The problem with hair pieces being pushed as a viable hair loss solution

Discuss how hair loss has affected you, someone you know, or a public figure.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.

The problem with hair pieces being pushed as a viable hair loss solution

Post by Admin » 1 year ago

So here's a story that's quite common on hair loss forums. Newbies who haven't given this idea much thought and think they have their hair loss long-term plan all figured out of desperation and ignorance drop this:

"If I ever go bald, I'll just get a hair piece, problem solved."

Now as you know, I've come at this from every angle possible, proving over and over again that it is no viable solution to hair loss: you can't go out in the sun with it (your hair turns into a different color than the hair piece), you can't swim with it (damage from chloride or salt water), you can't do sports, you can't travel, you can't go camping, it makes you overly paranoid at all times, it's insanely expensive in the long term and you still don't get one single hair back, etc. etc.

Basically you trade off your whole life for the appearance of hair. Now people have come after me for this, saying I didn't know what I was talking about, that some people make it work, fair enough, after all my dad is one of those people who made it work, and as I've been able to observe for the last 34 years (and more than 50000€ later for him), he has indeed traded his life for hair.

Every now and then on hair loss forum, you'll have a minority of members get hyped about hair pieces, that's it! they've found their holy grail, and they'll congratulate a member who tries it, and that member will scream on every rooftop, it's solved! Thank you guys! Everyone likes each other's posts. This is what has happened with HairlossTalk's member disfiguredyoungman:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... st-1711454

And this is where the newbies get hurt, and this is where I would normally intervene and tell this poor kid that he's kidding himself, and get flamed for it, but I've done it several times in the past and completely accepted the harsh negative critics (sometimes on my person, the state of my hair, how I wanted to hurt people, etc.). Wolf Pack was also more than happy to congratulate him because knows it's supposed to be evidence against my looney theories about how hair pieces are not a viable solution to hair loss.

Fast-forward three months later, the guy is still there complaining about his hair loss, and the hair piece nowhere to be found:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... st-1739416

Come on man, you were supposed to have found the holy grail, the problem was solved, "holy shit, I can't tell" the deluded members would tell you. Yet now that it has obviously failed and you realized that this was no solution, you don't come back to warn us, and you don't give a shit that newbies could stumble on your hair piece post above with all the congratulatory replies and think that they've found their solutions.

That's why I used to nip those "just get a hair piece, problem solved!" posts in the bud. They're irresponsible, and if there's one thing that's quite harmful in this world, it's false hope.
"Along the way some boys started making fun of him by shouting, “Go away, baldy! Get out of here!” Elisha turned around and stared at the boys. Then he cursed them in the name of the Lord. At once two bears ran out of the woods and ripped to pieces 42 of the boys." - 2 Kings 23-24

Char
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shave, wiggy or hatty.

Re: The problem with hair pieces being pushed as a viable hair loss solution

Post by Char » 1 year ago

It's all due to it being a complicated process, even on video it looks weird as fuck.
You have to spray the shit, reattach the shit and spend hours to make it look natural.
The worst part is that you loose your remaining hair beneath due to traction alopecia (glues and shit do that). And when you decide to drop it, your scalp may even look different color than your sides and the back.
That being said, it's a last resort kind of option.
Maintenance and the price is a dealbreaker.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.

Char wrote:
1 year ago
That being said, it's a last resort kind of option.
It is, even after (failed) hair transplants in my opinion.

It's really for people who would look way sillier, older and uglier without hair and just couldn't take it psychologically. Someone like Adrien Brody or let's say David Schwimmer:

And even then, if you go down that road, you have to understand all the sacrifices you'll have to make, what is the best way to deal with other people's judgement. In my opinion, you should be open about it, that will already alleviate a lot of the paranoia. If people around you have the slightest feeling that you're trying to trick them, they're going to come after you.

And no, you wouldn't be laugh into oblivion if you told people you are wearing a hair piece. Just like I told my coworkers I've had two hair transplants like a year ago and the apocalypse has not happened, I've only gotten compliments for it. Now maybe it's different since it's your own hair growing but still, you should tell the truth when it's possible.

Anyway, wearing a hair piece is no joke, it's not putting on a hat in the morning, and the maintenance is not like brushing your teeth.
"Along the way some boys started making fun of him by shouting, “Go away, baldy! Get out of here!” Elisha turned around and stared at the boys. Then he cursed them in the name of the Lord. At once two bears ran out of the woods and ripped to pieces 42 of the boys." - 2 Kings 23-24

Wire
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: Overeat

Post by Wire » 1 year ago

Admin wrote:
1 year ago

David Schwimmer has a hair piece?

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by That Guy » 1 year ago

Is a hair piece a good solution?

No

Will it assuage your fears and social insecurities?

No

Is it affordable, long-term?

No

Would I still subject myself to the pain, at least for a little while, if it came down to it?

You know it

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

CaptainForehead wrote:
1 year ago
David Schwimmer has a hair piece?
No, I gave him as an example of a guy whose looks would totally be destroyed if he were to go bald. The kind of guy who would absolutely need a hair piece.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dustasteride 0.5 milligrams daily, Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 1 year ago

This musician is Joe Lynn Turner:
joe_lynn_turner.jpg
joe_lynn_turner.jpg (20.92 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
He wears a wig. Although he is considered a great singer, because he is, he also isn't
able to move around on stage.
Think happy thoughts.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

rclark wrote:
1 year ago
This musician is Joe Lynn Turner: joe_lynn_turner.jpg

He wears a wig. Although he is considered a great singer, because he is, he also isn't
able to move around on stage.
Joe lynn turner is a fuckin' badass.

His work with Sunstorm is great and he does awesome covers. Back in Black and Fortunate Son are among the best.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: Dustasteride 0.5 milligrams daily, Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).

That Guy wrote:
1 year ago
Joe lynn turner is a fuckin' badass.

His work with Sunstorm is great and he does awesome covers. Back in Black and Fortunate Son are among the best.
He's musically talented, no question about that.

I saw him with Yngwie malmsteen, back in the late eighties.

Malmsteen, who was drunk, and overweight at the time was jumping around stage. Turner, was doing a great
job singing, but he wasn't moving around at all.

Turner was the only vocalist who ever was allowed to write with Malmsteen. Malmsteen
has worked with at least fifteen different vocalists over his entire career.

On a separate note, one thing I never understood about disfiguredyoungman.

Am I wrong, or he hasn't posted any pictures of his scalp? I understand
why people would want to remain anonymous, but not why they won't
show scalp pictures.
Think happy thoughts.

Baldingat20
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Propecia

Post by Baldingat20 » 1 year ago

I used to think I would try it when I’m bald but I don't know. I’d almost rather just be ugly. There’s a certain peace of mind that comes with being ugly , and personally I’d rather be depressed than anxious. I can’t imagine the fear of wearing the hair piece and trying to trick dates . At least if someone dated you when your bald you know they actually like you.

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » 1 year ago

rclark wrote:
1 year ago
On a separate note, one thing I never understood about disfiguredyoungman.

show scalp pictures.
I dont even think he has bad hair loss. My little experience on hairlosstalk is, the more fucked up a guys nickname is, the higher the chance his hair loss is just an excuss to hide deeply psychological problems. There were a lot of people with names like:

"itsover"
"plskillme"
"Ihavenofuture"

And they posted their pictures on the main Forum and they all had Norwood 1-1.5 with no thinning lol. Could be "disfiguredyoungman" (what a fucked up Name) does have a bad case of hairloss but I doubt it to be honest.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

rclark wrote:
1 year ago
I saw him with Yngwie malmsteen, back in the late eighties.

Malmsteen, who was drunk, and overweight at the time was jumping around stage.
I have bad news.

Yngwie is still drunk, overweight, and a general douche.

Char
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shave, wiggy or hatty.

Post by Char » 1 year ago

rclark wrote:
1 year ago
show scalp pictures.
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... 46/page-93

Here you go, the photos of disfiguredyoungman's hair loss. Looks like a diffuse case.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

JasonStatham wrote:
1 year ago
I dont even think he has bad hair loss. My little experience on hairlosstalk is, the more fucked up a guys nickname is, the higher the chance his hair loss is just an excuss to hide deeply psychological problems. There were a lot of people with names like:

"itsover"
"plskillme"
"Ihavenofuture"

And they posted their pictures on the main Forum and they all had Norwood 1-1.5 with no thinning lol. Could be "disfiguredyoungman" (what a fucked up Name) does have a bad case of hairloss but I doubt it to be honest.
He hardly does. Char just showed me a link with his recent picture. Not even sure if this qualifies as a Norwood two.

My hair loss is far more advanced than that. Wow.
Think happy thoughts.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

rclark wrote:
1 year ago
He hardly does. Char just showed me a link with his recent picture. Not even sure if this qualifies as a Norwood two.

My hair loss is far more advanced than that. Wow.
This one is tricky because you can totally make yourself look like an über-NW5 just by shaving your head. You'd be surprised about how that could look grown out.

This is what causes so many people to think they see thinning in the donor when they shave their heads. Thinning in the donor is extremely rare, I've been told that when I posted my pictures, even hair transplant surgeons believed it.

The can also be true unfortunately so I don't want to be unfair to disfiguredyoungman, I used to have people tell me that I should just grow my hair out when I had like 500 hairs left on my NW5 area, but they thought they saw hair of course. Rage-inducing to say the least.

What I'm mad about here is the hair piece episode that has sunk into oblivion and him not warning other people that his experience with wearing has been a failure. Same for the bozos like Wolf Pack who congratulated him while they've all read my posts but wouldn't believe me of course.

If still in doubt, read shookwun's legendary account on him going down the hair piece route and explaining in detail why it was a major fail:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... wig.98327/

Love the first couple of replies :D :

fred-was-right.jpg
fred-was-right.jpg (43.95 KiB) Viewed 2284 times