The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Discuss how hair loss has affected you, someone you know, or a public figure.
Baldingat20
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: 11 months ago
Reputation: 80
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Propecia

The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Post by Baldingat20 » 11 months ago

I think the uncertainty of how fast your hair loss will progress / will treatments work is the worst part of dealing with hair loss. Looking back I think of all the time I’ve spent thinking an obsessing about hair loss and it always boils down to the fact that hair loss is so random and unpredictable. I’ve wasted countless hours of my life on this disease despite doing what I can. I will be having a good peroid for a while were I don’t think about hairloss, but then there are times like now when it never stops.

This is why there is no peace of mind from hairloss. Even if you are on the treatments doing what you can , you never know when it will go south. I’m on propecia for a year and a half, yet I don’t feel any less anxiety than when I first started it which is fucked up. Because any second hair loss can just decide to accelerate and screw you over.

The only way you can truly free yourself from the anxiety of hair loss is to give in and go bald. I don’t think this is a good option, but at least you could trade the anxiety in place for depression.

User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1477
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 3653
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 11 months ago

Baldingat20 wrote:
11 months ago
I think the uncertainty of how fast your hair loss will progress / will treatments work is the worst part of dealing with hair loss. Looking back I think of all the time I’ve spent thinking an obsessing about hair loss and it always boils down to the fact that hair loss is so random and unpredictable. I’ve wasted countless hours of my life on this disease despite doing what I can. I will be having a good peroid for a while were I don’t think about hairloss, but then there are times like now when it never stops.

This is why there is no peace of mind from hairloss. Even if you are on the treatments doing what you can , you never know when it will go south. I’m on propecia for a year and a half, yet I don’t feel any less anxiety than when I first started it which is fucked up. Because any second hair loss can just decide to accelerate and screw you over.

The only way you can truly free yourself from the anxiety of hair loss is to give in and go bald. I don’t think this is a good option, but at least you could trade the anxiety in place for depression.
I see that you're on propecia. The best thing that can be said about propecia is that it's consistent. The track record shows that the hair that you have after ~18 months should last as long as you're on propecia.

User avatar
blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1347
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1854

Re: The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Post by blackg » 11 months ago

Hi mate. Very good post and welcome to the forum.
She packed my bags last night

User avatar
That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1122
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2132
Norwood: NW2.5

Re: The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Post by That Guy » 11 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
11 months ago
I see that you're on propecia. The best thing that can be said about propecia is that it's consistent. The track record shows that the hair that you have after ~18 months should last as long as you're on propecia.
I'd always heard that the drug tends to lose its effectiveness after a number of years.

User avatar
JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 915
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2022
Norwood: NW3.5

Re: The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Post by JasonStatham » 11 months ago

I fully agree with that. But I don't think its a bad thing because humans are not supposed to be "in peace". Life is supposed to be hard and have challenges. If being happy and in peace is the ultimate lifegoal, why even bother living in civilisation and not go to a monastery with a shaved head and meditate all day? No Internet shit. No women. No blackg posts about chubby women....sounds good right?

Why have a family its just work?
Why go to the GYM and not just relax with playing games and frozen Pizza?
Why maintain your hair and use medication/shampoo etc etc if you just can shave it off and enjoy life?

I think Jordan Peterson talked about that your life goal isn't supposed to be happy all the time. It's about struggles and responsibility.

For me personally, I have "peace of mind" when I tried anything with a problem. If I go bald now despite having done most of the things, of course I wouldn't be happy about it but I can still tell myself I did anything I could.

User avatar
That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1122
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2132
Norwood: NW2.5

Re: The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Post by That Guy » 11 months ago

JasonStatham wrote:
11 months ago
I fully agree with that. But I don't think its a bad thing because humans are not supposed to be "in peace". Life is supposed to be hard and have challenges.
Yeah, but the thing is that those goals that you set for yourself, and challenges to overcome, are for the purpose of creating a better, happier life.

Life isn't actually supposed to be anything more than what you make of it; it's all about what you want out of it. Some people really don't care to live anything more than a simple, humble lifestyle...but most don't, and the thing is: Most of the people who do set out and achieve their goals, are indeed happier simply because they're getting out of life what they want, and what you get is dependent on a combination of what you put in and the cards you're dealt from birth.

We all know this on some level. We all know that people who have it better than us, generally do so because they're not afraid to go after what they want. But like you say, that generally requires a lot of work. People who reject this generally brush off this adversity to pursuing it as simple laziness, but it honestly has more to do with consumer culture which has intentionally fed everyone nihilism to keep them pacified.

Frito Lay doesn't want you to get off your fat ass and realize that you'd feel better and just BE better if you lost weight and started working out. No man, just buy more of our products! Don't listen to them; "big is beautiful too"!

"Just shave it bro!" said everyone who isn't bald and can clean house in the dating market when you're gone and everyone else works for Gillette.

So what if you spend 8 hours a day playing Call of Duty and have never touched a titty? "Nothing in life really matters, bruh" and "we're all goin' to the same place anyway!" Because if you reject this, and realize that this is just escapism from the fact that when the screen turns off, your life fucking sucks and you're an unhappy nobody, you're not going to buy the next game or sink in tons of money into DLC!

See where I'm going with this?

User avatar
JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 915
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2022
Norwood: NW3.5

Re: The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Post by JasonStatham » 11 months ago

In case of hair loss, most people are really just fucking lazy. Im in a "just shave it bruh" hair loss group on Facebook and you have daily people showing their new buzzed hair and they seem at first "happy" about it but they didn't even try to fight the hairloss, despite that they simply look worse now and most of those people are very Beta in terms of dating and women, so have fun on the 2018 dating marked with your buzzed head lol. I'm not judging the buzzcut because it takes some balls but if you truly know you are looking worse, why not do something against it? I don't get that.

You see people saying: "Nah bruh Finasteride is too much of a risk". "Nah bruh applying Minoxidil for 30 seconds its too much of work", "derma rolling? I rather do something different....TOOO MUCH OF WORK"


....TOO MUCH WORK.

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1733
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 3778
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Head & Shoulders caffeine shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling
Location: Belgium
Age: 29
Contact:

Re: The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Post by Admin » 11 months ago

JasonStatham wrote:
11 months ago
I fully agree with that. But I don't think its a bad thing because humans are not supposed to be "in peace". Life is supposed to be hard and have challenges. If being happy and in peace is the ultimate lifegoal, why even bother living in civilisation and not go to a monastery with a shaved head and meditate all day? No Internet shit. No women. No blackg posts about chubby women....sounds good right?

Why have a family its just work?
Why go to the GYM and not just relax with playing games and frozen Pizza?
Why maintain your hair and use medication/shampoo etc etc if you just can shave it off and enjoy life?

I think Jordan Peterson talked about that your life goal isn't supposed to be happy all the time. It's about struggles and responsibility.

For me personally, I have "peace of mind" when I tried anything with a problem. If I go bald now despite having done most of the things, of course I wouldn't be happy about it but I can still tell myself I did anything I could.
This.

The idea that you're supposed to live a "peaceful" life with no dire challenges is pathological. This is the idea that Wolf Pack is actively pushing on HairlossTalk with no one to challenge him (or else!).

The moment you're in peace, you wither on the vine, and even worse, you live a shallow existence. If you have negative thoughts, pay attention to them and contend with them, don't just "ignore them and replace them with positive thoughts".

This is not going to work, been there, done that. Now that certainly doesn't mean you should let yourself go bald. You should design your best plan, your best (and worst) case scenario and stick to it. Like I did, now it's true that I was only able to do that effectively after I became effectively bald. The uncertainty you feel while you're going bald can be quite unbearable, as you don't know where it's going to take you and how bad the damage will be.

But still, even in one of the worst situations ever for a young bald guy, I managed to partially fix it, and it's not over as I have a third (and last, I don't have an infinite donor area) hair transplant planned in 5 months.

The only thing I have to be sad about at the moment is my badly thinning crown, and frankly that's OK, as from the front, I get all the benefits of having hair, and I doubt that when a woman smiles at me on the street (yes, it happens), she'd take it back after glancing at the back of my head. I could very well stop here and leave my crown like that, but that would be a shame.

So yeah, I'm sticking to my plan, even though it's still a shitty deal compared to a fullhead that will never lose his hair in his youth, it's the best I can do, and that's good enough for me. It certainly beats being in "just shave it bruh" mode telling myself lies about how I look like Bruce Willis all day long. There's no point denying the obvious, I look much better and my life in general is much better with hair.

User avatar
That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1122
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2132
Norwood: NW2.5

Re: The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Post by That Guy » 11 months ago

JasonStatham wrote:
11 months ago
In case of hair loss, most people are really just fucking lazy. Im in a "just shave it bruh" hair loss group on Facebook and you have daily people showing their new buzzed hair and they seem at first "happy" about it but they didn't even try to fight the hairloss, despite that they simply look worse now and most of those people are very Beta in terms of dating and women, so have fun on the 2018 dating marked with your buzzed head lol. I'm not judging the buzzcut because it takes some balls but if you truly know you are looking worse, why not do something against it? I don't get that.

You see people saying: "Nah bruh Finasteride is too much of a risk". "Nah bruh applying Minoxidil for 30 seconds its too much of work", "derma rolling? I rather do something different....TOOO MUCH OF WORK"


....TOO MUCH WORK.
What I am saying is that this is a mentality that is instilled in people who would otherwise not think so if left to their own devices.

On the flipside, how many guys don't you know who say that going bald is no big deal, it's all about their "confidence" and "money", or rationalize "The Rock is bald and people love him", etc.? Because I see way more of those people than the "minoxidil is too much work" crowd.

These people have been lied to for so long that they actually believe it's not worth the effort.

Baldingat20
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: 11 months ago
Reputation: 80
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Propecia

Re: The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Post by Baldingat20 » 11 months ago

That Guy wrote:
11 months ago
I'd always heard that the drug tends to lose its effectiveness after a number of years.
Yea this is why I am worried about it . Even when taking propecia it can just stop working at any moment. Living with that uncertainty is difficult . That’s why now I feel like I will never hit a point where I just stop worrying about it. In my case I have just been maintaining- no regrowth. I suppose if I had regrow a fullhead maybe would stop thinking about it but I doubt it anyways.

Baldingat20
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: 11 months ago
Reputation: 80
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Propecia

Re: The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Post by Baldingat20 » 11 months ago

That Guy wrote:
11 months ago
What I am saying is that this is a mentality that is instilled in people who would otherwise not think so if left to their own devices.

On the flipside, how many guys don't you know who say that going bald is no big deal, it's all about their "confidence" and "money", or rationalize "The Rock is bald and people love him", etc.? Because I see way more of those people than the "minoxidil is too much work" crowd.

These people have been lied to for so long that they actually believe it's not worth the effort.
Every guy should at least be able to see the damage hair loss causes. I don’t understand people who act like they are totally cool with it and don’t even try to treat it. 95% of people look worse without hair. The only guys who can be happy not treating it are those who never were very apperence conscious to begin with , or the ultra masculine type

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 219
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 327
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Re: The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Post by supremegentleman » 11 months ago

Hello @Baldingat20. Welcome to the forum. Very interesting topic. Indeed hair loss is an ongoing struggle but I really like the message/approach conveyed by @Admin's posts. It is indeed all that you can do. Just give your best to try to better yourself/keep your hair and then even if it does not work out you can't really blame yourself because you did all that you possible could. I'll keep going with my treatment and see where it will land me. At least it is buying me time hopefully. Remember you still have your donor hair which can be extracted and transplanted to the front to give you a better look and you should not give up until you at least used all of your donor hair and tried treatments like dht blockers (propecia/avodart) and growth stimulants (minoxidil). I am currently going at it with full power, hitting it with everything I have like Finasteride, Minoxidil, Ketoconozole, Dermarolling and I will go for a transplant in a near future.

User avatar
Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 324
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 473
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Re: The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Post by Exodus » 11 months ago

That Guy wrote:
11 months ago
What I am saying is that this is a mentality that is instilled in people who would otherwise not think so if left to their own devices.

On the flipside, how many guys don't you know who say that going bald is no big deal, it's all about their "confidence" and "money", or rationalize "The Rock is bald and people love him", etc.? Because I see way more of those people than the "minoxidil is too much work" crowd.

These people have been lied to for so long that they actually believe it's not worth the effort.
speaking of the rock rationalization (which really makes me angry, LOL at your average guy being comparable to these uber dom thugs) can someone edit this meme to show one of these dom chad bald guys and have the guy looking at the tv be some typical baldcel? LOL

Image

would be PERFECT for this meme :lol:. someone could also label the dude watching the tv as "slybaldguys" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Uncle Grandfather
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 203
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 551
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: 5% Minoxidil, 1 mg Finasteride, Nizoral

Re: The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Post by Uncle Grandfather » 11 months ago

Baldingat20 wrote:
11 months ago
The only way you can truly free yourself from the anxiety of hair loss is to give in and go bald. I don’t think this is a good option, but at least you could trade the anxiety in place for depression.
Even this I would say is debatable. If you're a naturally insecure person (like me), should you decide to go the "just shave it bro!" route then you'll constantly be thinking about what people are saying about your shiny dome, whether they're making jokes about it or are otherwise criticizing it. There's no such thing as peace of mind when you're suffering from hair loss.
Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind

User avatar
JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 915
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2022
Norwood: NW3.5

Re: The only peace of mind in hair loss is going bald

Post by JasonStatham » 11 months ago

supremegentleman wrote:
11 months ago
Hello @Baldingat20. Welcome to the forum. Very interesting topic. Indeed hair loss is an ongoing struggle but I really like the message/approach conveyed by @Admin's posts. It is indeed all that you can do. Just give your best to try to better yourself/keep your hair and then even if it does not work out you can't really blame yourself because you did all that you possible could. I'll keep going with my treatment and see where it will land me. At least it is buying me time hopefully. Remember you still have your donor hair which can be extracted and transplanted to the front to give you a better look and you should not give up until you at least used all of your donor hair and tried treatments like dht blockers (propecia/avodart) and growth stimulants (minoxidil). I am currently going at it with full power, hitting it with everything I have like Finasteride, Minoxidil, Ketoconozole, Dermarolling and I will go for a transplant in a near future.
I like your more positive outlook on hairloss! Just try your best. That's all we do here.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests