How many real-life people know about your hair problem?

Discuss how hair loss has affected you, someone you know, or a public figure.
User avatar
JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 865
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2039
Norwood: NW3.5

How many real-life people know about your hair problem?

#4331

Post by JasonStatham » 1 year ago

Inspired by Afro_Vacancy's post on another Thread, I want to ask you guys the question or just quote Afro:

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 year ago
How many of your real-life people know that you hate being bald?

How many of your relatives know that you post stuff on a hair loss forum? That you googled stuff like Minoxidil and Finasteride? That you researched hairtransplants and made comments about Justin Bibers Norwood 1,5?

In my case, just my girlfriend and my parents know it. I still can't be that "honest" and downplay balding because I realise with every problem in your life, people do not really understand it until they have it themselves. it's just reality. For example, my mother told me she thinks Prince William looks awful but at the same time tells me the hair transplant wasn't necessary. But its not like that I would look like him in 10 years without finasteride and an hair transplant. In 10 years, suddenly people tell you in your face you look awful and you make a registration on Reddit /MGTOW (I stole that joke from Admin). You can't win with people but you can win with yourself.

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1971
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 4998
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.
Location: Belgium
Age: 30
Contact:

How many of your real-life people know about your hair problem?

#4334

Post by Admin » 1 year ago

JasonStatham wrote:
1 year ago
she thinks Prince William looks awful but at the same time tells me the hair transplant wasn't necessary.
Lol at being able to hold those two beliefs at the same time without becoming schizophrenic.

To answer the question: almost everyone I know in real life knows. My coworkers all know (even those I haven't told directly I guess), my girlfriend knows, all my friends, all my family, my girlfriend's friends and family.

No issues with it, I think once you put it on the table, most people will admit that hair is important.

Especially my girlfriend who's been in the front seat for my transformation. And she can't help being in awe.

I think a lot of people forget how good hair can make you look, notice what happens when you're bald and someone manages to find a flattering picture of you with a full head of hair. You know what they instantly think: "damn he looks so much better/younger".

Put that picture side by side with a picture taken now and you'll be unable to unsee the ugly truth.
"The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. - Matthew 6:22 :christian-cross:

User avatar
JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 865
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2039
Norwood: NW3.5

How many of your real-life people know about your hair problem?

#4336

Post by JasonStatham » 1 year ago

Admin wrote:
1 year ago
Lol at being able to hold those two beliefs at the same time without becoming schizophrenic.
That's my childhood mate. That I didn't turn into Elliot Rodgers is a miracle xD

User avatar
Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 881
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1618
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

How many of your real-life people know about your hair problem?

#4340

Post by Arjen » 1 year ago

I discuss openly my ponderings with maybe a a dozen people. I am making experiences different from all of you, as it seems: my friend for example tells me he'd immediately do it (hair transplant) if hairloss happened to him and he also tells me to do it, as it would bump me up by roughly one point in his opinion.

What I’d get from people not knowing me since my childhood and teens is “but this is how I know you/couldn’t imagine you differently”, so I hardly ever get sentences that make my roll my eyes. Unlike with my general looks, where I am sometimes tempted to ask for reassurance, I’m never seeking it with regards to “being fine” with a shaved head. I know it’s a disadvantage and that’s it, I do not even waste a lot of time on how big a disadvantage, which speaks volumes given my usual overthinking.

Having said that and being fully aware how ridiculously much looks matter, I am realizing more and more that it’s the aspect of my appearance where I have the highest potential of improving – at least in theory. My head shape is quite suited for a shaved scalp, but my face isn’t, as it’s a friendly, trustworthy “office”-face. I think I’d attract a lot more 30+ 5-6s willing to after all found a family, if I had some hair. Quite the prospect!

User avatar
That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1366
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2408
Norwood: NW2.5

How many of your real-life people know about your hair problem?

#4386

Post by That Guy » 1 year ago

Well, all of my relatives know about it since my grandmother felt it was necessary to tell them all

Baldingat20
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 80
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Propecia

How many of your real-life people know about your hair problem?

#4656

Post by Baldingat20 » 1 year ago

Only family... to embarrassed to let others know because I am still doing an ok job hiding it right now with hats

Bklyn_23
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Posts: 59
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 100
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: Nizoral

How many of your real-life people know about your hair problem?

#4699

Post by Bklyn_23 » 1 year ago

Only my mother, father, sister, my last two girlfriends (told them each after several months), and two of my friends (not even my two best friends whom I've known since I was 7 years old - just two friends).

Folks who don't know: any of my other family members (brother-in-law, grandfather, aunts/uncles/cousins etc.), my 5 very close friends, and none of my other friends/acquaintances aside from the two I mentioned.

Interestingly, it was only my desire to avoid hurt feelings/misinterpretation which compelled me to reveal my hair issues/concealer use to these two friends. They are relatively recent friends (~3 years), but we go out a lot together. They would always ask to come by my apartment to hang out and pre-game before going out for the evening and I'd always make some excuse. Eventually I told one of them simply because I thought he was a good guy, and I didn't want him to think that I was being rude for no reason, or that I didn't want to hang out with him before we actually went out to wherever we were going. So I suppose that as strong as my desire to keep my concealer use a secret is, my desire to not offend/hurt anyone's feelings is stronger.

User avatar
kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 375
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 871
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

How many of your real-life people know about your hair problem?

#4773

Post by kj6723 » 1 year ago

Where I previously lived, everyone in my social circle and beyond knew, since my NW2.5 with thinning forelock was the topic of many a joke

Then I mastered the combover, moved back to my home state, and regrew hair with medication, assuming the identity of a fullhead. I have disclosed to some close family members and friends here that I use male pattern baldness medication. Even some of them I regret telling. My general policy is never speak of having male pattern baldness or treating it unless I feel a moral obligation to help a fellow baldite out. Rip labels off of minoxidil bottles and destroy all evidence

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 222
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 339
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

How many of your real-life people know about your hair problem?

#4787

Post by supremegentleman » 1 year ago

kj6723 wrote:
1 year ago
Where I previously lived, everyone in my social circle and beyond knew, since my NW2.5 with thinning forelock was the topic of many a joke

Then I mastered the combover, moved back to my home state, and regrew hair with medication, assuming the identity of a fullhead. I have disclosed to some close family members and friends here that I use male pattern baldness medication. Even some of them I regret telling. My general policy is never speak of having male pattern baldness or treating it unless I feel a moral obligation to help a fellow baldite out. Rip labels off of minoxidil bottles and destroy all evidence
>2018
>There is still stigma associated with treating male pattern baldness

Fuck this gay earth. You just can't win. If you are bald/balding people will make fun of you. If you take medication to save your hair you are even a bigger laughing stock for them. Well I guess just shaving it off bros is the only way to go in this fucked up world ;)

User avatar
blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1947
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 3597

How many of your real-life people know about your hair problem?

#4788

Post by blackg » 1 year ago

Earth is gay!
From Australia: we're all in this together.

User avatar
Uncle Grandfather
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 212
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 634
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: 1 mg Finasteride, Saw Palmetto, Nizoral, Regenepure, Alcepin

How many of your real-life people know about your hair problem?

#4830

Post by Uncle Grandfather » 1 year ago

supremegentleman wrote:
1 year ago
>2018
>There is still stigma associated with treating male pattern baldness

Fuck this gay earth. You just can't win. If you are bald/balding people will make fun of you. If you take medication to save your hair you are even a bigger laughing stock for them. Well I guess just shaving it off bros is the only way to go in this fucked up world ;)
Please don't greentext, it just looks cringey as fuck.

On topic, all of my family & friends know.
Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind

User avatar
Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1217
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 3501
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride, RU58841, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

How many of your real-life people know about your hair problem?

#4840

Post by Rudiger » 1 year ago

supremegentleman wrote:
1 year ago
>2018
>There is still stigma associated with treating male pattern baldness

Fuck this gay earth. You just can't win. If you are bald/balding people will make fun of you. If you take medication to save your hair you are even a bigger laughing stock for them. Well I guess just shaving it off bros is the only way to go in this fucked up world ;)
I've been on treatments for years and I never even heard of shaving it off. Woah.

Guess I don't need this place anymore, have a nice life guys.
Look, fat...

User avatar
JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 865
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2039
Norwood: NW3.5

How many of your real-life people know about your hair problem?

#4850

Post by JasonStatham » 1 year ago

supremegentleman wrote:
1 year ago
>2018
>There is still stigma associated with treating male pattern baldness

Fuck this gay earth. You just can't win. If you are bald/balding people will make fun of you. If you take medication to save your hair you are even a bigger laughing stock for them. Well I guess just shaving it off bros is the only way to go in this fucked up world ;)
Yes and no.

Yes to that many people make openly fun of you balding or being bald since somehow its okay. No one will white knight or defend you in our society. There will be no balding awareness. No one cares about you. A fat slob of a woman can make fun of you balding while you will get mocked if you say something to her.

BUT a lot of people are assholes in general. I think people that mock you on balding, would mock you the very second you get fat or something else (but they will behold themselves cause even they know, making fun of being fat or a big nose isn't something you should do).

And some very rare people will support you. The people that support me or just let me do my hair stuff, are the people that I didn't had a problem with other topics either. The people that would laugh at me eating Finasterid and stuff had personal deficits from the get go. I mean why would you make fun of a guy working on getting his hair better? Its like you see your fat friend working out in the GYM and he is already insecure and then you shout at him in front of everyone: "Yo why you workout fatty? You so silly mate!"

So in short, most people do not want good things to happen to you and its hard to filter good people.

Francesco17
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 6
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: Nothing
Location: UK

How many real-life people know about your hair problem?

#7376

Post by Francesco17 » 1 year ago

I mentioned, to most people I'm close with, my concern for my incipient hair loss.

My mum went like, so what, I've lost my teeth, we all get old, there's many bald guys out there, belittling my concerns.

My dad said, oh that's too early, I started ten years later than you without even trying to offer any sympathy or understanding.

Everyone else, people I will call friends for lack of better word or fear to admit how isolated I really am, just plainly changed subject after a short sentence like "it's sad" or "it's not that noticeable'

Therefore I didn't talk about it anymore - because they were not interested and because I don't want to be seen as whiny or needy. But if family and friends were listenful and supportive, I'd definitely talk about it all openly

User avatar
blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1947
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 3597

How many real-life people know about your hair problem?

#7398

Post by blackg » 1 year ago

:P :P no
Francesco17 wrote: I mentioned, to most people I'm close with, my concern for my incipient hair loss.

My mum went like, so what, I've lost my teeth, we all get old, there's many bald guys out there, belittling my concerns.

My dad said, oh that's too early, I started ten years later than you without even trying to offer any sympathy or understanding.

Everyone else, people I will call friends for lack of better word or fear to admit how isolated I really am, just plainly changed subject after a short sentence like "it's sad" or "it's not that noticeable'

Therefore I didn't talk about it anymore - because they were not interested and because I don't want to be seen as whiny or needy. But if family and friends were listenful and supportive, I'd definitely talk about it all openly
Welcome, mate!
From Australia: we're all in this together.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post