Is my friend suffering from hair loss?

Discuss how hair loss has affected you, someone you know, or a public figure.
JLBB
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Is my friend suffering from hair loss?

Post by JLBB » 9 months ago

Spent a few weeks with a friend interstate and noticed his hair seemed to be thinned at the crown and partline. Not 100% if its just my bias for wanting this guy to go bald (seeing as he constantly denied in my case that it was a problem) or if he genuinely is. What do you guys think?
Attachments
IMG_2716-09-08-18-11-27.jpeg
IMG_2716-09-08-18-11-27.jpeg (197.49 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
IMG_2715-09-08-18-11-27.jpeg
IMG_2715-09-08-18-11-27.jpeg (245.13 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
IMG_2714-09-08-18-11-27.jpeg
IMG_2714-09-08-18-11-27.jpeg (249.42 KiB) Viewed 1120 times

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Re: Is my friend suffering from hair loss?

Post by Admin » 9 months ago

The first picture is quite worrying. It looks like the Ludwig pattern:

Although rare, some men can also be affected by this female type of balding.

JLBB
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Admin wrote:
9 months ago
The first picture is quite worrying. It looks like the Ludwig pattern:

Although rare, some men can also be affected by this female type of balding.
I agree, I tended to think the same thing but he said it had always been like that. He's the type who has had hair below his shoulders and a man bun since he was 16, so unsurprisingly he got pretty uptight about it despite having said to me numerous times in my case that no one cared about hair loss.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » 9 months ago

Fuck him. Its his problem. Let him deal with it.

JLBB
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

supremegentleman wrote:
9 months ago
Fuck him. Its his problem. Let him deal with it.
I'd rather my best friend not turn into an ugly, bald fucking loser that I can't go out in public with to be honest. If it gets much worse I'll make him get on finasteride.

Murkey Thumb
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW4

Post by Murkey Thumb » 9 months ago

That is diffuse thinning! He is probably in the denial stage, 5 years he will be bald unless of course he does something about it.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » 9 months ago

JeanLucBB wrote:
9 months ago
I'd rather my best friend not turn into an ugly, bald fucking loser that I can't go out in public with to be honest. If it gets much worse I'll make him get on finasteride.
He is your competitor. He didn't have a problem letting you go bald so why would you care about him? Let him get bald and figure out things for himself.

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » 9 months ago

JeanLucBB wrote:
9 months ago
haha xD

Just don't let him google search finasteride. He will not take it.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

supremegentleman wrote:
9 months ago
He is your competitor. He didn't have a problem letting you go bald so why would you care about him? Let him get bald and figure out things for himself.
He's probably not going to have any other choice. My best friend used to think that hair loss was no big deal, but after seeing me go completely bald and then back to something approximating a normal head of hair again, his opinion has changed, and as a NW2.5, he's already weighing his options, like a hair transplant in Turkey in the future if necessary.

Usually, people have to hit a wall themselves to change their mind about something. @JeanLucBB's friend will probably have to go down that path before he can be reasoned with. I've stopped trying to convince people of anything, I usually just say what I think as precisely as possible, push the debate as far as I can and then leave it at that.

Usually people come around after a few weeks or months and their opinions about the subject seems to shift, even though very slightly, and to me that's a victory. I don't think there's an alternative to that. If you come at him full force and tell him he's going to be a bald loser and women are going to reject him, he'll put up his defenses and say: "Brah confidence! Real men don't care! I'll hit the gym and get a tan, you'll see!"

JLBB
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

supremegentleman wrote:
9 months ago
For close friends I feel there has to be a reasonable balance of power dynamics, look, intelligence etc. He's attractive and very appealing with a full head of hair but only slightly taller than the average woman, if he went full NW3 I don't think I could respect him and nor would others. Same if I had gone bald, appearances matter and hanging out with bald guys isn't a good look. It would ruin our friendship.

I'm happy for him to lose just enough hair that he knows what it is like and accepts what a problem it is, but I don't want him to go beyond NW2 or have diffusing to the point it is blatantly obvious he is balding. Considering his height and the fact he's had shoulder length hair since high school it shouldn't take too long for him to come around.

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » 9 months ago

JeanLucBB wrote:
9 months ago
For close friends I feel there has to be a reasonable balance of power dynamics, look, intelligence etc. He's attractive and very appealing with a full head of hair but only slightly taller than the average woman, if he went full NW3 I don't think I could respect him and nor would others. Same if I had gone bald, appearances matter and hanging out with bald guys isn't a good look. It would ruin our friendship.

I'm happy for him to lose just enough hair that he knows what it is like and accepts what a problem it is, but I don't want him to go beyond NW2 or have diffusing to the point it is blatantly obvious he is balding. Considering his height and the fact he's had shoulder length hair since high school it shouldn't take too long for him to come around.
Dude, you sound very fucked up. How could you not respect a friend if he is balding? I don't care 0 about how friends look. It's not my cup of tea. The only thing I would say to a friend is if he is smelling like shit or he has dirty clothes etc. Simple things. While its good to help a friend and tell him to go on finasteride (I wish someone told me that) but not respecting and "appearances matter" lol...

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 9 months ago

Firstly you decitfully post your friends hair loss without his permission on a public forum, then you tell us you want him to lose his hair as he didn't take your hair loss seriously, then later on your say you don't want him to go bald as it will embarrass you to be seen with him in public (poor you!)

Then you tell us you won't be able to respect him as a bald man.

You need an intervention.
marry me, Kaitlin

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 9 months ago

I'm in the "let him burn" camp. Create a plan of how to influence him on a cycle of snake oil treatments that definitely work for everyone, but they take 6-18 months to kick in.

Start off with maybe argan oil and a year in tell him to incorporate monthly scalp massages and then his 12 months of work will spring to follicle life. Then caffeine shampoo some time after that to buy some more time, then an oily seafood diet will definitely do the trick. It works for everyone. Tell him you never actually had a hair transplant you just started daily cod and sardines and woosh- hair city.

Of course when he's sceptical keep reassuring him it's only because of his stress levels and wanking too much and/or thinking of females in any form, even non-sexually.

Over the years this should bring him down to serious diffuse NW6 and combing his little island of 8 hairs on the fringe.

Motherfucker let you go bald.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 9 months ago

Just in case anyone is absolutely retarded, that post above is actually completely facetious.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rudiger wrote:
9 months ago
Just in case anyone is absolutely retarded, that post above is actually completely facetious.
I used to have evil thoughts like those. I'll surely see a lot of my peers go through hair loss in the future, for a while, the idea was to tell them that "it's just hair, just shave it off and be done with it brah, I'd do the same if it ever happened to me, that's what real men do!"

But nah, that would really be not helping a person in danger. When people talk to me about hair loss, I tell the whole truth, and it's usually followed by them telling me: "It can't be that bad! I don't think I would react like that, I'm pretty sure I'd just shave it all off and move on with my life!"

Always frustrating to hear. So yeah, if that's their attitude when you try to have a serious talk about it, I say let them burn. Don't cast pearls before swine.