Impact of your state of hair on your looks

Discuss how hair loss has affected you, someone you know, or a public figure.
Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Impact of your state of hair on your looks

Post by Arjen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:11 pm

This is something I‘ve been curious about ever since noticing the tendency that most HairLossTalk members place not big, but HUGE importance on their hair.
I know my NW V is a disadvantage, especially since I have a rather boyish, friendly face and slim frame.
However, if I had to wrap it up in numbers:
Me now: 5 - 5.5
Me with the best state of hair I ever had: 6

The difference is 1 point max in my view, although I am aware I‘d be offering less immediate deal breaker material.

So, if you guys were to compare:
current state
current state otherwise but with your hair at its pinnacle

Particularly curious about Fred‘s feedback, as you should be able to compare 3 or 4, in several months even 5 states!:)

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling every 10 days

Re: Impact of your state of hair on your looks

Post by Admin » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:36 pm

For me I'd say that I was still fine with a bald head, given that I still managed to date a girl that was out of my league at the time. Even though the relationship imploded in the space of two months. I'm still convinced that she would never have treated me this harshly if I still had a full head of hair, or at least an acceptable head of hair.

Since then, I had had my first hair transplant and you guys knew what my plan was: buzzing my hair very short to at least have a frame for my face and some coverage, kind of a SMP effect with actual hair. And it worked well, girls thought that I looked good and most importantly thought that I had hair, that I just needed to grow it out but didn't by choice.

That said, I'm now nearly 5 months after my second hair transplant (2000 grafts at the front again) which already allows me to sport a decent-looking head of hair, which is now grown out (1,8 cm on top and 6mm on the sides), and I can stay life has been different since I've had a decent head of hair again.

People treat me differently, especially women, old and young this time, when I was shaving my head, it was mostly older women who would treat me very nicely. I also get looks from girls again, sometimes very insistent. I was basically eye-raped at the gym by some short girl with glasses a couple of weeks ago. I'm not used to this, especially with the extra-muscle that I've acquired in the last year and a half.

I don't know if it's a matter of rating, of gaining a point or two like you suggest, or just ticking a box, a box that's very obvious in the real world and as we all knew here, it usually makes a big difference, even on people who could get away with the bald or shaved look. Having hair transports you in a different world, especially if you have other attractive features like height and an above average face.

I feel like it's all a bonus of course, since my life was in order before I got a normal head of hair back (still quite thin at the back though), but boy, what a bonus! I already have a girlfriend with who I've been for almost two years and with who I have an exclusive relationship, so yeah, I don't even need the extra attention, but yeah, again, it's just really nice.

You can definitely live without it, but some doors will definitely be closed to you, which isn't surprising, but I really had to go back to the "having hair" state to realize it. Nothing like first hand experience.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Arjen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:48 pm

I am going to sound silly with this, but: are you sure it wasn‘t just really in rather than on your head?

Up until over a year ago I had a girlfriend (10 years younger than me) for something over two years. She was way more into me than I was into her and it inevitably created arguments. When I broke it off and after several attempts to get me back it ended in insults where, yes, my baldness played a part. I assume it was mostly her friends helping her to get over me: „this is actually a good chance to find sb with hair now! what did you see im him anyways?“ etc.. What I‘m trying to say: the way you perceive one another‘s looks in relation to your own often decides who has the upper hand, but in that case it was me - even though she‘d originally not even have considered a baldie, as, yes, that box needs to be ticked...on paper. Maybe you just felt inferior as I do with women from the get-go, as having some hair is extremely important to you?

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling every 10 days

Post by Admin » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:00 pm

Arjen wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:48 pm
I am going to sound silly with this, but: are you sure it wasn‘t just really in rather than on your head?

Up until over a year ago I had a girlfriend (10 years younger than me) for something over two years. She was way more into me than I was into her and it inevitably created arguments. When I broke it off and after several attempts to get me back it ended in insults where, yes, my baldness played a part. I assume it was mostly her friends helping her to get over me: „this is actually a good chance to find sb with hair now! what did you see im him anyways?“ etc.. What I‘m trying to say: the way you perceive one another‘s looks in relation to your own often decides who has the upper hand, but in that case it was me - even though she‘d originally not even have considered a baldie, as, yes, that box needs to be ticked...on paper. Maybe you just felt inferior as I do with women from the get-go, as having some hair is extremely important to you?
I'm not completely sure but some things are different, I'm having experiences (insistent looks, girls chatting me up, etc.) that I just would not have when I was sporting a shaved head (or even worse before that, a bald head).

Ah that doesn't surprise me, when a girl (or a guy) gets really offended by rejection, sometimes, the low-blows will start flying, and as we've said many times in the past, baldness is just the easiest target ever when it comes to physical flaws, a bull's eye on your forehead.

I didn't feel inferior after my first hair transplant, but still, the regular attention from all sorts of women was not there, it was much rarer. These days it happens very often, (insistent) looks and smiles, they come so easily that I'm baffled sometimes. And smiling like an idiot for like 10 minutes afterwards.

Since my first hair transplant, I always thought I looked good, so barely any feelings of inferiority. Who knows? A small amount of my renewed experiences with women could also be attributed to my newfound confidence in my looks, but that wouldn't make much sense, since the reason I'm becoming more confident is in great part due to the fact that girls pay attention to me again.

Every time I get that positive feedback, it reinforces my confidence then it just becomes a loop. But I know where it all started: a new and better appearance. Do you know another way I can tell? When I look at a picture of me pre second hair transplant, with my shaved head. Now I'm like "oh God, I look so different!" and yes I mean worse, less attractive of course. I guess I had underestimated the power of hair during my shaved phase, and it was probably some kind of cope (aaand the infamous word is out on this forum!).
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

That Guy
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by That Guy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:06 pm

My hair isn't at a point where I'm ruined because of it, but it is enough that it is aesthetically damaging, in my opinion.

In what attempts I have made with women since the onset of this shit a couple years ago, I'd say it's gone well enough. A while back, I did get with this woman who was in her 30s and I'd say is what most would call an "8", but as I had talked about on HairLossTalk, I found out she was actually engaged to be married, so I stopped seeing her.

Regardless, the hairloss bothers me to no end. I look at pics from a few years ago and no matter how hard I try, I still want it all back and can't stop thinking about it.

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Arjen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:24 pm

Admin wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:00 pm
I'm not completely sure but some things are different, I'm having experiences (insistent looks, girls chatting me up, etc.) that I just would not have when I was sporting a shaved head (or even worse before that, a bald head).

Ah that doesn't surprise me, when a girl (or a guy) gets really offended by rejection, sometimes, the low-blows will start flying, and as we've said many times in the past, baldness is just the easiest target ever when it comes to physical flaws, a bull's eye on your forehead.

I didn't feel inferior after my first hair transplant, but still, the regular attention from all sorts of women was not there, it was much rarer. These days it happens very often, (insistent) looks and smiles, they come so easily that I'm baffled sometimes. And smiling like an idiot for like 10 minutes afterwards.

Since my first hair transplant, I always thought I looked good, so barely any feelings of inferiority. Who knows? A small amount of my renewed experiences with women could also be attributed to my newfound confidencce in my looks, but that wouldn't make much sense, since the reason I'm becoming more confident is in great part due to the fact that girls pay attention to me again.

Every time I get that positive feedback, it reinforces my confidence then it just becomes a loop. But I know where it all started: a new and better appearance. Do you know another way I can tell? When I look at a picture of me pre second hair transplant, with my shaved head. Now I'm like "oh God, I look so different!" and yes I mean worse, less attractive of course. I guess I had underestimated the power of hair during my shaved phase, and it was probably some kind of cope (aaand the infamous word is out on this forum!).
It does sound like a massive difference, so that‘s valuable information, especially since our initial hair situations are/were similar. I do think I‘ve gained in profile since I last had a reasonable amount of hair, so having that, knowing where you stand in life, knowing you are quite good with people AND having hair...sounds very good. However, even back at school (with hair), the attention came from girls I didn‘t fancy, whereas the ones I fancied wouldn‘t share the feeling;)

Still, I have not completely ruled out going down your FUE route, although I’d start around 10 years later than you. Really interested in seeing your further progress after your 2nd round.
Do you happen to have a pic of when you buzz it (after round 2 a/o round 2) and would you share it?

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:41 pm

I'd probably survive with buzzed NW3, but in the last few years younger girls have noticed me again, my hair has improved and I've worked on my skin a lot too. When I was 28 a lot of people would think I'm over 30 even mid 30s, now it's gone in reverse where I guess it's hard to tell my age, but mid 20s wouldn't surprise some people. Nobody thinks I look 30 (now 31).

Without hair I'd be average or maybe a little above, but I already have a large forehead, so having as low of a hairline as possible with density is vital and moves me up the hotness scale considerably. I'd be somewhat content with an average looking girl that has a nice body and is around my age, but if the option of an actual hot girl in her early 20s is there, my happiness and feeling of winning at life just goes through the roof. Feels like I'm getting bonus rounds.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Arjen » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:38 pm

May I ask what you‘ve done to improve your skin, Rudiger?

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Rudiger » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Arjen wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:38 pm
May I ask what you‘ve done to improve your skin, Rudiger?
Sure but I'll just copy and paste a post I wrote from HairLossTalk some months ago:

I should really get back on skin game. It's amazing the difference only a few years of regular treatment can make. I'm not even moisturising now.

At 27/28 I think I looked considerably older than I do now 2 years on, I could somewhat see this in pictures but definitely from the comments people made, which were various degrees of shock and awe that I was as young as I was. One guy asked me if I was younger or older than my brother 6 years my senior, when I said 28 his unfiltered reaction was "fucking hell", and you can tell it's an honest one because he instantly looked embarrassed he just blurted that out.

I don't think many would have thought I was under 30, even heard as old as mid 30's sometimes, which is when I really used to hate when this game came up of guessing each others ages (and by the way why the fuck is this not coming up as much now?! It used to feel like once a month in work or social situations).

Anyway, even with my shit hair, most are actually really surprised I'm 30, recently some actually believed me only when I insisted on it. That's a huge turn around.

So, how? In only a few years?

-Water. Obviously. Way more of it than you'd probably think. This alone is like 80% of the battle, if you aren't into buying creams and masks and pills, just look at how much water you're drinking and you can probably triple it at least (at least 1 gallon, even up to 2 some days if you're up to it).

-Facial yoga. Takes about 3 or 4 months of feeling ridiculous before your skin feels tighter. Cheekbones more defined, mouth lines clearer, under-eye wrinkles reduced and forehead wrinkles (huge problem for me, and still somewhat of an issue) smoothed out.

-All the creams and masks and other shit every other person in this thread has been talking about in much greater detail than I ever could.

-Vague other hugely life altering factors everyone knows are smart but if you aren't already committed to doing it then skin complexion probably won't make you. So that's healthy diet, less alcohol, smoking, drugs, doing exercise, etc.

Those points somewhat went in order of degree of difficulty, and I assure anyone that once you're in the habit of drinking a lot of water, it will not be difficult.

So that's where you start, a much larger amount of regular water throughout your day. The only way you'll be motivated enough to do the rest of this more difficult shit, is seeing results from simply doubling or tripling your water intake.

My only unique advice is the facial yoga, but you will feel ridiculous (and I'd never admit this to people in real life, because once you look it up, and what you have to do, you'll see why). Be warned that 3-4 months is a relatively short time, I've seen women talk about how it took over a year to start to get a noticeable change. That being said these women probably did a lot of the important things before facial yoga, and were older than late 20's, so it's kind of like a bodybuilder looking to make extra gains, it's going to be tougher if already doing a lot of the basics, compared to the progress a newbie will feel by basically moving any weight whatsoever.

I didn't stress the fact that exercise probably played a big part too, I've lost body fat, obviously less bloated looking, which is vital for your facial features to come through (for me, especially with the side-profile view, which looked like shit looking back on it). This combined with water intake, and also retinol creams and moisturising twice daily, provided a solid base for improvement.

But water is the start, eat that stuff down until it's habit forming, once you've started that and committed to it, you should actually lose some water weight as your body is used to it, from there hopefully this will provide a kick of motivation to go down the more difficult avenues of creams, exercise, lifestyle choices, etc.

If you see results from one thing it will be a boost to get in to doing others, and feel like it's worth it.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:18 pm

I'm afraid to look up facial yoga -- could become a time sink lol

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Rudiger » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:10 am

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:18 pm
I'm afraid to look up facial yoga -- could become a time sink lol
It's not that time consuming, but I guess things can build up with other daily "things I should be doing" tasks. Looking in to and learning it doesn't take long at all, a handful or so of stretching techniques, basically like weight lifting, whatever makes you feel tension and even a burn, that's a good sign, and go with that. To keep a routine going, keep track of how many repetitions you do of each stretching exercise.

I think most would recommend 10mins in the morning and 10mins at night/evening, personally I used to do it while driving, to the point I wasn't even thinking about it (unless in traffic when people might actually see what the fuck I'm doing haha).

But I found that handy, however you can easily do it if you have a routine of say, watching news in the morning, watching the same Tv show at night, you don't have to sit in front of the mirror working on this. I don't think 99% of people would do it if it really took up that sort of concentration.

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Arjen » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:23 am

Thanks for that. Replacing diet coke with water... I‘ve tried for years to get rid of pretty much my only addiction (I don‘t drink coffee, I don‘t smoke), but it‘s tough.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:50 pm

Arjen wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:23 am
Thanks for that. Replacing diet coke with water... I‘ve tried for years to get rid of pretty much my only addiction (I don‘t drink coffee, I don‘t smoke), but it‘s tough.
A lot of the fun of Coca Cola are the bubbles.

Some might enjoy just having sparkling water. You can spike it with a bit of lemon juice. It will still be a mere ~5 calories, which is fine, but you'll have flavor and bubbles.