The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Discuss how hair loss has affected you, someone you know, or a public figure.
Baldingat20
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Propecia

Re: The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Post by Baldingat20 » 4 months ago

supremegentleman wrote:
4 months ago
Hello @Baldingat20. Welcome to the forum. Very interesting topic. Indeed hair loss is an ongoing struggle but I really like the message/approach conveyed by @Admin's posts. It is indeed all that you can do. Just give your best to try to better yourself/keep your hair and then even if it does not work out you can't really blame yourself because you did all that you possible could. I'll keep going with my treatment and see where it will land me. At least it is buying me time hopefully. Remember you still have your donor hair which can be extracted and transplanted to the front to give you a better look and you should not give up until you at least used all of your donor hair and tried treatments like dht blockers (propecia/avodart) and growth stimulants (minoxidil). I am currently going at it with full power, hitting it with everything I have like Finasteride, Minoxidil, Ketoconozole, Dermarolling and I will go for a transplant in a near future.
The problem is just knowing I tried my best doesn’t give me peace of mind , having hair does. My hair currently is in a “good enough” state that I can pass off as a full head to non Norwood spotters. However, since my hair is thin there is not much margin for error. If I lost even a little bit of density it may be over for me. So it’s hard to just put so much faith into the drugs and not worry about it, even if worrying about it really doesn’t help.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 4 months ago

Baldingat20 wrote:
4 months ago
The problem is just knowing I tried my best doesn’t give me peace of mind , having hair does. My hair currently is in a “good enough” state that I can pass off as a full head to non Norwood spotters. However, since my hair is thin there is not much margin for error. If I lost even a little bit of density it may be over for me. So it’s hard to just put so much faith into the drugs and not worry about it, even if worrying about it really doesn’t help.
Let me just tell you that as bad as becoming visibly balding or bald seems from afar, it is surmountable, at least it was for me, and I'm highly neurotic with a high-trust face that doesn't necessarily match well with the bald(ing) look.

It's not the end of the world, I know this is a horrible cliche that the fullheads will throw at you without thinking twice about it, but it's largely true. It does the damage that it does, not less, not more. It makes you look uglier, older and sillier, which has consequences on many aspects of your life: social, romantic, even professional.

The best course of action is to remain informed about treatments, design a plan and do everything you can (without wrecking your health or your finances) to keep/recover as much hair as you can so that even if you find yourself getting past NW3, you know you have an up for the future, you know that it will get better.

This is the position I'm in now. Normal head of hair from the front and patiently waiting to get blasted with another 1000 grafts on my crown. The area isn't that large either so this should do it for me. Other than that, I have high hopes for treatments like zinc thymulin and then the many new treatments that will start coming out soon.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp - Last hair transplant: ~1000 grafts on crown area (February 2019)

Baldingat20
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Admin wrote:
4 months ago
Let me just tell you that as bad as becoming visibly balding or bald seems from afar, it is surmountable, at least it was for me, and I'm highly neurotic with a high-trust face that doesn't necessarily match well with the bald(ing) look.

It's not the end of the world, I know this is a horrible cliche that the fullheads will throw at you without thinking twice about it, but it's largely true. It does the damage that it does, not less, not more. It makes you look uglier, older and sillier, which has consequences on many aspects of your life: social, romantic, even professional.

The best course of action is to remain informed about treatments, design a plan and do everything you can (without wrecking your health or your finances) to keep/recover as much hair as you can so that even if you find yourself getting past NW3, you know you have an up for the future, you know that it will get better.

This is the position I'm in now. Normal head of hair from the front and patiently waiting to get blasted with another 1000 grafts on my crown. The area isn't that large either so this should do it for me. Other than that, I have high hopes for treatments like zinc thymulin and then the many new treatments that will start coming out soon.
Damn I don't know I guess it is just my crazy hair loss obsession / anxiety but to me becoming “uglier , sillier and older” is already insurmountable . Or at the very least would make me very depressed. I’ve always obsessed about apperence a lot and don’t beleive I can pull of the bald look at all. I’m sure a there is still some pleasure in life even for very ugly people but the contrast of going from decent looking to very ugly is in theory enough to make me loss all my motivation ( possibly become a drug addict or something) .

I wish I could have faith in the new treatments but honestly I don’t . I just have a hard time believing we will actually get something good in the next 20 years. Hopefully finasteride/ dutasteride/ hair transplants will give me at least some hair my entire life.

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » 4 months ago

decent looking to very ugly is in theory enough to make me loss all my motivation
The reason why I stopped with going the GYM and I went out like 300 per cent less because it was too much work for me to apply Toppik and spend a lot of time giving me a "okay-ish" hairlook for then being slapped in the face by one, one fucking car window or a toilet mirror. But who are you gonna talk about that? With your male friend? "Yo mate I feel bad about my hair, I won't come out tonight" lol.

That's why good looking people can just shave it off way-way easier because even when they are aware they look less good, they are still in the good-looking area. They won't fall into the bottom SMV.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 4 months ago

Baldingat20 wrote:
4 months ago
Damn I don't know I guess it is just my crazy hair loss obsession / anxiety but to me becoming “uglier , sillier and older” is already insurmountable . Or at the very least would make me very depressed. I’ve always obsessed about apperence a lot and don’t beleive I can pull of the bald look at all. I’m sure a there is still some pleasure in life even for very ugly people but the contrast of going from decent looking to very ugly is in theory enough to make me loss all my motivation ( possibly become a drug addict or something) .

I wish I could have faith in the new treatments but honestly I don’t . I just have a hard time believing we will actually get something good in the next 20 years. Hopefully finasteride/ dutasteride/ hair transplants will give me at least some hair my entire life.
Oh I understand, believe me. Unfortunately, there's no avoiding that depressive state and anxiety, you'll have to suck it up, it gets better after something like 6 months. From what I understand, it takes that much time for your brain to adapt to your new body image. The problem with hair loss is that this can become an ongoing process. Just when you thought you had gotten used to your shitty hair, it gets even worse.

That's why buzzing your hair once you go beyond NW3 (and not before! No need to cut your whole hand because you lost a finger) helps.

Treatments and hair transplants can give you way more than just some hair these days, unless you're destined to be a NW7.
JasonStatham wrote:
4 months ago
The reason why I stopped with going the GYM and I went out like 300 per cent less because it was too much work for me to apply Toppik and spend a lot of time giving me a "okay-ish" hairlook for then being slapped in the face by one, one fucking car window or a toilet mirror. But who are you gonna talk about that? With your male friend? "Yo mate I feel bad about my hair, I won't come out tonight" lol.

That's why good looking people can just shave it off way-way easier because even when they are aware they look less good, they are still in the good-looking area. They won't fall into the bottom SMV (Sexual Market Value).
Yeah I stepped foot at the gym in 2009 and immediately gave up for the same reason: I saw my scalp under the harsh lightning of the gym and immediately thought "fuck this, what's the point of putting make-up on a pig?!" I was wrong though.

Getting into the process of recovering my hair through hair transplants actually increased my motivation to get and stay in shape. I was glad I already put on a lot of muscle before the results of my second hair transplant started appearing. Once the hair was there, the change was much more dramatic than if I still had my older skinny-fat body.

So you should definitely keep lifting weights even if your hair looks like shit at a particular moment. Imagining how much better you will look like with hair and a good body in the future.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp - Last hair transplant: ~1000 grafts on crown area (February 2019)

Baldingat20
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Admin wrote:
4 months ago
Oh I understand, believe me. Unfortunately, there's no avoiding that depressive state and anxiety, you'll have to suck it up, it gets better after something like 6 months. From what I understand, it takes that much time for your brain to adapt to your new body image. The problem with hair loss is that this can become an ongoing process. Just when you thought you had gotten used to your shitty hair, it gets even worse.

That's why buzzing your hair once you go beyond NW3 (and not before! No need to cut your whole hand because you lost a finger) helps.

Treatments and hair transplants can give you way more than just some hair these days, unless you're destined to be a NW7.

Yeah I stepped foot at the gym in 2009 and immediately gave up for the same reason: I saw my scalp under the harsh lightning of the gym and immediately thought "fuck this, what's the point of putting make-up on a pig?!" I was wrong though.

Getting into the process of recovering my hair through hair transplants actually increased my motivation to get and stay in shape. I was glad I already put on a lot of muscle before the results of my second hair transplant started appearing. Once the hair was there, the change was much more dramatic than if I still had my older skinny-fat body.

So you should definitely keep lifting weights even if your hair looks like shit at a particular moment. Imagining how much better you will look like with hair and a good body in the future.
6 months seems surprisingly short to adjust. I feel like In the modern world our apperence is the most defining factor of an individual. It’s shallow but I still don’t think anything can beat it. I suppose this is espically true for good looking people, perhaps people who are very lacking in the looks department are able to really focus on character more and not feel so down about it. I’ll be fighting hair loss for life, I’m willing to go on dutasteride when the time comes but not the tranny drugs I don’t think. Sadly I am destined to be nw7 based on family history I’ll be lucky to have any hair by 30... we will see.

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » 4 months ago

Yeah me too. I think I talked about this topic to not improve in other areas of your life is a stupid choice just because you have hair loss.
But that's a process many men have to go through. Some will handle it and some will stay forever in self-pity.

Exodus
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 4 months ago

Baldingat20 wrote:
4 months ago
6 months seems surprisingly short to adjust. I feel like In the modern world our apperence is the most defining factor of an individual. It’s shallow but I still don’t think anything can beat it. I suppose this is espically true for good looking people, perhaps people who are very lacking in the looks department are able to really focus on character more and not feel so down about it. I’ll be fighting hair loss for life, I’m willing to go on dutasteride when the time comes but not the tranny drugs I don’t think. Sadly I am destined to be nw7 based on family history I’ll be lucky to have any hair by 30... we will see.
its been years and you're still norwood 2 though?!
Last edited by Exodus 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » 4 months ago

Exodus wrote:
4 months ago
its been years and you're still norwood 2 though?! at this point it just seems like an excuse to be "depressed" or complain
You can be harsh at times, exo.
Ban the lipstick tax!

Exodus
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by Exodus » 4 months ago

blackg wrote:
4 months ago
You can be harsh at times, exo.
the part about still being a full head is true though. i was mad when i wrote the latter part but like what gives??? BDD perhaps???

what is it baldingat20? i mean i cudnt even tell u were balding its more appropriate to be called fullheadat20 lol

by the way edited my first post

nameless
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: None at this time.

Post by nameless » 3 weeks ago

Uncle Grandfather wrote:
4 months ago
Even this I would say is debatable. If you're a naturally insecure person (like me), should you decide to go the "just shave it bro!" route then you'll constantly be thinking about what people are saying about your shiny dome, whether they're making jokes about it or are otherwise criticizing it. There's no such thing as peace of mind when you're suffering from hair loss.
Bald = major stress. I can feel my mind splitting and the pieces of my mind going off in different directions as if my mind is being drawn and quartered. One of the reasons I stay away from people who have their hair is because their nonchalance about baldness gets under my skin and annoys me a lot. I get it that they can't totally relate to how bad bald is because they aren't experiencing it, but it still seems like they should be able to perceive that bald is a disfigurement and be polite about it. But I swear to you some people who have hair are actually rubbing bald guys' noses in it that they're disfigured and that women don't like them anymore. It's like they're singing, "Nah, nah, nah, nah, you are disfigured. You can't get women anymore nah, nah, nah, nah".

Exodus
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by Exodus » 2 weeks ago

nameless wrote:
3 weeks ago
Bald = major stress. I can feel my mind splitting and the pieces of my mind going off in different directions as if my mind is being drawn and quartered. One of the reasons I stay away from people who have their hair is because their nonchalance about baldness gets under my skin and annoys me a lot. I get it that they can't totally relate to how bad bald is because they aren't experiencing it, but it still seems like they should be able to perceive that bald is a disfigurement and be polite about it. But I swear to you some people who have hair are actually rubbing bald guys' noses in it that they're disfigured and that women don't like them anymore. It's like they're singing, "Nah, nah, nah, nah, you are disfigured. You can't get women anymore nah, nah, nah, nah".
The worst things in life people flat-out deny. A good example is death and the afterlife

And honestly aren't those bullies at least being honest

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » 2 weeks ago

Exodus wrote:
2 weeks ago
The worst things in life people flat-out deny. A good example is death and the afterlife

And honestly aren't those bullies at least being honest
Yeah, I kind of agree, exo. As much as I hate those loudmouth, in your face about your disfigurement types, at least they are honest and are usually just verbalizing what the majority of society are really thinking.
Ban the lipstick tax!

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 2 weeks ago

Baldingat20 wrote:
4 months ago
I think the uncertainty of how fast your hair loss will progress / will treatments work is the worst part of dealing with hair loss. Looking back I think of all the time I’ve spent thinking an obsessing about hair loss and it always boils down to the fact that hair loss is so random and unpredictable. I’ve wasted countless hours of my life on this disease despite doing what I can. I will be having a good peroid for a while were I don’t think about hair loss, but then there are times like now when it never stops.

This is why there is no peace of mind from hair loss. Even if you are on the treatments doing what you can , you never know when it will go south. I’m on propecia for a year and a half, yet I don’t feel any less anxiety than when I first started it which is fucked up. Because any second hair loss can just decide to accelerate and screw you over.

The only way you can truly free yourself from the anxiety of hair loss is to give in and go bald. I don’t think this is a good option, but at least you could trade the anxiety in place for depression.
This was a really good and relatable post. especially the last sentence, because that's exactly what I did. I did give it a good long fight first though, which I don't regret at all. I am bald now and wearing a hair piece, but at least I know that it did what I could to save my hair. Sure, I could have tried even harder, tried all those highly questionable ''treatments'' that the hardcore hair loss fighters try, or as I like to call them - scientific experiments. But, when it came down to it, my health is more important to me than possibly gaining 5% more hair, especially as I already struggle enough with my health as it is.
For me the only ''solution'' was coming to terms with that I was going to be bald, and wearing a hair piece. I stopped taking Finasteride, minoxidil, Spironolactone and high estrogen birth control pills. Stopped wasting money on expensive shampoos and treatments, extensions and other products to hide/combat my hair loss. Shaved what was left of the hair on top of my head, and glued down the hair piece. Never looked back.
Stopped frantically researching cures for hair loss, and I am glad that I did. When/if the cure for hair loss actually comes, and I am talking a full blown cure here, not a ''treatment'' that will possibly give you 10% more peach fuzz, but something that will actually reverse pattern baldness and restore hair to it's full potential or at least to the point where it looks full - I am sure that everyone will know about it, including me. In the meantime I am not going to waste another second of my life thinking about it, I already wasted years of my youth that I'll never get back. If the cure comes I'll do whatever it takes to afford it, but for now I am just over this. :roll:

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Post by Arjen » 2 weeks ago

JasonStatham wrote:
4 months ago

That's why good looking people can just shave it off way-way easier because even when they are aware they look less good, they are still in the good-looking area. They won't fall into the bottom SMV (Sexual Market Value).
What happened to your body after you stopped going? ;)

But seriously, and I also keep noticing this compared to admin: I'm quite astonished (given how self-conscious and vain I am) how I've never liked balding obviously, but never been nearly as bothered by it as you guys, although I was hit early and brutally. If anything, I'd say it's rather the opposite of what you suggest iny mc ase: I just never was good looking enough to have the (love) life I've always envisaged, so losing my hair was only one further, but rather minor hit. Objectively, it was probably more than that, especially since it was a part of all my 20s and balding potentially cancelled out improvements in other areas of my life and in my personality, which would be a shame. But I'm still not sure, if being more concerned about it would have made my life better (nless maybe I'd started taking meds at 18...), seeing something like the question of "Are all the girls I find attractive out of my league and therefore unreachable" affects my mind.