. I’m a 16 year old male.
Ethnicity: Cuban Persian Mixed
Both my parents and everyone on my families side has full heads of hair except my uncle who lost his hair due to super nervous except it wasn’t as bad as me.
Occasional to Moderate to High Stress. Varies on the situation I’m in. I just had a recent stressful event. Long story short I was bullied and got told a bunch of stuff and got a bit sad. I’ve moved on since then and am better. As for my hair I do not have a itchy scalp. The volume of my hair has stayed relatively the same more or less. I went to the doctors today for some lab tests. Got tested for Anemia, Thyroid etc and I have just noticed my hair being thinner. Its still relatively the same but even the littlest cam change badly. Over the past couple of days it has barely changed. I lost anywhere from 50-10 hairs a day but honestly I don’t keep good track maybe I’m losing more. I am not too sure exactly what I got tested on but my doctor just said I’ll do “all of it” so many various tests they took almost 4 tubes of my blood. Keep in mind I’m still trying to learn all this so be patient with me. This is all the information I have. I’ve attached pictures. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Ask me any questions you need.
Interesting. Your hair looks like it's thinning, it could be shedding but if you only lose 50-100 (I figured 10 was a typo) hairs a day that shouldn't really be an issue either as it's completely normal to lose that amount of hair each day without hair thinning.
What I'm interested to know is what your hair looked like before you noticed thinning. Are you saying your hair always looked like this or have you noticed a gradual thinning over time?
The scalp itching/pain is a bad sign to be honest, I am a female suffering from androgenic alopecia and/or thyroid related hair loss, and my hair looked a lot like this before it progressed to more advanced thinning.
What I would suggest for you is having a scalp biopsy made my a dermatologist, and having the dermatologist look at your hair up close. They should look for miniaturized hair follicles which is a classic sign of androgenic alopecia. If you don't have any, you're probably good.
You mention anemia and thyroid, those can definitely be a cause of hair loss so it's great that you've had blood tests to check it out. Hopefully it's some kind of deficiency that can be fixed.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 2 weeks ago

As I've told you on the Discord chat, and I could be wrong, but to me it looks like the beginning of female pattern baldness, and that can happen in males, yes. I'm surprised that @EvilLocks didn't mention it.

I know how scary this will sound but if that's the case, the progression will look something like this:

Now I'm no doctor and maybe it's some kind of telogen effluvium (temporary hair loss) that looks especially pronounced on your middle-part, but if it doesn't get better or God forbid get worse, I wouldn't spend too much time in denial if I were you.

So if it turns out to be genetic hair loss, you should jump on finasteride if you can afford to, meaning you don't get side-effects, and use minoxidil as well as Nizoral. The basic proven treatments for androgenetic alopecia.

After that, you should save some serious cash to get a hair transplant down the line. Of course you could just shave your head but I've never been an advocate of acceptance, especially because you've already started looking for help.

Another useful advice (we're giving you right now on the Discord chat :p) is that I'm afraid you will not be able to pull off such long hair from now on (again, assuming it's indeed genetic hair loss), maybe it would be too early for a buzz cut but you should at least not let it grow longer than 3-4cm (or 1-1.5 inches).

Good luck with your hair loss struggle, no matter what you do, don't ever fall into the trap of feeling that you're doomed and it's all hopeless. It's certainly not true anymore in this day and age. You have medication, FUE hair transplants, concealers and potential new treatments coming out in the next few years.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Admin wrote:
2 weeks ago
maybe it would be too early for a buzz cut but you should at least not let it grow longer than 3-4cm (or 1-1.5 inches).
I think a buzz cut looks hot on men, it would solve his hair loss problem for the time being since he has fairly good coverage still. A buzz cut would conceal his hair loss nicely, maybe with a fade on the sides to emphasize the top.
I have spoken to my girlfriends about this and we all agree that a buzz cut is hot on guys. Of course it will not look hot anymore once you progress to a more advanced Norwood, but a guy can actually survive a long time with a buzz cut, maybe accompanied by some SMP down the line.
I agree with your advice here, do not surrender without a fight and try to get to the bottom of the cause first.
Once you have established what kind of hair loss you're dealing with, you can try the appropriate treatment(s).
If it's genetic hair loss, jump on The big 3 ASAP if possible, and take it from there. Down the line a hair transplant could be beneficial, like @Admin said.

pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by pjhair » 2 weeks ago

EvilLocks wrote:
2 weeks ago
I have spoken to my girlfriends about this and we all agree that a buzz cut is hot on guys.
That's interesting to hear. Doesn't that depend on face though? Some faces may look better with a buzz cut than others. I have always felt that long hair suits my face better.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

pjhair wrote:
2 weeks ago
That's interesting to hear. Doesn't that depend on face though? Some faces may look better with a buzz cut than others. I have always felt that long hair suits my face better.
Yeah probably, as with most other things you have to find what suits you the best and what you are most comfortable with. But some of the hottest men I've seen, have had buzz cuts. It's just something about it that screams masculine to me. Plus it feels really nice to rub your hands over 8-)
As for the early stages of hair loss though, a buzz cut is great for concealing the hair loss. Rule of thumb with thinning hair is that the longer the hair, the thinner it looks.
I suppose if you have Disney prince hair anything looks good, but us poor suckers have to work with what we have lol. I remember I had to cut my long hair much shorter while I was concealing, because the long hair looked so awful. Now that I have a hair piece I can choose the length I want though.

Gidle
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

EvilLocks wrote:
2 weeks ago
Interesting. Your hair looks like it's thinning, it could be shedding but if you only lose 50-100 (I figured 10 was a typo) hairs a day that shouldn't really be an issue either as it's completely normal to lose that amount of hair each day without hair thinning.
What I'm interested to know is what your hair looked like before you noticed thinning. Are you saying your hair always looked like this or have you noticed a gradual thinning over time?
The scalp itching/pain is a bad sign to be honest, I am a female suffering from androgenic alopecia and/or thyroid related hair loss, and my hair looked a lot like this before it progressed to more advanced thinning.
What I would suggest for you is having a scalp biopsy made my a dermatologist, and having the dermatologist look at your hair up close. They should look for miniaturized hair follicles which is a classic sign of androgenic alopecia. If you don't have any, you're probably good.
You mention anemia and thyroid, those can definitely be a cause of hair loss so it's great that you've had blood tests to check it out. Hopefully it's some kind of deficiency that can be fixed.
When I had shorter hair it used to be super thick.( I don’t have itching pain) but I did have a stressful experience recently which makes me feel like it’s telogen Effulvium. What I’m really hoping is that it’s not MBP or FBP.. I’m waiting for the results and even then I’ve only noticed me losing hair when washing or the occasional shedding. I’m very concerned I’ve had longer hair than this before and I honestly can’t remember if it was similar. I don’t know if the way they cut my hair is the reason it’s parting like this. Or if it’s actually me balding. It’s has stayed relatively the same this past month but I know some hair loss can be very slow stagnated. The volume of my hair is about the same especially after washing it’s very weird.. I’ve talked with lots of other people and they say either I am balding, unsure or I’m perfectly fine and I’m just overreacting. What’s even more strange is that my parents don’t have any balding and no one older does and no relatives etc. My hair is pretty similar to a girls hair.. but even I see some girls with stuff like this but not as bad. It was almost 8 whole months of constant stress at school, stressing for grades my future and it was just a really bad time for me. I’m feeling better now. What’s also weird is I have a somewhat healthy diet. I don’t eat super many sweets, my diet is mostly beans rice meat vegetables fruit the occasional pasta and I never have soda almost never. I’m a bit overweight I weight 209 but I’m 5’11 almost 5’12 . should I be worried? Here’s another photo I just took after a shower. Didn’t wash my head very well though.. so I don't know I’ve been pretty sad by this to be honest. I love my hair so this is just sad. I’ve never done any hair styles In my life. I’ve just let my hair be for the last 16 years.
Attachments
E09729FF-4C29-41C9-9D79-FCCBC46AA939.jpeg
E09729FF-4C29-41C9-9D79-FCCBC46AA939.jpeg (366.01 KiB) Viewed 370 times
3B4EFF60-B340-44CA-9D18-591357199812.jpeg
3B4EFF60-B340-44CA-9D18-591357199812.jpeg (327.46 KiB) Viewed 370 times

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Gidle wrote:
2 weeks ago
talked with lots of other people and they say either I am balding, unsure or I’m perfectly fine and I’m just overreacting.
Typical. Either people will be in your face like ''YOU KNOW YOU'RE GOING BAAALD, RIGHT?!" or they'll be like "WTF are you talking about, your hair is FINE!"
I know, I've been there. Most of the time people told me I was imagining things though. What people really should tell you is that they understand you
are concerned, and that you should take the appropriate steps to get to the root of the problem. From what I've read you are already taking steps to figure this out, which is good.
As for stress, poor diet etc. they could be linked to Telogen Effluvium hair loss, but it doesn't mean jack shit when it comes to Androgenic alopecia. You could literally weigh 600 lbs and smoke 3 packs of cigars a day and still have a Norwood 1 if your genetics are right. I have seen health gurus with Norwood 6's and obese slobs with Norwood 1's. So your lifestyle is NOT making you go bald if you are suffering from genetic hair loss, never worry about that, although of course living a healthy lifestyle is the best for your overall health and well-being.
I hope your blood tests will reveal something, if you have no deficiencies you should get a biopsy. It may well be likely that this is temporary especially since you are so young and have no familiar hair loss. Those factors are in your favor but of course nothing is impossible when it comes to androgenetic alopecia unfortunately. Good luck with everything and keep us posted :)

pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by pjhair » 2 weeks ago

EvilLocks wrote:
2 weeks ago
I suppose if you have Disney prince hair anything looks good
I did until I destroyed it by making terrible choices :worried: :worried:

Gidle
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Thanks for all the help guys. It means a lot honestly. I also have my hair line if that will help find anything? I usually have bangs so I completely forgot I had a hair line. Any other ideas? I had shorter hair while I was younger but for the past 4 years I’ve had some what longer hair

Added in 39 minutes 34 seconds:
EvilLocks wrote:
2 weeks ago
Typical. Either people will be in your face like ''YOU KNOW YOU'RE GOING BAAALD, RIGHT?!" or they'll be like "WTF are you talking about, your hair is FINE!"
I know, I've been there. Most of the time people told me I was imagining things though. What people really should tell you is that they understand you
are concerned, and that you should take the appropriate steps to get to the root of the problem. From what I've read you are already taking steps to figure this out, which is good.
As for stress, poor diet etc. they could be linked to Telogen Effluvium hair loss, but it doesn't mean jack shit when it comes to Androgenic alopecia. You could literally weigh 600 lbs and smoke 3 packs of cigars a day and still have a Norwood 1 if your genetics are right. I have seen health gurus with Norwood 6's and obese slobs with Norwood 1's. So your lifestyle is NOT making you go bald if you are suffering from genetic hair loss, never worry about that, although of course living a healthy lifestyle is the best for your overall health and well-being.
I hope your blood tests will reveal something, if you have no deficiencies you should get a biopsy. It may well be likely that this is temporary especially since you are so young and have no familiar hair loss. Those factors are in your favor but of course nothing is impossible when it comes to androgenetic alopecia unfortunately. Good luck with everything and keep us posted :)
What are defiencys exactly I did some research?
And it might be Vitamin D defiency? I rarely go out so do you think that had a effect?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (271.54 KiB) Viewed 356 times
4DE7A8F7-C126-404B-8994-F6EE67E51211.jpeg
4DE7A8F7-C126-404B-8994-F6EE67E51211.jpeg (274.95 KiB) Viewed 356 times
7D644E79-2C9F-435A-A058-ED36CFB4253C.jpeg
7D644E79-2C9F-435A-A058-ED36CFB4253C.jpeg (308.62 KiB) Viewed 356 times

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 2 weeks ago

Hi mate:

You've come to the right place regarding information about hair loss because the core members of this site have been through the ringer many times with all this stuff.
They know what they are talking about.

Hope all goes well for ya.
Let's pay the slaves

Gidle
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by Gidle » 1 week ago

An Update:
My lab results came back perfect.. My Cholesterol was a bit higher than last time but besides that its fine.which was 6 months ago. My mother "says"
The doctor said that to stop hair loss just be healthy, cut your hair shorter and stop stressing. But i don't buy it my mom has been known to lie. THE STRANGE THING IS i didnt get a diagnosis or anything. They didn't say it was telogen effluvium or anything.

I've been keeping an eye on my hair and its staying the same. if anything my shedding has been lowering that i can barely notice a hair in the day. maybe 1 - 4 when last week i would notice like 10 a day. My hair line is supposedly "perfect" but I don't buy that either it looks like its receding a bit but im not sure I might be wrong I'll post a pic in a bit. My scalp is staying the same. Hell I can barely notice anything. My Mom says i'm fine and it looks like its growing back but once again it looks like she might be lying. She didn't even want to take me to the doctor the first time cause she knew i was overreacting but you don't lose that much hair just like that right? I know I was stressed out for about 8 months and had several triggers but damn. I'm way out of the denial stage I'm more in the mad stage at the moment. Any ideas? Maybe I'm all wrong? but I have no idea.

Thanks for the help everyone. sorry for my bad english lol

Added in 2 minutes 15 seconds:
I just don't get it I mean heck my parents aren't going bald so I don't know There both nearly 50.. I'm so worried right now

Added in 2 hours 9 minutes 10 seconds:
Feel free to compare last weeks and this weeks.
Better to see on mobile devices

Added in 39 seconds:
Unwashed hair by the way
Attachments
D01AB804-BAF8-4F0B-A3AE-29BEB71008C1.jpeg
D01AB804-BAF8-4F0B-A3AE-29BEB71008C1.jpeg (216.31 KiB) Viewed 148 times
AEC971C3-FB2E-48C0-8B36-C1C5EF8ACCCB.jpeg
AEC971C3-FB2E-48C0-8B36-C1C5EF8ACCCB.jpeg (218.51 KiB) Viewed 148 times
63B32AB8-DF2B-4524-8E8D-47E8F059986F.jpeg
63B32AB8-DF2B-4524-8E8D-47E8F059986F.jpeg (110.2 KiB) Viewed 148 times
3F0DAE44-3CD7-414B-BF27-CFE55B9CE538.png
3F0DAE44-3CD7-414B-BF27-CFE55B9CE538.png (522.43 KiB) Viewed 148 times
04C472A0-8A6C-42D5-8EDA-C39201A9BA77.jpeg
04C472A0-8A6C-42D5-8EDA-C39201A9BA77.jpeg (175.92 KiB) Viewed 148 times
32F5E584-06ED-4A2E-BFD5-A70738543AAF.jpeg
32F5E584-06ED-4A2E-BFD5-A70738543AAF.jpeg (306.14 KiB) Viewed 148 times
A7AF079A-BD4E-4A64-98ED-8C308DF83243.jpeg
A7AF079A-BD4E-4A64-98ED-8C308DF83243.jpeg (260.12 KiB) Viewed 148 times
CD455B9A-4FC7-421F-935A-7F01DC85FAA7.png
CD455B9A-4FC7-421F-935A-7F01DC85FAA7.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 148 times
0F78083A-3C54-47C6-A542-6F8400A69CE3.jpeg
0F78083A-3C54-47C6-A542-6F8400A69CE3.jpeg (289.63 KiB) Viewed 148 times

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 1 week ago

This is very depressing, and I hate to write this. "In theory", it is possible to go bald after puberty
from androgen alopecia. It is very rare in the teenage years though. That said, hair density does
vary with race and ethnicity. Some people are born with thicker follicles and less density.

Gidle
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by Gidle » 1 week ago

rclark wrote:
1 week ago
This is very depressing, and I hate to write this. "In theory", it is possible to go bald after puberty
from androgen alopecia. It is very rare in the teenage years though. That said, hair density does
vary with race and ethnicity. Some people are born with thicker follicles and less density.
I Apparently have fine hair? I don't know man..
I also have a problem with not drinking enough water.. of course after i found this out ive been trying to drink as much as possible but i keep forgetting

Added in 9 minutes 37 seconds:
I was stressed for nearly 8 months straight.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 1 week ago

In my opinion, your follicles are thick, and all hair around the different sides of your head
are the same thickness, so I do not think you are suffering from androgen alopecia hair loss (at least not at
this time).

The link just shows the average. I work with people who are Indian, and there
is a huge density difference between them, in the one hundred thousand range. This sounds
like a cliche, but it really does vary a lot within races as well. Some just have more than thirty
percent follicles than others.

https://theidleman.com/blogs/grooming/r ... hair-types